Dumpling recipe from The Joy of Cooking | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dumpling recipe from The Joy of Cooking

Last post Apr 13, 2008 10:46 PM by TriainAtlanta . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Dumpling recipe from The Joy of Cooking

We made Chicken and Dumplings while I was in Oregon - they were delicious.   I usually make the rolled dumplings - which I think are probably more popular in the east and south.

Anyway - my daughter has started making the "puffy" dumplings and this is the recipe she uses.   Since they seemed to like them - I said I would make the "puffy" ones.   Well - I was quite impressed with this recipe and the finished product.   I had made the "fluffy" ones years ago - once or twice but my husband didn't care for them as his mother had always made the "rolled" ones - so that's what I started making.   These were very good - so I thought I'd post them for anyone who hadn't tried these.  They are also very quick and easy to make - quite tasty - and very "fluffy"!

Joy of Cooking Dumplings

Mix together - 2 cups plain flour, 1 TABLESPOON (that's right) baking powder, 3/4 tsp. salt - in a large bowl and set aside.

Bring just to a simmer in a small saucepan:

3 T. butter and 1 cup milk

Add this mixture to the dry ingredients, stir with a fork or knead by hand - 2 to 3 times, until the mixture just comes together.

Divide the dough into about 18 puffy dumplings (I didn't count them but I think we had a lot).  Roll

each piece of dough into a rough ball.   Gently lay the formed dumplings on top of your stew/broth/chicken mixture, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.   Serve immediately.

A great comfort dish!

False
    Tria
  • Re: Dumpling recipe from The Joy of Cooking

Sounds delish! I would be tempted to put some chopped fresh chives in them!

False

--DR

Visit me at my foodie website-- http://www.shockinglydelicious.com Twitter: @shockinglydlish Facebook: Shockinglydelicious

I agree that would be very tasty - unless you have some "diners" that find "green specks" objectionable!   LOL - easy to do half and half, though.

False
    Tria

Grandma, It's nice to see you back home again~  I know you spent quality time with all, especially you new Gs~  Now its right back into the kitchen and I love the sounds of this recipe~  Honestly, puffy dumplings are  the only kind of dumplings I make and I usually use bisquick, but I'll give your recipe a try~   Thanks for sharing your daughters recipe~  Janie`  Such comfort~  Nothing like it !~Coffee

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

We love dumplings Tria . I make them a lot. Thanks for sharing.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Tria  I am confused as usual.... Your recipe seemed to "roll" the dumpling before  you put in the hot  mixture, in the past when I made dumplings I just droped a spoon full into the mixture, is this procedure how you do your rolled or do you mean  in your way of doing the dumplings you roll them out and cut them and in this recipe  you just roll them in your hands to make a rounder appearence.   they sound so good either way ..   Shirely

False

The dumplings sound delicious, I like the dropped fluffy ones also.  I have heard of people using canned biscuits such as grand and I would like to try it if I had the exact instructions such as do you cut them in half or 4th then drop them in the stew or broth  and do you cover then and if so how many minutes.  I know when my mother made dumplings we were always told not to keep uncovering to look at them but wait about 20 min or until toothpick came out clean.  Makes me really hungry for some good old chicken & dumplings.

False

Like Janie, I always used Biquick for my dumplings. I usually make them with stew.  These are probably better tho.

Barb

False

The recipe is straight from the "Joy" cookbook and the rolling - it actually means you "roll" it in your palm -- like you shape and roll the dough rolls - then drop it into the stew/chicken.   Do try this recipe as I think you will really be pleased with the results.   The 1 Tbsp. of baking powder is what makes them so soft and fluffy.   Also - I think the heating of the milk and butter makes a bit of difference.   I'm sure you could just drop them by spoonfuls but I decided to follow the recipe as that was the way my daughter made them.

Yes - it was wonderful being with them and my daughter has been calling everyday telling me how much they miss my "help".   They have a great kitchen and it was fun to cook in - and easy to clean up!

They were making the refrigerator bran muffins this a.m. that I had left for them and I reminded her of a few other items that I had prepared and put in the freezer - she remarked  - oh - we've already eaten those!

My little grandson is so cute and sweet and already has a personality.   He will be 4 weeks tomorrow - he was born on St. Patrick's Day.   His big sister is a big help and seems very proud of her new baby brother.   We took him to her school one day for "show and tell" and most of the children lined up to hold him (after having their hands washed, of course).  It was hard to leave them but I'll be out there later in the summer and early fall.   

False
    Tria