The Absolute BEST Yellow Squash Casserole I have ever made | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

The Absolute BEST Yellow Squash Casserole I have ever made

Last post Sep 12, 2010 4:39 PM by GFEZ6 . 32 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 123
  • The Absolute BEST Yellow Squash Casserole I have ever made
    I started making this thing last summer and I made it a bunch! It is just delicious. It's too hot to turn the oven on right now, but when it cools down a bit and I get some squash, it'll be the first thing I make again.

No doubt there are other wonderful casseroles out there, but I haven't tried them yet, smile.gif

Original recipe was Paula Deen's but I got it from my sister.

Absolute BEST Yellow Squash Casserole

This is my very favorite Squash casserole in the world and an added benefit is that Sydney really likes it, and she would NEVER eat yellow squash before we started making this one. When I warm it up the next day, I make a little more of the Ritz topping and warm it back up in the oven so that the topping is crisp again, and it's just as good as the first day you made it. Another tip is that I don't saute the squash and onion separately as the original recipe called for....that took longer and used more pans....I just do them both in a little butter and oil. I start the squash first since it takes longer and add the onion after about 10 minutes.

6 cups yellow squash, sliced into ½ inch rounds- (5 or 6 medium sized ones)
    2 Tbsp oil plus 4 tbsp butter
    2 medium sweet onions, cut into slices (DELICIOUS with vidalias)
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp pepper
    4 Tbsp butter
    2 sleeves Ritz crackers, crushed

Preheat oven to 350

Saute squash and onion in oil and butter over medium-low heat until tender, about 15 to 20 min.
    Mix squash, onion, sour cream, cheese, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Pour into a medium, buttered casserole dish (use my medium oval white casserole) Melt 4 Tbsp butter and mix with crackers. Top casserole with buttered cracker mix and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and browned on top.

Star
    False
  • Re: The Absolute BEST Yellow Squash Casserole I have ever made

This sounds GREAT! Thanks Ms. StarYes

Linda

False
    Photobucket

I just know this is going to be wonderful.! Thanks for sharing....Yes

I'm thinking brocolli & cauliflower during the winter time would work too........Stick out tongue

False

Click for McMinnville, Oregon Forecast

Yum-yum, in the tum-tum..lol. Star, I've been off my tootsies for almost a month so my garden is sparce, but I did get in a yellow squash. So printing this out pronto. Thank-you much!

(btw, do you ever put squash in your salads? another goodie)

Jill

False

I am going to copy this one and try as soon as we have some yellow squash in the garden.  I guess zuch. or a combination of the two would work too.  Would make it kinda colorful to use the two of them.  Thanks for posting as we usually have more of these than I know what to do with.  Anna

False

This certainly does sound Good. Thankyou very much Miss Star.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Sounds wonderful Star and with those buttery Ritz crackers in there I can only imagine how Ritzy this one is~  JanieYesCoffee

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

I hope all of you DO try this...it is really one of my favorite vegetable recipes. I cannot imagine anyone NOT liking this thing, even if you're not a yellow squash fan. Sydney would NEVER eat it and she loves this and asks for it.

Star

False

Star I made this recipe last evening and it was delicious! Kerry thought at first it was the onion cassarole that someone had posted and I made which he loved as well. I told him that is was your best ever squash casserole recipe, he sat down and ate it with spaghetti and meat sauce and hot crusty buttered rolls. Took some down to a neighbor and she tried it and went Ummmmm, it is delicious Connie, and I said I got it off the recipe board . Thanks for a winner and a keeper. By the way, I used Club crackers instead of the ones you had listed, everything else was the same. Hugs, Connie

False

Connie, thank you for also adding your review to this thread so that anyone who pulls it up will see it! I'm  so happy you liked it. I really love this thing!

Star

False

Oh this sounds so good,,, now if I just had some squash I would make it today.. Thanks for posting..  bdett

False

You're very welcome! It's awesome so I hope you try it!

Star

False

This does sound yummmy!  I just may have to make up for Father's day!  Thank you!  :)

False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

False

Click for McMinnville, Oregon Forecast

I made this on Sunday.  It was wonderful.  I was a little skeptical because of the cheese, but oh my goodness.  Had a tiny little bit left over and it reheated in the microwave just fine.  I'm craving it again.  Thanks, Star - it's another great recipe.

I sauteed the onions and squash together until they were just on the verge of carmelizing.  Also, I omitted the salt because the crackers have plenty.  

Suziee 

False