mackerel verses salmon | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

mackerel verses salmon

Last post Apr 06, 2008 4:23 PM by Stimpy_WI_F_50 . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • mackerel verses salmon

Can someone please tell me the difference between mackerel and salmon.  Someone once told me they are aout the same.  Do I make mackerel the same as salmon patties??  Does someone have a great recipe??  Many thanks

EmmyLou 

False
  • Re: mackerel verses salmon

They are two different kinds of fish.  I don't like mackerel.  I do like Sockeye salmon! 

mack·er·el [ mákrəl ] (plural mack·er·els or mack·er·el)

noun 
    Definition:

1. oily fish of N Atlantic: a bony oily fish with a greenish blue body, dark blue bars, and a forked tail. Native to: North Atlantic coastal waters.  Latin name Scomber scombrus.

2. food mackerel as food: the flesh of a mackerel used as food

3. fish like mackerel: a fish that is similar to the true mackerel, e.g. the Spanish mackerel. Family Scombridae.

Another definition:

Main Entry: mack·er·el Listen to the pronunciation of mackerel Pronunciation: \ˈma-k(ə-)rəl\ Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural mackerel or mackerels Etymology: Middle English makerel, from Anglo-French Date: 14th century
    1 : a scombroid fish (Scomber scombrus of the family Scombridae) of the North Atlantic that is green above with dark blue bars and silvery below and is a commercially important food fish

2 : any of various fishes (as the wahoo and king mackerel) in the same family as the mackerel especially when distinguished from the related bonito or tuna by a comparatively smaller size

SYLLABICATION: salm·on
    PRONUNCIATION:   smn
    NOUN:

Inflected forms: pl. salmon or salm·ons
    1. Any of various large food and game fishes of the genera Salmo and Oncorhynchus, of northern waters, having delicate pinkish flesh and characteristically swimming from salt to fresh water to spawn.

2. A moderate, light, or strong yellowish pink to a moderate reddish orange or light orange.

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

• Re: mackerel verses salmon

I'm with Oldgirl - I like salmon but I don't like mackerel.  I think mackerel has a very strong fishy taste...

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast