How can I keep burgers and hot dogs warm? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How can I keep burgers and hot dogs warm?

Last post May 28, 2004 6:57 AM by minivanmom13612 . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • How can I keep burgers and hot dogs warm?
    I'm cooking out for my daughter's graduation party. How can I keep grilled hamburgers and hot dogs warm without them drying out? Thanks for your ideas.
    False
  • RE: How can I keep burgers and hot dogs warm?
    How long do you have to keep them warm? When I need to keep foods warm, I put an ovensafe platter in the oven and turn it to 200º and put the food on the platter as it's cooked.
    False
    Dairy Queen uses a liquid smoke mix to keep their hamburgers warm ,, (atleast the one that go to does). just use a shallow pan,with the hot mixture in it,,put the cooked hamburgers and hot dogs in it and then when you serve the meat just do a flare-up on the grill.. (be sdure the grid is hot and just do a final heat,,
    Loosenut M IN
    False
    The grilled hamburgers placed in a cooking bag and then placed in a slow cooker on low should keep them warm and moist. If you notice them starting to seem dry then just add alittle moisture (beef broth or water) Some seem alittle dry when cooked so that should take care of that too.
    With young people, after you start serving, there will be not problem.*lol* They usually inhale burgers.

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

It would be like a steam table,,or if you dont want to use the liquid bath, make a small steam table.
    Loosenut M IN
    False
    The very best thing I've found is the duo coolers that cool AND heat.

Barring that, I've had good luck with hot dogs when I boiled over a hundred for my DD's kinder graduation. Just boil them as you normally would and wrap them in foil in bunches. Then stick them in a good cooler. They stayed plenty warm that way.

Did the same with buns. Beth
    False
    At school we make over 500 burgers and what they do is after a batch is done cooking, they are put in an oblong pan and they have a mixture of the beef bouillon and hot water in a container. They pour that over the burgers and cover the pan with foil, just have it sitting on the counter until they need it , the mixture is watered down more then normal so it doesn't give the burgers a strong flavor.

I just called a lady I work with and she said she does this at home but puts it all in her crockpot on low setting. When the guests arrive, she turns the crock pot completely off, they will stay warm a long time.

Good luck with the party!!!
    False
    I think I worded that wrong, she puts the burgers along WITH the beef/water mixture in the crockpot.
    False
    I would say a crockpot or an electric roaster for a larger quantity. How many will you have?
    False
    I don't know how long you want to keep them warm, but whenever we cook burgers and hot dogs, I put the meat on the bun using all the buns and then put them back in the bag the buns came in putting the twist tie back on. That was they steam for a little while making the buns very fresh tasting.
    False
    Thanks for the suggestions. It's hard because I have no idea how many to expect. People don't seem to R.S.V.P. these days! Does the broth take away the charcoal grilled taste?
    False
    Check with your church ladies' group. Our's has 2 roasters they lend out any time someone needs to use them.
    False
    Here's what I do when I have to keep a big amount of hamburgers and hot dogs warm. I make a sauce of the following and put it into crockpots, add the hamburgers and hot dogs that have already been cooked. Just keep the crockpots on low. It works out great and the hamburgers and hotdogs are not "dried out".

2 T. shortening
    1/4 to 1/2 c. chopped onion
    1/2 c. chopped celery
    Brown the onion & shortening in the shortening
    Add the following ingredients and simmer:
    1 c. ketchup
    2 T. vinegar
    2 T. brown sugar
    1/4 c. lemon juice
    2 T. mustard
    1 T. worcestershire sauce
    1/2 t. salt & pepper
    This only makes a small amount, but the recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc. If a thinner sauce is desired, add a little water.

I usually make 2 separate crockpots, one for the hamburgers and one for the hot dogs.

I got this recipe from an Aunt and have used it on many many occasions!
    False
    Here's what I do when I have to keep a big amount of hamburgers and hot dogs warm. I make a sauce of the following and put it into crockpots, add the hamburgers and hot dogs that have already been cooked. Just keep the crockpots on low. It works out great and the hamburgers and hotdogs are not "dried out".

2 T. shortening
    1/4 to 1/2 c. chopped onion
    1/2 c. chopped celery
    Brown the onion & shortening in the shortening
    Add the following ingredients and simmer:
    1 c. ketchup
    2 T. vinegar
    2 T. brown sugar
    1/4 c. lemon juice
    2 T. mustard
    1 T. worcestershire sauce
    1/2 t. salt & pepper
    This only makes a small amount, but the recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc. If a thinner sauce is desired, add a little water.

I usually make 2 separate crockpots, one for the hamburgers and one for the hot dogs.

I got this recipe from an Aunt and have used it on many many occasions!
    False
    bump
    False