? How do you make a perfect prime rib roast that is tender and medium rare? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

? How do you make a perfect prime rib roast that is tender and medium rare?

Last post Feb 22, 2008 1:27 PM by piggykins . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • ? How do you make a perfect prime rib roast that is tender and medium rare?

I sure would love to know and my dfil would also like to know - he got one (maybe) for a special price of $1.00 per pound -yeah he couldn't tell ME or buy ME one - how rude lol! Thanks....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"
  • Re: ? How do you make a perfect prime rib roast that is tender and medium rare?
    PERFECT PRIME RIB EVERYTIME  
    prime rib roast with or without bone )any size)
    bottom round center cut
    Preheat oven to 550F degrees.

Make a rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder and apply to meat. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan fat side up.

Roast at 550 at 5 minutes per pound for RARE, or 6 minutes per pound for MEDIUM and 7 minutes per pound for WELL DONE.

Turn off oven at the end of cooking time and DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR FOR TWO HOURS.

At the end of the 2 hours, remove meat from oven to slice; it comes out perfect everytime.

Works the same with Roast beef. Try it you won't be disappointed.

pegg

False

pegg

• Re: ? How do you make a perfect prime rib roast that is tender and medium rare?

550 degrees unbelievable! But if you let it sit in the oven 2 hours won't it get cold? Thanks for the recipe. Paula Deens HouseSesoning might be good on it - what do use use and how much?! Thanks pegg

piggykins

False

Hi Piggy!

This is very close to how I do mine.

cooked a prime rib yesterday, it was fairly small  3 ribs  -   I put garlic slices in the "fat" areas, and I turned the oven on to 450.   I stood the roast on it's narrow side, bone to the top.  Left in the oven for 25 minutes at 450, then turned it down to 250 for about an hour   -  Checked it with my "fork" that tells me what the internal temperature is e.g rare, med, well done etc.

When it was med. rare, I turned the oven off, and just left it while finishing off my vegies, it was very tender, and medium.

Hope that helps. Oh, and use lots of salt & spices to make a nice crust.

Redawna

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

Hi there Redawna! Thank you for tellig me how you do yours - now another question, what if it is boneless? Does it cook in more or less time?  Thanks....

piggykins

False

No, because you don't open that oven at all for 2 hours so it'll be slowly cooling down and the meat still is finishing cooking.  Really works great!!!  I used to put a sign on the oven DO NOT OPEN to keep the kids from looking to see what was in there!  Big Smile 

If you have another oven you could cook some veggies in there but I wouldn't put them in with the roast.  I'll look to see what else I have in my recipes and post them later, ok??  Or in a crockpot -

pegg

False

pegg

I baked our prime rib roast at Christmas time just like Pegg suggested. It turned out perfect-rare, tender and delicious. Try it, you will be amazed at how good it is. I will always use this method from now on. Good Luck!
    False

I cook mine the same way except I use 500º. I have heard this method does not work with some gas ovens because they cool down too quickly. 

I "stud" mine with garlic cloves and coat with Kitchen Bouquet.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I sure want to try this pegg's way - I never heard of (or thought of) the gas stove cooling down to much and that is what I have.  I wouldn't want to ruin such an expensive piece of meat - well any meat for that matter....

piggykins

False

I sure want to make it moist tender and juicy medium rare.  I want to try it - but when it said about gas stove I kinda thought wonder if I should cause that is what I got.  Anybody got a gas oven that tried it? I really don't want to ruin anythin....

piggykins

False