Looking for recipe for White Pie | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Looking for recipe for White Pie

Last post Mar 10, 2010 11:04 AM by rickanna . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Looking for recipe for White Pie
    I am looking for a recipe for the famous White Pie. It is served at Whittington, Il. and people come from miles around to get a piece. Would anyone happen to have the recipe? Thank you, Char
    False
  • Re: Looking for recipe for White Pie

SOUTHERN ILLINOIS WHITE PIE from Epicurious
    Use double boiler for cooking filling.

6 servings
    Submitted by icarroll1
    July 3, 2005

1 T. cornstarch
    1/2 C. cake flour
    3/4 C. sugar
    1/8 t. salt
    2 C. whole milk
    2 baten egg whites
    1/4 C. sugar
    1/4 t. almond extract
    1 t. vanilla
    1/4 cup chopped pecans

Mix corn starch, flour,1/4 salt, and 3/4 C. sugar.Add 2 C. milk. Cook in a double boiler, stirring constantly till it is thick. Remove from stove, fold in the beaten egg whites which you have added the 1/4 C. sugar vanilla and almond extract.Pour into an already baked pie shell or a prepared grahan cracker crust.Sprinkle with nuts. Cool in frig. until set

False

WHITE PIE RECIPE #72197 from Recipezaar
    In southern IL Burton's Cafe is famous for their White Pie. This is my attempt to replicate it. White vanilla can be found wherever cake decorating supplies are sold and in many kitchen specialty shops. Prep and cook times do not include pie crust. Cook time is chill time.
    by sugarpea

50 min | 20 min prep | SERVES 6 , 1 9inch pie

2 tablespoons flour
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 cup sugar
    1 dash salt
    4 egg whites
    2 cups milk
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 teaspoons white vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    1 9 inch pie shell, baked
    2 cups fat-free whipped topping
    2 tablespoons ground almonds

-- In a saucepan cook flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt,egg whites and milk until bubbling, stirring constantly; continue to cook and stir another 3 minutes.
    -- Remove from heat and add butter, white vanilla and almond extract, stir.
    -- Lay plastic wrap on pudding surface and allow to cool; pour into cool pie shell and chill, again covering surface with plastic wrap.
    -- When ready to serve top with whipped topping and sprinkle with ground almonds.

False

Intresting Post.. I live less than 20 miles from Butons Cafe in So. Ill.  They have wonderful pies there..   bdett

False

Burton's White Pie (1933 recipe)

From Jane Lawrence, Bonnie, Ill. This recipe came from a lady that
    started the "Burton's White Pie Craze". Jane had tasted
    the pie in 1933 & modified it. She gave the recipe to a
    friend that worked across from Burton's in Benton, Illinois. The
    restaurant got the recipe from Jane's friend & the rest is history!

People travel from several states away just to go to Burtons' for this pie...

• 1 cup of granulated sugar, divided     
    • 1/2 cup cake flour
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt                               
    •   2 cups milk        
    • 2 egg whites stiffly beaten                 
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla

• 1 (10 inch) pie shell (Baked)    

• 1/2 pint Whipping Cream

1  Cook 3/4 cup sugar, flour, salt, and milk in a double boiler until
             thick, stirring constantly.

2  Beat egg whites until stiff, adding remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.
                 Fold mixture into cooked mixture along with the vanilla.

3   Pour into a baked and cooled pie shell; top with whipping cream
    .      Chill overnight!

NOTE: If you do not have cake flour, you may substitute 1/2 cup
    regular flour, minus 2 tablespoons and add 2 tablespoons of
    cornstarch, to replace the flour you removed! (for each 1/2 cup)

False
    Bump. I have to go to the library to copy this as my copier will not conect to my computer for some reason. Thank you all so much for the recipes. Char
    False
    Okay, now don't jump on me here, but....I live close to Whittington, but have never eaten at Burton's or eaten a white pie. Is it that good? It sounds sorta bland? I make almost that same pie BUT I add bananas, coconut, pineapple, or something else to add some flavor. Opinions, please! We are headed to Benton today to visit FIL...maybe I need to make a side trip and have pie.
    False

Carol.. I had it a couple years ago and its pretty good... I guess they serve it everyday.. .... I know everone and there brother talk about it.. Let me know what you think...  bdett

False
    Well, I made the filling for the white pie. It is pretty good....but, I'm thinking about putting about 1/3 of the filling in the bottom of a pie crust, drizzling that with caramel ice cream topping (or your own caramel topping) and then adding another third of the filling and then adding toasted pecans, the last third of the filling and then just as you serve it drizzle with a thick hot fudge sauce or shaved chocolate. We can call it Turtle Pie. Or we could add well drained crushed pineapple, chopped pecans (I put pecans in everything), maraschino cherries (if I want to eat this I will wait for fresh bing cherries and use them instead) and maybe some coconut or even sliced bananas. We can call this one Tutti Frutti Pie. This white pie can be a great base for lots of pies. I liked it.
    False
    I have changed my mind!! I tried the white pie with the caramel sauce and pecans and that caramel sauce made the dish waaaay too sweet! And I belong to the Nothing-Can-Be-Too-Sweet Club.......but this was too sweet and too rich. Back to the drawing board!
    False

IMO the white pie is perfect the way it is.  I first had it back in 1971 when I attended RLC.  It was a favorite for lunch.  I moved to Texas, and had to learn to make it myself.  The recipe needs real whip cream to taste the best.

False