Yellow split peas versus green split peas | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Yellow split peas versus green split peas

Last post Mar 31, 2008 7:46 AM by chefly . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • Yellow split peas versus green split peas

is anyone still up tonight that can tell me if there is a difference between yellow split peas and green split peas...other than the obvious?  i wanted to use my ham bone from easter and make a pot of split pea soup....had no idea there was anything other than green split peas.  is there difference in taste?

False
  • Re: Yellow split peas versus green split peas

We think so...we think they (green) have a more bitter taste to them....I always use the yellow, my mom did too.....They are harder to find for some reason....so I usually get a couple bags when I do find them....

Some people prefer the green...I couldn't find the yellow, so I got the green one time, and one time only....None of us liked them.....

They cook up the same way....

yellow pea = yellow matar dal    Notes:   These have an earthier flavor than green peas. Scandinavians like to use them in soups, while the British use them in their pease pudding.   It's best to buy them split, since split peas don't need to be soaked and cook fairly quickly.    Substitutes:  green pea OR black-eyed peas OR lentils 

False

thank you so much....not knowing the difference and being a bit chicken about trying the yellow ones....i also picked up a bag of pinto beans ....so now i'm in  a quandry as to which ones to cook with my ham bone...yellow split peas or pinto beans.....

False

I'm a yellow split pea fan too. They are more mild, sweeter in flavor than the green and yes, they can be difficult to find. Go with the yellow split peas for your ham bone, I think you'll like it and you won't know until you try it.

chefly 

False