Ok I have lemon cake mix and lemon pie filling what can I do | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ok I have lemon cake mix and lemon pie filling what can I do

Last post Apr 08, 2008 2:05 PM by Bosox_MA . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Ok I have lemon cake mix and lemon pie filling what can I do

Hi Everyone

I have to make dessert for a meeting on Wed. I have a lemon cake mix and lemon pie filling, surely I can do something with them. Any suggestions??

Lindaspring234.jpg picture by wargofive

False
  • Re: Ok I have lemon cake mix and lemon pie filling what can I do

Hi Linda.    My grandmother used to make us this special treat.   Your post is bittersweet for me, she just passed away on friday and I've been thinking about making these all day:

RE: Jolene's Favorite Christmas Baking Recipes

Finally got my Grandma to hand over this recipe this year to find out how simple it was! But they are a big hit at all of our family gatherings.

Gram O'Leary's Lemon Cupcakes

1 package lemon cake mix -- plus ingredients to make cupcakes
    1 package lemon pie filling -- plus ingredients to make filling
    powdered sugar -- for dusting

Prepare pie filling per box directions up to 1 day ahead. Prepare lemon cake mix according to directions, fill 12 lined muffin cups. Bake according to package time. Allow cupcakes to cool. Using knife, cut cone shape out of top of each cupcake (like making a lid on a jack o lantern). Spoon pie filling into each hole, replace lid. Dust with powdered sugar.

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

This recipe has been on the BB for quite some time. (It's not my recipe) It's great. I don't know why you couldn't substitute lemon cake mix for the white.

Lemon Pillow Cake
    1 white cake mix
    1 can lemon pie filling
    Mix cake as directed on box and pour into a 9x13
    pan. Place spoonful of lemon pie filling in blobs
    over batter. Bake as directed on the box. Let cool
    completely. Cake batter covers blobs, so there
    will be pockets of lemony filling inside.

Frosting
    1 can ready to spread lemon flavored frosting
    1 tub of Cool Whip
    Mix frosting and Cool Whip together and spread
    on cake. This does need to be kept refrigerated.

False

i made a layer cake with mine, and used the pudding as the middle filling.  pretty tasty. 

False

Duh I feel so dumb, I have made the lemon pillow cake before, sounds like a plan.

Thank you everyone

Linda

False

Remember way back when Jaxon posted this one? Since I first tried it, my famly wants it to go with Easter dinner every year.

John

Posted by Jaxon

This dessert came about because I had a failure with Star's Lemon Pillow Cake. I could not get the middle of the cake to get done. Even failed, it was delicious, so I was determined to get it right. The second one was worse so I scooped out the part that would not get done and made this trifle like dessert with what was left. Yummy. The third cake turned out perfect (that's another story) but by that time I wanted more of this stuff. I could not quit eating it! So I turned my third and perfect cake into this bliss too! I am now on my 4th bowl of it!

This last time I did not bother to cook the filling with the cake, just made the cake, then assembled the dessert. I am not sure though, that I don't like it better with the lemon filling cooked WITH the cake. Seems like maybe the filling tasted better when cooked with the cake. I will let you know when I finish this fourth bowl. That would be 8 quarts of Lemon Bliss I have eaten! No, wait, I did give some of it to my neighbors....I really did!

Lemon Bliss

1 lemon cake mix
    1 22 oz. can lemon pie filling
    1 8 oz. Cool Whip

Bake lemon cake as directed. Cool completely. Now is the fun part:

Take a 2 quart clear glass bowl and make layers like a trifle. I just scooped out spoonfuls of the cake and dropped them in the bottom of my bowl. Then plop some spoonfuls of lemon filling around and in between the cake pieces. When you have covered the bottom of the bowl, spread a layer of Cool Whip over it. My bowl was deep enough to make three layers ending with Cool Whip on top. Then sprinkle some cake crumbs over the top for pretty. Refrigerate two hours. Enjoy. Try to stop yourself from sticking a spoon in it all day long.......so you will have a little left to serve after dinner.

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”

Jolene - you have my sympathy about your grandmother.  You and your family are in my preayer.  I copied you recipe,  It sounds so good and easy.

John  I don't remember the recipe for Lemon Bliss - it sounds so good and easy.  I am even going to try that one.  Thank you....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

Sorry Jolene

In my usual runnings yesterday, I didn't see in your post tha tyour granmother had passed away last Friday. I want to offer my condolences and will definately make the cupcakes in her honor

Linda2521ThotsNPrayersjb.jpg picture by wargofive

False

Linda and piggykins, thank you so much.   I appreciate your posts.    

So many great recipes on the thread, I sure miss Jaxon.   I see her name pop up every once in a while, but I haven't seen that recipe of hers, thank you John!

:)
    Jolene

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

I made the Lemon Bliss cake for Easter and it was a big hit-Last week I made it with a chocolate cake mix, chocolate pie filling and squirted chocolate syrup also and it was another keeper.KAte.
    False

Jolene--I too missed this post--condolences to you and your family.  It's very hard to lose your grandma--so many wonderful memories you have tho.

Barb

False