How To Freshen Up A Stinky Bedroom | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How To Freshen Up A Stinky Bedroom

Last post Mar 27, 2008 9:50 AM by twinkle30 . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • How To Freshen Up A Stinky Bedroom

This might b e of interest....

How To Freshen Up A Stinky Bedroom

Being hit with locker room smell when I enter my bedroom is not one of my favorite things. Not to point fingers but let's just say everything I do comes out smelling like roses. But as the one who cleans--and cares--I've developed a routine to keep my master bedroom fresh as a daisy.
    • Don't make the bed as soon as you get up. I know people for whom a made bed is so important they'll make it around their sleeping mate. This just smothers the stink that waits patiently to escape when you turn down the sheets at bedtime. Throw back the covers, go blog, then go back and make the bed.
    • Open the windows. Fresh air is nature's Febreeze.
    • Ceiling fan, box fan, whole house fan: use 'em if you've got 'em. Circulation is death to stench.
    • Vacuum floors often. I go for three times a week; two quick runs and one detailed vacuum under dressers and around baseboards. Don't forget under the bed. Whoever thought up the term "dust ruffle" never took time to meet the dust bunnies under his bed. I keep so much crap under my bed that I'm satisfied that the items displace most of the space where dust can settle so I just go there twice a year.
    • Items that don't hit the floor without me throwing a total hissy fit thereby scaring the offender into never ever putting them on the floor again: damp towels, dirty diapers, stinky socks. Carpet just loves to soak up smells, especially thirty year old carpet like mine.
    • Don't keep a hamper in your room unless you're committed to emptying and sanitizing it daily.
    • Wash sheets,blankets, and pillow cases weekly and as needed. I also wash my mattress pad every other week. If your pillows are more than two years old you're sleeping on Dust Mite City. Find cheap comfy pillows at Target. I don't like the whooshy noise of plastic pillow covers so I double bag my pillows with two pillow cases to help protect them from drool.
    • Dust at least weekly. All solid surfaces (dressers, TV, shelves) plus vacuum blinds, curtains, and dust ruffle.
    • If you have an attached bathroom keep it clean as well or that smell will seep into the bedroom.
    • Use matches to light candles. The sulfur or whatever neutralizes bedroom odors just like it does in the can. If you've tried the new Febreeze candles let me know how you like 'em. Right now I have a couple of soy candles I burn for a few hours each day (on a high dresser out of reach of my kiddos--be safe.)
    • Clean carpets as needed (I do this seasonally) with Folex as a pretreater and a mixture of carpet dry cleaning granules and Borax.

False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
  • Re: How To Freshen Up A Stinky Bedroom

Interesting.  Thank you!

False

Use Oust, its an sanitizer and a surface Disinfectant, and they have 3 smells (I have th fresh air one but they also come in out door smell and citrus)

False
    Amy

Did you see Oprah where a hoader had piles everywhere almost to the ceiling in her 3,000 sq foot home!! I dropped my mouth at how this husband/wife lived and one child even refused to come visit. Well, a professional with lots of help went through everything and it took 8 weeks, I think, to clear out the piles. He mentioned how air needs to circulate in a home or dangerous mold can cause health issues. They almost had to gut the whole house because of the mold. This makes me look at my closets in a different way!! More clothes are getting tossed this week! I love to open the windows and let the fresh air in. Can't wait for the temps to warm up so I can do this.

You have some interesting ideas.  -Dianne

False

hi dianne,

these aren't my ideas - i found this on a very interesting blog.

Oh i have seen messy homes and homes where you can hardly move because of clutter -lol drives me insane.....But since i am not in the USA i haven't seen the Oprah show....

have a nice day -and i am looking forward to spring too - nothing better then fresh air.

Twinkle

False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/