Boxed Angel Food cake mix question. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Boxed Angel Food cake mix question.

Last post Dec 18, 2011 10:09 PM by retiredhoosiermary . 25 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12
  • Boxed Angel Food cake mix question.

Are the 2-step boxed Angel Food cake mixes available any more?  My Mom has me looking for one for her.  I have checked in Super WalMarts and local chain stores with no luck.  Thanks for your help.

False
  • Re: Boxed Angel Food cake mix question.

I personally haven't seen any 2 step mixes in about 15 (?) years. 

False

I know Mom had made a 2-step last fall when I was visiting.  She is hoping they are still being made.  She does not care for the texture of the 1-step.

False

LOL... I don't care for the FLAVOR of the 1 step!  :o)

I just haven't personally seen them in years.... 

False

If you live in Texas and have an HEB grocery store nearby, their store brand is a 2-step mix.

What I would like to know is--why did Duncan Hines quit making their angel food cake mix?

False

The one I have here is Betty Crocker and calls for 1 1/2 cup water to the packaged mix. Is that considered one or two step because they have four steps printed?  Anyway they sell them at our local Wal Mart.

~Jan~

False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~ 

Jan you are referring to the one step! Just add water.  Most angel food cakes don't call themselves one step anymore.  You just need to read the packages I guess....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

Have you tried making it with the "enhanced" angel food cake mix recipe that many of us use on the BB?   It makes the taste and texture so much better.   It's the only way I make them anymore and I use any mix I can find.

False
    Tria

So how do you enhance it?

piggykins

False

I couldn't find the recipe on the search but I think I brought a copy with me.   Let me go look!

You add an extra egg white - a little flour - a little sugar or Splenda and some Vanilla.  It makes such a difference.

I must not have brought it and I can't find it on the BB.  Maybe someone else has the exact amounts.  

False
    Tria

Tria and others,

Here is the recipe you are talking about to enhance a boxed Angel Food cake mix. I have made this several times and I vouch for how fantastic it is!

Review on an old posted recipe - for the new members of the BB - Extra Special Angel Food Cake

(Posted by Tria 3-12-06)

I made this today - have been making it exclusively for my angel food cakes since I first tried the method/recipe. It makes a wonderful cake - tastes and looks extra special.
    I like to put a nice white confection sugar/buttercream icing and "shadow" that with a bit of bittersweet (or semi-sweet) chocolate melted and drizzled around the edge of the white icing and it "drips" down the sides - looks very pretty and tastes great. I also use any of the one-step angel food cake mixes - they all work well.

Tria

Posted by: msrecipe Replies: 44 Posted on: 3/1/2005 12:11:42 PM
    #T482861
    I've had this recipe for a long time and when my MIL passed it along to me in the 1970's it quickly became the only way to make my DH's favorite cake. The secret is in using Duncan Hines brand and adding in 4 other items.

Dottie

Extra Special Angel Food Cake

1 box Duncan Hines angel food cake mix
    1 1/4 cups water
    1 fresh egg white
    1/4 cup sugar (Splenda can be substituted)
    2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Place angel food cake mix in large mixer bowl. Mix sugar and flour together and add to mixer bowl. Add egg white to 1 1/4 cups water and pour into mixer bowl. Follow package directions for mixing. Lastly, fold in vanilla. Pour batter into an angel food cake pan and bake as follows:

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; then reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes.

The above ingredients and two-temperature baking directions will make a higher and more moist cake, without any air holes. I was told to use only the DH brand boxed mix so I don’t use other brands for this particular cake.

Tria

False

--DR

Visit me at my foodie website-- http://www.shockinglydelicious.com Twitter: @shockinglydlish Facebook: Shockinglydelicious

Thank you, Dorothy - that is a great recipe and the cake tastes great.

False
    Tria

I copied that for sure and thank you both so much! I have never seen this posted before so I am very glad that I got this....

piggykins

False

Last time I saw a two step mix was at Save a Lot store.  They are hard to find but I agree I like them better.  Will give the recipe to enhance a try next time I make one.  thanks

Jill

False

I moved to North Carolina and have been doing the same unsuccessful search.  As of two years ago Safeway (at least where I came from in Tucson) carried one, in their generic brand.  And your mother is right, the flavor is tons better then the one step ones.  They don't have that chemical taste, they are lighter, and just a better cake.   Anyway, the key is finding a chain that carries a generic angel food mix... and I would love to hear if you find one.

False