Has anyone bought Trisha Yearwoods new cookbook? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Has anyone bought Trisha Yearwoods new cookbook?

Last post Jun 16, 2010 10:21 PM by BEACH_BUM_GA . 43 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (44 items) 123
  • Re: Has anyone bought Trisha Yearwoods new cookbook?

Chicken-Broccoli Casserole
    Ben Fink
    By Trisha Yearwood

Makes 10 servings
    Work: 20 minutes
    Total: 1 hour

Ingredients
    Vegetable cooking spray, for dish
    2 cups cooked rice
    3 cups chopped cooked broccoli
    6 cups shredded, cooked, skinless, boneless chicken breasts (1 1/4 lbs.)
    1 can (10 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
    3 cups (10 oz.) shredded cheddar
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Directions
    1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Evenly spread out rice in dish. Cover with broccoli.
    2. In a large bowl, combine chicken, soup, 1 1/2 cups cheese, the sour cream, mayonnaise, juice, salt, and pepper. Pour over broccoli and top with remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 40 minutes.

Nutrition facts per serving:
    374 calories
    25g total fat
    10.5g sat fat
    615mg sodium
    14g carbs
    253mg calcium
    77mg chol
    23g protein
    1g fiber

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

German Chocolate Cake With Coconut Frosting
    Ben Fink

By Trisha Yearwood

German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Frosting 

German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Frosting
    Makes 12 servings
    Work: 1 hour 25 minutes
    Total: 3 hours 30 minutes

Kitchen cue: If you can't find fresh or frozen unsweetened coconut, use the shredded sweetened variety and pulse in a food processor until finely grated. Reduce sugar in frosting to 3/4 cup; proceed with recipe.

Ingredients
    For cake:
    4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
    1 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pans
    1/4 cup warm milk
    2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising), plus more for pans
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    5 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
    2 cups sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    3/4 cup buttermilk, well shaken
    Vegetable cooking spray, for rack

For coconut frosting:
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup evaporated milk
    4 medium egg yolks
    1/2 cup unsalted butter
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    10 oz. fresh or frozen grated unsweetened coconut, thawed if frozen
    1 1/2 cups finely ground pecans, walnuts, or almonds

Directions
    1.Make cake: Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (making sure water doesn't touch bottom of bowl); stir until smooth. Add 1/4 cup butter and stir until combined well. Stir in milk until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
    2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter bottoms of three 9-inch round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper and butter paper. Lightly flour and set aside.
    3. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. In a mixer bowl, whisk egg whites on medium-high speed to stiff peaks; transfer to another bowl. In mixer bowl, beat together sugar and remaining 3/4 cup butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in chocolate mixture and extract until combined well. Reduce speed to low and alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl, until combined. Fold in egg whites until incorporated with no streaks of whites remaining. Evenly divide batter among prepared pans.
    4. Bake until cakes begin to pull away from sides of pans and spring back when lightly touched, 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer cakes in pans to a wire rack and let cool 10 minutes. Lightly coat a large wire rack with cooking spray. Run a knife around sides of pans and turn cakes out onto rack; peel off paper and let cool completely.
    5.Make frosting: Meanwhile, in the top of a double boiler or a heatproof bowl, whisk together sugar, evaporated milk, and egg yolks until combined well; add butter. Place over a pan of simmering water (making sure water doesn't touch bottom of bowl) and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until very thick, 12 to 15 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in extract, then coconut and nuts. Let cool completely.
    6.To assemble: Place one cake layer on a serving platter; spread top and sides with frosting. Repeat with remaining two layers.

Nutrition facts per serving:
    810 calories
    49g total fat
    26.5g sat fat
    444mg sodium
    88g carbs
    124mg calcium
    226mg chol
    11g protein
    4g fiber

False

Father's Day Recipes
    Breakfast Sausage Casserole

Breakfast Sausage Casserole

By Trisha Yearwood

You see this recipe a lot in the South. It's great because you do all the work the night before; the next morning, this wonderful meal bakes while you're having a nice, leisurely cup of coffee! Beth makes this on Christmas Eve so it can bake Christmas morning during the present­-­opening ­frenzy.

