Attention Subway Tuna Lovers: I think I cracked the code!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Attention Subway Tuna Lovers: I think I cracked the code!!

Last post Jan 10, 2013 4:05 PM by sstetzel . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • Attention Subway Tuna Lovers: I think I cracked the code!!

There have been other threads on here about how good the Subway tuna is.  Once I had it I could never find any tuna I liked as well.  Then this week I tried Chicken of the Sea Premium Wild Caught Light Tuna in water in the pouch.  It is a green pouch.  ( 3 oz for $.89 or 7.1 oz for $1.64)  I bought the small one to try, but went back the next day and bought the bigger ones.  I mixed it with real  mayo (Hellman's) just to moisten and a little salt and pepper.  By golly it tastes as good as Subway to me.  I like tuna on toast or my homemade Swedish Rye bread so I have been buying just the tuna from the Subway at our Super Wal-mart.  They give me 3 scoops in a soup bowl for $1.50, which isn't bad, but not always convenient for me to get it there.  Now I can have a great tuna sandwich any old time.   

False
  • Re: Attention Subway Tuna Lovers: I think I cracked the code!!

Thanks, I'm going grocery shopping in a few minutes and I'm going to look for the pouches.

False

bump

False

We've been using the pouches for some time now. I do not eat Tuna but DH much prefers the pouches.

Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Thanks for the info and recommendation.  I have used several popular brands of canned tuna (solid white, water packed type) for many years and have been reluctant to try the new foil packets.......I'm a creature of habit.  I always use Hellmann's mayo, so I will certainly now be receptive to trying tuna from a new form. 

I do enjoy reading reviews about new products, packaging, recommendations, etc.  Thanks again.

Dottie

False

My daughter Kenda worked at Subway and they made the tuna salad themselves. Get ready for this..... Tuna and Mayo. Thats it!

Karla

False
    Karla

The reason I go to Subway for my Tuna Sub is that my "Sweety" works there and he always puts extra love on it just for me. He's actually my Late friend's son and I bake stuff especially for him so he calls me his Sweety. As for the extra love, he will get new vegies and stuff especially for me, and he wiggles his fingers over the sub and after it's wrapped he seals it with a kiss. Not to mention the fact that when he's shaved he looks like Paula Deen's oldest son Jamie. Just wish I was about 15 years younger.

False

Debbie, No tuna you make at home will ever taste as good as your sweety's tuna!Wink

chefly 

False

Nindsy, When I was pregnant with my DD I would eat a tuna sub or salad from Subway severa times a week. I loved them then and still do. I'll pick up some of the tuna and give it a try. Thank you.

chefly 

False

Just an added noet to say my recommendation is specifically for Chicken of the Sea Premium Wild Caught Light Tuna in water in the pouch.  It is a green pouch.  ( 3 oz for $.89 or 7.1 oz for $1.64).  I have tried other brands/selections in pouches but this is the one that tastes like Subway's to me.  There is actually no water, it is a no drain.  You just cut open the pouch and dump. 

False

The garlic/tuna packets are my dh's fav.

False
     Photobucket

I looked at the store yesterday and they had the light but it didn't say wild caught on the front of the package, so I didn't buy it. Do they sell two kinds of light tuna, one that is wild and one that is farm raised?

chefly 

False

http://www.recipesecrets.net/forums/recipe-exchange/18405-subway-classic-tuna.html

Thanks Karla and Nindsay.

Got Curious yesterday and although I rarely eat tuna- ( it's been years) I ordered one  Tuna wrap plain (less bread to confuse my taste test). I agree there are little or no additives other than tuna, mayo and (perhaps some use lemon juice see above site). Although I do not believe Subway buys the packets

( too pricey  for mass production) I bet they'd be good (better) for a Great home version for Tuna lovers. The Mayo brand of your preference  (they likely use the Huge commercial jars but Subway generally offers Lower fat versions which I appreciate)  of course has an impact on the taste. The mayo taste to me was very comparable to the Aldi Fit and Active Brand I like.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Hi Nindsy~ Sounds good, I'll look for it in the store also. Thank-you much!

False

Subway tuna comes in large bags that are drained and the mayo come in gallon jugs. The brand I do not know but it is "light" mayo.  Most likely either a commercial brand or one made specifically made for Subway. 

Karla

False
    Karla