Will this cream cheese base dip freeze ok? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Will this cream cheese base dip freeze ok?

Last post May 28, 2008 11:04 AM by TriainAtlanta . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Will this cream cheese base dip freeze ok?

I make this all the time but I have never frozen it?   Do you think it would freeze ok - only for a few days.

Salmon Party Mound

1 lb. can salmon
    8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1 T. lemon juice
    1 tsp. grated onion
    1 tsp. prepared horseradish
    1/4 tsp. liquid smoke (don't omit)
    You can add a drop or two or Tobasco - if you like!
    1/2 c. chopped (fairly fine) pecans
    3 T. snipped/minced fresh parsley (I have also used dill and have also just set it on a dill lined platter.
    SERVE W/ ASSORTED CRACKERS OR CRISP BREAD

Drain and flake salmon. Remove skin and bones.
    Combine salmon w/ cream cheese, lemon juice, onion, horseradish and liquid smoke. Mix well. Chill several hours or overnight. Shape salmon mixture into a ball and roll in nut mixture. Chill again, and serve w/ assorted crackers.
    I serve it a lot by lining a fish mold w a little miracle whip or mayonaise (paint sides of mold very lightly) - just enough to get the oil/grease on pan - sprinkle the chopped nuts & parsley and then place salmon mixture in mold, packing well. When I turn it out, I then sprinkle a little parsley on top
    being sure to not leave any nuts in pan. You can serve it on a parsley or dill lined plate/dish. Whichever you prefer. Try the parsley first as sometimes the dill is not for everybody. It is very popular at parties and I like that it can be made ahead. Enjoy!

False
    Tria
  • Re: Will this cream cheese base dip freeze ok?

We make a similar dip with crab. I haven't had much luck freezing it. Upon thawing, it's flavor is fine, but the texture isn't too appealing. It sort of "seizes up" and the water separates. Stirring doesn't help. It's fine for me...I'll eat just about anythingEmbarrassed I wouldn't serve it to company though.

Hope that helps :)

deb

False

Debster is right.   I never freeze anything made with cream cheese .  It loses the creamy consistancy after thawing. 

False

I worked in a bakery one time and someone froze the cream cheese - they nearly got fired. It was a whole case and it was ruined. Never a good idea to freeze cream cheese!

S

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

That's what I suspected - thanks - I'll give the rest of it away!     I probably should have taken the whole recipe last night as they went through the part I took so fast - but I didn't want to "spoil" her lovely dinner.   Guess I could "pig out" on it today!

Triainatlanta

False

Right on the Cream Cheese box it say's not to freeze. Sorry.

False

That's helpful if your cream cheese package says '"not to freeze".  I buy the neufchatel cheese most of the time (because it is 1/3 less fat) and none of the brands that I have give that helpful hint.  I actually have used the frozen neufchatel in "baked goods" without problems but I was doubtful about the use in an "uncooked" product.  
    False
    Tria

My curiosity got the best of me - so I froze a small portion of the dip - (remember it was made with Neufchatel cheese) as my packages had no warnings about "NOT freezing".   It was fine - didn't "seize" or change in texture.   I only wanted to "not waste" the dip (or eat it all myself) and just freeze the remaining until the end of the week when I'm having a garage sale and having a few friends over to help - and want to have snacks on hand.  Food is way too expensive (nowadays) to waste and I'm always wary about keeping seafood dips/products on hand too long.

This is one of our favorite dips - even men who THINK they don't like cream cheese - like it.   If you do decide to freeze it (for a short time) be sure you use the Neufchatel cheese - works - and tastes - like cream cheese but has less fat.

False
    Tria