Another Family Favorite: Moist Banana Cake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Another Family Favorite: Moist Banana Cake

Last post Apr 22, 2008 4:29 PM by debbif . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Another Family Favorite: Moist Banana Cake

I made this this morning with some over ripe bananas, and tought I'd share it here with you. I have broken this very easy recipe down so that if a 9x13 cake is just too big for your family, you can have the option of making an 8 or 9" square cake. Our son requests this cake really often. We hope that you enjoy it.

Moist Banana Cake

2 1/2  cups  all purpose flour

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk/or sour milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 large over ripe bananas, mashed*

Measure dry ingredients into a bowl and stir. Add oil, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and bananas. Mix with electric mixer on low for 1 minute. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes. Pour batter into a greased (or Pam sprayed) 9x13 pan.

Bake 35-40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.

Cool and ice with the following frosting:

1 lb. confectioners sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter/or margarine

1/4 cup Crisco

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup milk

Place ingredients in mixing bowl. With electric mixer beat on low speed to combine. Increase mixer to high speed and beat 3-5 minutes until smooth and very creamy.

For an 8x8 or 9x9" square pan

1 1/4 cups flour

3/4 cups sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 cup oil

1 egg

1/2 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 large or 2 medium over ripe bananas*

Icing:

8 oz. confectioners sugar

1/8th teaspoon (pinch) salt

2 Tablespoons butter or margarine

2 Tablespoons Crisco

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

2 Tablespoons milk

*I just squeeze the bananas in their skins to soften, open, and press out into the bowl.

False
  • Re: Another Family Favorite: Moist Banana Cake

Mmmm! Sound yummy Foodguy! Thanks!

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Foodguy, I agree.  This does sound wonderful.  I like the fact that you can make a big or a small one.  Sometimes a small one is all you need or you only have two ripe bananas leftover.  Good to have this recipe on hand. 

Thanks!

sallychai

False

Boy....another one for my file with YOUR NAME on it!!!

PS.... Making YOUR...Tuna Cakes and Peas in the next couple of nites...Was going to have them last night and forgot they needed to set in the fridge an hour first.....Can't wait!!!

False

Sounds Good . I am going to try this. Thanks.BaNaNaS

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I am baking this right now....are we baking it at 350 degrees, or what?

++++++++

Next day: I made it and we love it! My son, 6, said (with his mouth stuffed full of cake), "Mom, you should keep this recipe and make it again!"  I guess they are on to my tricks of always making something new and rarely repeating recipes. 

I cut down the sugar to 1 cup, and that wasn't sweet enough if you are eating the cake without frosting. With frosting, it was perfectly sweet and fine, but any piece without frosting wasn't sweet enough. So next time I would do 1 1/4 cups sugar (I cannot resist tinkering).  I also increased the vanilla to 2 teaspoons in the cake and in the frosting, and that was great!  And I didn't have Crisco, so I just used all butter in the frosting, and that was fine. Mine was done at 30 minutes at 350 degrees, and next time I will test it at 25 minutes to see if it is done then. 

Thank you, Foodguy, for another great recipe, and another way to use up my black bananas. I seem to have a black banana farm on my kitchen counter. 

False

--DR

Visit me at my foodie website-- http://www.shockinglydelicious.com Twitter: @shockinglydlish Facebook: Shockinglydelicious

thanks Foodguy: for the recipe, I'm thinkin it like my Mother's recipe which I can not locate.....

she made such delicious Banana Cakes, , like your idea of making them in smaller ones too.

Gees, & to think my printer is not connected yet. thinkin how to find your recipe on here with the new format????

thanks Paula

False

Hey, I just learned something! If you edit your reply instead of making a new one, it doesn't bump it back up to the first page! Hey, that stinks!

False

--DR

Visit me at my foodie website-- http://www.shockinglydelicious.com Twitter: @shockinglydlish Facebook: Shockinglydelicious

This sounds great. I'm copying this one.  I love your wifes ;fried chicken, so does my Dh.

Linda

False

I made this cake over the weekend.  I made a cream cheese frosting instead of what foodguy posted.  It was delicious and got lots of raves.  Thanks, foodguy!!

debbif

False