Paula Deen's Fried Okra Salad: Deliciously Different | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Paula Deen's Fried Okra Salad: Deliciously Different

Last post May 05, 2008 11:40 AM by starshineeliz_ . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Paula Deen's Fried Okra Salad: Deliciously Different

I saw this in Paula Deen's new magazine last week and knew I had to try it when I had a night off...it didn't look too hard to make and it looked delicious. You've gotta be an okra fan to enjoy it though, which I definitely am! I didn't fool with trying to seed the tomatoes. Also I sliced them top to bottom instead of sideways so that they'd hold together better in the salad. And use a lot of the green part of the onions...I love that part! :)

It's deliciously different. I'll pass this one on to my sister because she'll love it too.

Fried Okra Salad

Paula Deen's Magazine May/June 2008

Barbara Robinson of Angel Fire, New Mexico, sure knows how to make a salad. The fried okra soaks up all of the yummy sweet-sour vinaigrette for an incredible taste experience. The salad has crunchy, tasty bacon too!

1 1/2 pounds breaded frozen okra
    Vegetable Oil for frying
    2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    1/2 green bell pepper, diced
    1 bunch green onions, diced
    6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup distilled white vinegar

Fry okra in vegetable oil according to package directions, drain on paper towels.
    In a medium bowl, combine okra, tomatoes, bell pepper, green onions and bacon.
    In a small saucepan, combine oil, sugar and vinegar. Cook over medium heat, stirring
    frequently until sugar dissolves. Pour over okra mixture, tossing gently to coat.
    Serve immediately.

Star

False
  • Re: Paula Deen's Fried Okra Salad: Deliciously Different

Star, you have rung my bell!!  Love okra and this sounds like a winner!!  Thanks for posting!!

hugs, pegg

False

pegg

Oh, Pegg! It rang mine too. Do you get this magazine? The picture of it is so delicious looking and it tastes just as good as the picture looks. I tried to find it online so that I could post a link to it, but I haven't had any luck. Anyway, it's different, and sometimes that doesn't translate to good, but this one is. It would also be a great conversation dish at any potluck because it's unusual enough that many people will never have heard of it. If I were taking it to a potluck, I'd probably take the okra and the dressing separately and then reheat the dressing wherever I was going and combine them there, so that it doesn't get mushy.

Star

False

I don't have her magazine - wish I did and I'd scan the picture if it's there....sigh... But I'll look for it and see what I can come up with!  I think your idea of mixing it before serving sounds great!  Can't wait to try it!!  I'd probably just eat it myself and take something else to the potluck!!! Wink

pegg

False

pegg

Thank you Star.It sounds different and delicious! I love Okra.

Renate

False

I love, love, love okra. That sounds delicious. I'm going in search of the new magazine tomorrow.

False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey

You're very welcome, Ladies.

If anyone gets the magazine and has a scanner, I'd love to see the picture here with the recipe. I'm trying to learn to post pictures, but I don't have a scanner, nor the brains to figure one out, LOL. :)

Thanks!

Star

False

bumpety bump

False