Ingredients:
    6 slices white loaf ­bread
    1 pound fresh bulk pork sausage with ­sage
    10 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, ­grated
    5 large eggs, lightly ­beaten
    2 cups half­-­and­-­half
    1 teaspoon ­salt
    1 teaspoon dry ­mustard

1. Cut the bread into 1­-­inch cubes and spread in the bottom of a greased 9 x 12 x 2­-­inch ­casserole.
    2. In a medium skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat until fully cooked and no longer pink. Drain off and discard the rendered fat.
    3. Spread the cooked sausage over the bread and top with the cheese.
    4. Stir together the eggs, half­-­and­-­half, salt, and dry mustard. Pour this mixture over the cheese.
    5. Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 8 hours or ­overnight. The next day, preheat the oven to ­350ºF.
    6. Bake the covered casserole for 50 minutes, or until set and slightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow the casserole to set for 15 minutes before ­serving.

Serves 12

False

I do not have Trisha's Cookbook but these are recipes from her which I have collected  over time through magazines, the Internet and her TV appearances.

False

The chicken pie is one of the recipes I made and Donnie said it was one of the best recipes he had ever eaten and it was really good. Thanks for posting the recipes. It is so hard for me to type.

False

The Chicken Pie does look Delicious. Thanks for letting me know how it turned out !

False

Trisha Yearwood Gives Fans a Peek Inside Her Nashville Kitchen!

Trisha Yearwood gives fans a peek inside her Nashville kitchen in the GAC special, Trisha Yearwood: From Our Kitchen To Yours.

False

Alliea, you are just a jewel!  Thank you so much for posting these, and the pictures along with them just makes it so much better. Would love to have a piece of that German Chocolate Cake right now!  I believe she said that was Garth's favorite.

Star, I don't know when I'll ever be able to purchase the book, either.

Carolyn

False

(AP Photo/Larry Crowe)

You may need to trim the pineapple rings to ensure they all fit evenly in the pan for this pineapple upside-down cake from Trisha Yearwood's cookbook, Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen.

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Start to finish: 1 hour (20 minutes active)

Servings: 4

3 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup light brown sugar

9 slices canned pineapple in juice, drained

5 maraschino cherries

1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup vegetable shortening

2/3 cup sugar

1 large egg

3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

2/3 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Place the butter in an 8-by-8-inch pan and place in the oven to melt. When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the oven. Tip the pan to spread the butter evenly over the bottom of the pan.

Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter. Arrange the pineapple rings over the butter, making three rows. Cut each cherry in half and place one half at the center of each pineapple ring, cut side up. Set aside.

Over a sheet of parchment paper, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Sift again. Set aside.

In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until fully combined. Mix in the vanilla.

Starting and ending with the flour mixture, blend in the dry ingredient and milk, alternating between the two. After each addition, stir only enough to combine.

Carefully pour the batter into the pineapple-lined pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean.

Run a knife around the edges of the pan, then place a serving plate upside down on top of the pan. Invert the cake onto the serving plate. Wait several minutes before removing the pan to allow the syrup to soak into the cake.

False

bump for poster

False

Lizzie’s Old-Fashioned Cocoa Cake with Caramel Icing-Trisha Yearwood
    Serves 12
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So what’s my birthday cake of choice? Chocolate cake with caramel icing. Yum! Most people have tried white cake with caramel icing, by my grandma Elizabeth Yearwood spread that amazing Caramel Icing on chocolate layers, and it was even more delicious. The cake recipe came from my grandma Paulk. I guess I could call this Two-Grandma Cake! Now my mom makes this cake for me every year. The Caramel Icing has a mind of its own, so you never really know what it’s going to look like, but it doesn’t matter to me. It always tastes amazing!

