homemade grape wine | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

homemade grape wine

Last post Jun 13, 2008 8:24 PM by Smokegrub . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • homemade grape wine

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade grape wine.  Would appreciate it

if you do have one.  Thanks

False
  • Re: homemade grape wine

THE 7 EASY STEPS TO HOME WINE MAKING

1. Prepare the wine making produce by cutting up larger fruit, busting skins on smaller fruit, chopping up fruits such as raisins, and bruising any produce like ginger root, etc. Also, any large pits should be removed. It is also important to understand that you can over-process the produce. Food processors, blenders and such should not be used for this purpose. Doing so will cause too much bitterness from the skin and seeds of the produce to be incorporated into the resulting wine.

2. Stir together all of the wine making ingredients called for, EXCEPT for the YEAST, into a primary fermenter. Collect any pulp in a fermentation bag and submerge the bag into the wine making mixture. Add water to equal the batch to 5 gallons. Then add 5 Campden Tablets. They should be crushed up before adding. Do not add the wine yeast at this point in the process. Adding the wine yeast at the same time you add the Campden Tablets will only result in destroying the yeast.

3. Cover the fermenter with a thin, clean towel and wait 24 hours. During this waiting period the Campden Tablets are sterilizing the juice with a mild sulfur gas. After 24 hours the gas leaves the container making it then safe to add the wine yeast.

4. Sprinkle the wine making yeast over the surface of the juice and then cover with a thin, clean towel. Allow this mixture (must) to ferment for 5 to 7 days. You should start to see some foaming activity within 24 hours of adding the yeast. Typically, 70% of the fermentation activity will occur during this 5 to 7 day period.

5. After 5 to 7 days remove the pulp from the fermenter and discard. Siphon the wine into a secondary fermenter in a careful manner, so as to leave the sediment behind. You can easily remove the pulp by lifting out the fermentation bag. Wring out any excess juice from the bag. Siphon the wine off the sediment without stirring it up. Get as much liquid as you can, even it some of the sediment comes with it. If necessary, add water back to 5 gallons.

6. Attach a wine making air-lock and fill it approximately half-way with water. Allow the juice to ferment for an additional 4-6 week period or until it becomes completely clear. You may want to verify with your hydrometer that the fermentation has completed before continuing on to step 7. The hydrometer should read between 0.990 and 0.998 on the Specific Gravity scale. Be sure to give the wine plenty of time to clear up before bottling.

7. Once the wine has cleared completely, siphon it off of the sediment again. Stir in 5 Campden Tables that have been crushed and then bottle. When siphoning off the sediment, unlike the first time you siphoned the wine, you want to leave all of the sediment behind, even if you lose a little wine.

40 lbs. grapes need 6 lbs. sugar- 2 TB. yeast-3/4 tsp. pectin-1 TB. acid blend and 1 tsp. wine tanin

False
    WEBSITE: http://mkmac4.tripod.com/ FORUM: http://doodlebug4.proboards47.com/index.cgi/ Aspire to inspire before you expire!

I think it would be easier and cheaper to just go buy a bottle at the store.

False

I don't remember exactly what my mom did, but I remember "Balloon Wine" which required grape juice concentrate.  I remember she put the mixture in a dark jug and put a balloon over the jug's opening, then put it in a dark place.  When the balloon was blown up, the wine was ready.  Maybe a search for "Balloon Wine" would give the recipe?

False

I have a grape recipe and I may have the ballon recipe for grape wine. I'll look them up later & post them. We are about to leave for a Dr. appt. I used he grape wine recipe to make blackberry wine & it was delicious.

Marilyn

False
    • 13 (32 ounce) bottles white grape juice
    • 1 1/2 gallons filtered water
    • 7 1/2 cups sugar
    • 1 package yeast

Directions

Pour grape juice into 5-gallon container.
      Bring water and sugar to a boil until sugar is melted.
      Let cool.
      Pour into container.
      Add 1 pkg yeast (activating beforehand is optional).
      Close with airlock stopper.
      Allow to ferment for 3 weeks in a sanitized 5-gallon container.
      After 1 additional week, bottle.
    False
    WEBSITE: http://mkmac4.tripod.com/ FORUM: http://doodlebug4.proboards47.com/index.cgi/ Aspire to inspire before you expire!

Homemade Dry Concord Grape Wine Recipe

1 gallon water
    10 lbs Concord grapes
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
    1 package wine yeast

Bring water and sugar to boil in a large pot. Separate grapes from stems and place in primary fermentation container. Crush grapes and pour water into container. Let cool until room temperature. Stir in yeast nutrient and yeast. Cover and let sit for 1 day. Ferment for 3 weeks stirring once a day. Strain through mesh bag into secondary fermentation container. Let rest for 1 month. Rack and let sit for 2 months. Rack into bottles and let rest for at least 9 months before serving.

Homemade Sweet Concord Grape Wine Recipe

1 gallon water
    4 cups sugar
    6 cups Concord grapes
    1 Campden tablet
    1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 package wine yeast

Bring water and sugar to a boil. Crush grapes in primary fermentation container. Add water, crushed Campden tablet, yeast nutrient, and lemon juice. Let cool to room temperature. Add yeast, stir, and cover. Let rest for 1 week. Strain into secondary fermentation container and airlock. Rack every month for 8 months. Place in bottles. Wine will be ready in 1 year.

Homemade Balloon Wine

1 package of active dry yeast (found in any grocery store in the baking supply section)
    4 cups granulated sugar
    1 12-ounce can juice concentrate (you can use any juice except from citrus fruit)
    4 quarts water
    1 sterile gallon glass jug
    1 large latex balloon
    1 rubber band
    Mix the yeast, sugar, and juice in the jug. Fill the jug up with water. Rinse out the balloon and fit it over the opening of the jug. Place the rubber band over the balloon. Place jug in a cool dark location for one day. The balloon will start to expand. The sugar in the wine will turn to alcohol and the gasses released will fill the balloon. When the balloon completely deflates (usually in one to two months), the wine is ready to drink. Enjoy!

False

Grape Wine

Pick off grapes, wash, mash & cover with water. Put in 2-3 cups of sugar & stir well. Let set for 3 days, then strain & add as much water as you have juice. Put in 2 lbs. of sugar to 1 gallon of juice. Put it gallon jugs and let work off through a tube into water. (Use soda bottles of water) (you can tell how old this recipe is, there aren't many soda bottles any more)I'd say you could use a fruitjar to put the water in. When it quits working, strain & bottle. It is very good with blackberries.

I'm glad someone had  balloon recipe. I couldn't find mine.

Marilyn

False
    There are a few great websites with forums where the members will be delighted to introduce you to home winemaking. There you will find that you can make excellent wines using various fruit and even kits which will produce wines the equal of those costing $50 or more a bottle. Your initial cost to make quality wines is relatively small when compared to most hobbies and, except for expendables, and the equipment can be used over and over again. Bottles can either be purchased or can usually be obtained for the asking at various restaurants, friends, etc. I have been making wines for several years, and I love the hobby. My first wine was made using Welch's 100% Frozen Concord Grape Concentrate. My most recent were a Cellar Craft International Showcase Viognier and a hard lemonade. The latter is excellent to sip over ice on a hot summer day. A couple of quality sites I suggest you may want to check out are: Fine Vine Wines http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/default.asp Wine Press http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php
    False