cuajitos with green bananas question | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

cuajitos with green bananas question

Last post Jun 28, 2010 7:44 PM by zzzkatzzzz@gmail.com . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • cuajitos with green bananas question

can anyone explain what cuajitos are? i know they are a Puerto Rican food made with pork belly. do you have a recipe for cuajitos with green bananas? any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!

Kat

False
  • Re: cuajitos with green bananas question

kat - I'm not doing this to be mean...it is the only recipe that I could find for cuajitos. Seriously! I've been all over the web and this is it. Hopefully someone can translate it for you or find a better recipe.

CUAJITOS

CUAJITOS
    4 lbs. cuajitos
    ¼ taza vinagre o jugo de limón

12 tazas agua
    1 cda. Adobo Pavochón MAGA®
    1 cebolla troceada
    1 pimiento verde troceado
    4 dientes ajo
    ½ taza cilantrillo

Salsa:
    ¼ taza aceite de oliva
    ½ taza cebolla picadita
    ¼ taza pimiento verde picadito
    1 cdita. ajo triturado
    1 taza salsa de tomate
    2 cdas. harina de trigo
    2 tazas caldo de pollo
    salsa picante (opcional)

Limpia los cuajitos y elimina la grasa. Corta en trocitos de 1” a 2” . Lava varias veces y luego coloca en un molde con agua y vinagre o jugo de limón. Deja reposar por 15 a 20 minutos y escurre.

En una cacerola grande echa los cuajitos, agua y Adobo Pavochón MAGA®  y cocina hasta hervir. Elimina la espuma. 
    Añade la cebolla, pimiento, ajo, cilantrillo y cocina a temperatura mediana por 1 a 1 ½ hora. Escurre y deja enfriar.

Prepara la salsa. En una cacerola mediana echa la cebolla, ajo, pimiento y cocina por 2 a 3 minutos. Añade la salsa de tomate y la harina de trigo. Añade el caldo de pollo poco a poco. Añade los cuajitos y cocina por 10 a 12 minutos.

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

Well I know it is about 2 years since you asked the question and here are the recipies for both the Cuajo and the green bananas en escabeche... hope it helps also cuajo is Hog maw and information can be found int here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hog_maw... well on with the recipie:

Cuajito

Ingredients
    Cuajo
    1 pound of Cuajo
    4-5 garlic cloves
    3 1/2 teaspoons of salt
    4-5 culantro leaves
    1 onion (small)
    3 tablespoons of vinegar
    6-8 cups of water

Sauce
    1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
    3-4 tablespoons of margarine or butter
    4 1/2 teaspoons of flour
    3/4 cup tomato sauce
    3/4 teaspoon of onion powder
    Salt to taste
    Hot sauce to taste (optional)
    Directions
    Cuajo
    1. Remove the fat from the cuajo. Cut into very small pieces and wash very, very well.
    2. In a 1 quart pot of water, add the vinegar and put the cuajito in the water to soak for about 15-20 minutes.
    3. After soaking, strain the cuajito and rinse well.
    4. In a big pot, add the water, salt and the cuajito.
    5. Boil it on high heat. When it foams, remove it and add the cilantro leaves, onion and garlic cloves. Cover your pot.
    6. Lower the heat to medium and cook for about 1 hour and 45 minutes or until the cuajito is very tender.
    7. Drain it and let it cool at room temperature while you make the sauce.
    Sauce
    1. Place the chicken broth and the tomato sauce in a pot and simmer.
    2. While the broth and tomato sauce simmer, melt the margarine or butter on a very low heat and add the flour. Blend it well.
    3. Add the onion powder and salt. Mix well.
    4. Stir in the warm broth and tomato sauce. Turn up the heat to medium and cook for 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
    5. Add the cuajito and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.

Guineitos en Escabeche (Green bananas in escabeche form) 

Ingredients
    2 lbs. guineitos verdes about 10 green guineitos
    1 to 1 1/2 lbs. onions sliced into thin rings
    1 cup white vinegar
    3 to 4 cloves crushed garlic
    10 to 12 olives
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    10 to 12 whole black pepper corns
    3 to 4 bay leaves
    3 cups olive oil or light olive oil
    2 quarts of water
    Directions
    1. Cut the guineito with a knife by cutting off the ends of the guineitos and making a cut alond the outside curves of the guineito skins, but DO NOT remove the skins (don't cut your fingers)
    2. Place the guineitos in boiling water and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of oil to make them peel easier. Boil the guineitos for approximately 20 minutes on medium-low heat. If you boil them too long they will come apart. This is a Rican warning.
    3. While the guineitos cook, make the escabeche sauce by placing all the rest of the ingredients into a pot. Stir them well and place on medium heat until the mixture gets hot. Then reduce the heat to low and cook for approximately 1 hour. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature. I can almost smell the sauce. Yum!
    4. The guineito is done when you lightly stab it with a toothpick and it is tender but firm. Peel off the skins (which at this point will just slide off) and cut the guineitos into 1 inch size rounds and put them in a glass or "Tupperware" bowl. Add the sauce to the guineitos. Stir and mix well. Cover them and marinade them for at least 24 hours at room temperature.
    Extras

Guineitos are simple ordinary bananas but green without a hint of yellow, you will most likely have to buy them at a Latin American store or a Puerto Rican store. If you are going to use a lot of them for big crowds call your local produce vendor and ask for them to hold a case of VERY green bananas - ask them not to "gas" them and keep them refrigerated.

Enjoy them my jibaros!!!

Share the Escabeche and show them what they have been missing

False
    thank you alexv3....i had forgotten i had asked this question but better late than never! lol thanks for all the extra info on where to get the Guineitos...i appreciate the time you took to help me. :)
    False
    Well...my 16 yo ds told me to go to translate.google.com and paste in the whole spanish recipe---voila! The things you learn from your kids! 4 lbs. cuajitos ¼ cup vinegar or lemon juice 12 cups water 1 tbsp. MAGA Pavochón ® Marinade 1 onion, chopped 1 chopped green pepper 4 cloves garlic ½ cup cilantro Sauce: ¼ cup olive oil ½ cup minced onion ¼ cup chopped green pepper 1 tsp. minced garlic 1 cup tomato sauce 2 tbsp. wheat flour 2 cups chicken broth hot sauce (optional) Cuajitos cleans and removes grease. Cut into small pieces 1 "to 2". Washed several times and then placed in a mold with water and vinegar or lemon juice. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes and drained. In a big casserole of cuajitos, water and MAGA ® Pavochón Adobo and cook until boiling. Eliminates foam. Add the onion, pepper, garlic, coriander and cook on medium heat for 1-1 ½ hours. Drain and let cool. Prepare the sauce. In a medium saucepan pour the onion, garlic, peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add tomato sauce and wheat flour. Add the chicken broth gradually. Add the cuajitos and cook for 10-12 minutes.
    False
    thanks Aubie2...i should have thought of that! lol
    False