Note from Gwen: I have had more deliciously edible failures with this icing then with an other. I never make it the same way twice! As a young teacher in Dawson, Georgia, I boarded with Mrs. Mary Lou Alexander, who made a fabulous Caramel Icing. Her daughter, Kathy, has graciously shared the recipe.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 cups all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup cocoa
    1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
    ¼ teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup (1 ½ sticks) butter
    1 2/3 cups sugar
    3 large eggs
    ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/3 cups water

Caramel Icing
    4 cups sugar
    1 cup milk
    1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
    1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and lightly flour 2 9-inch cake pans.
    Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, and salt, and set aside. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Add the flour mixture alternately with 1 1/3 cups water, beginning and ending with flour.

Divide the batter evenly between the pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Turn the layers out onto racks that have been sprayed with cooking spray.

Mix 3 cups of the sugar and the milk in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Bring slowly to a boil and keep it hot. Caramelize remaining cup of sugar in an iron skillet. Do this by cooking over medium-high heat and stirring and scraping the pan with a flat-edged spatula as the sugar melts. Continue to cook until the syrup turns to medium or dark brown in color. This occurs at about 320ºF to 350ºF on a candy thermometer. Do not scorch the syrup. Stream the syrup into the boiling sugar and milk mixture and cook to the soft ball stage, about 238ºF. Add the butter, soda, and vanilla.

Pour the hot mixture into the metal bowl of an electric mixer and beat as it cools until the icing is creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Spread on the cake layers while the icing is still warm. If it becomes too stiff, add a few drops of hot water.

Note: Makes more than enough to frost 2 9-inch cake layers. Leftover frosting can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, rewarmed, and used to frost brownies or cupcakes.

False

Thank you Alliea. I am bumping to find later in case you put more in here. I already copied what you posted and that cake does look yummy and so did the cookies YUM!
    Everything sounds and looks good. Slyrp!Stick out tongue

Oh...I better go cook supper, I'm hungry now LOL.

~Jan~

False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~ 

Hi Jan - I read a lot of rave reviews on the net about this book and several of the pictures sure captured my attention.

I have not had Pineapple Upside Down cake in a long while and the Chicken Pie..............looks great.

I will add the Italian Cream Cake someone was kind enough to put on another post.

Ps- I watched the  Food Network Star competition  last night and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for mmentioning it Jan.

~Alliea

False

Susan! Thanks for posting so many yummy recipes! Copied and savedYes

Linda

False
    Photobucket

Gm Linda (Waving)

TRISHA YEARWOOD'S ITALIAN CREAM CAKE

I have her cookbook. 

INGREDIENTS

2 cups all purpose flour

1t. baking soda

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

1/2 cup veg. shortening

2 cups sugar

5 large eggs, seperated

1 cup buttermilk, well shaken

1 t. vanilla

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1 cup sweetened coconut

. CREAM FROSTING

8 oz. cream cheese, room temp

4 T. (1/2 stick) butter, room temp.

1 lb confectioners' sugar

1 t. vanilla

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350*. Grease and lightly flour 3 - 9" cake pans.

Sift the flour and soda together and set aside.

With electric  mixer, cream the butter and the shortening with the sugar until fluffy, about 5 min.

Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well between each addition.

With the mixer on med. speed, add the flour and the buttermilk alter. beginning and ending with buttermilk.

Add the vanilla, coconut and nuts and stir well to incorporate.

In separate bowl with clean beaters, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks

. Gently fold the egg whites into batter, just until blended.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 25 min. or until done, when top bounces back.

Cool the layers on wire racks spray to prevent sticking.

With an electric  mixer, beat the cream cheese with the butter on high speed until fluffy. Reduce the speed to med. and blend in sugar and vanilla. Beat well until frosting is smooth.

When the cake is completely cool, spread the frosting betweenthe layers and on the sides and top of the cake. Sprinkle with the nuts.

Misssherri

SHERRI
    False