Carol1229's Favorite Recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Carol1229's Favorite Recipes

Last post Aug 27, 2014 10:00 AM by carol1229 . 553 replies.

Rate This

Forum Jump:
Page 28 of 37 (554 items) < First2627282930Last >
  • Re: Carol1229's Favorite Recipes

I find myself using my pressure cooker more and more these days. It makes quick work of cooking dinner, and the meat always comes out tender.

I've made bourbon chicken in a skillet before but never tried it in a crock pot. I ran across this recipe in one of the pressure cooker books I have here and decided to give it a try. It uses simple ingredients and I even had the boneless, skinless chicken thighs that the recipe called for.

I like giving the meat I'm browning for use in a slow cooker or pressure cooker a light dip in seasoned flour before browning. I decided on a touch of cayenne and paprika along with onion powder and garlic powder-that combination worked out great.

Since it's apple cider season, I used that in the sauce rather than apple juice.

The original recipe was written for use in an electric pressure cooker-mine is a stove top one so it only took 6 minutes once the pressure reached High (15psi) to cook the meat through. 

I was so pleased with the end result-the meat was cut with a fork tender and delicious. Once the sauce was thickened with a cornstarch and water "slurry", it became silky smooth and was the perfect coating for the chicken thighs and noodles I served with them. 

What a feast!  This is so delicious-and the leftovers were even better.  There's a little background "bite" from the red pepper flakes and ginger but it's not hot by any sense of the word.

This will be going into the regular rotation for sure-if chicken thighs aren't in the freezer, I bet it will be just as good with boneless skinless chicken breasts.

If you love pressure cooking, I highly recommend this one-it's a winner!

Carol

PRESSURE COOKER BOURBON CHICKEN THIGHS

1/3 c. all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    2-2 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
    1/2 c. apple cider
    1/2 c. chili sauce
    3 Tbsp. lite soy sauce
    1 Tbsp. bourbon liquor *
    1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    2 tsp. cornstarch
    1 Tbsp. water
    Hot cooked noodles or rice

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a resealable plastic bag-mix well.  Add the chicken thighs a few at a time; shake to coat, tapping off excess flour.

Heat the olive oil in the bottom of the pressure cooker over medium/high heat.  Brown the chicken thighs a few at a time on both sides.  Remove the chicken to a plate as they brown; set aside. 

Add the apple cider to the pressure cooker and stir, scraping up any browned bits. Add the chicken; stir in the chili sauce, soy sauce, bourbon, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, crushed red pepper and ginger, mixing well to coat the chicken in the sauce.

Place the lid on the pressure cooker and lock, making sure to put the regulator valve on top.  Bring up to High pressure.  When regulator starts to rock, set a timer and cook on High pressure (15 psi) for 6 minutes.

Do a quick release of the pressure cooker by bringing the cooker to the sink and running cold water on the edge of the cooker lid until the pressure drops (keep water away from any valves).  Remove lid and remove chicken to a platter.

Combine the cornstarch and water; whisk until cornstarch dissolves. 

Bring the liquid in the pan back to a boil.  Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and let the sauce simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.

Serve the chicken thighs on noodles or rice drizzled with the sauce.  4 servings.

* The alcohol does cook out, but if you don't want to use bourbon in this recipe, substitute 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar. 

False

I missed this gem! Love all the pictures!

False

Thanks FOOTSIE-I hope you find some new recipes to try! :)

I don't get the chance to bake cookies as often as I'd like to any more-with only 2 of us in the house, cookies can cause a lot of problems sitting in a container tempting us. So...when Christmas rolls around I love trying at least 2 or 3 different cookies to put on cookie trays for gifts.

I just have to make at least one gingerbread cookie during the holidays.  The aroma of ginger, molasses, cinnamon and nutmeg sings Christmas.  I always make gingerbread cookies for my 2 grandsons, and when I saw this cookie on Barbara Bakes' blog, I knew I had to try them too....all the ingredients were close at hand.

I have gotten into the habit of freezing Hershey Kisses right away when I get them home from the store. One-it keeps them out of my reach so I won't nibble and two, when making cookies such as these, I've found that using the kisses frozen keeps the shape of the kiss on the cookie.  This works especially well with the kisses with a liquid center, like caramel and cherry cordial.  The first time I  used those two flavors without freezing them-YIKES what a mess!  They exploded from the heat of the cookie. Popping them on the cookie while they're frozen solid allows the bottom to melt and adhere to the cookie but the rest of the candy keeps its shape-AND doesn't explode-which allows all flavors of kisses to sit in the center of all kinds of cookies.

That's what I did here.  I unwrap as many candies as I'll need, put them in a bowl and return the bowl to the freezer while the cookies are baking.  Once I remove the cookie sheets from the oven, I grab the bowl of candy and pop one in the center of each cookie, let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for a minute or two, then transfer the cookies to wire racks and let them sit for a while until the chocolate stabilizes.  The kiss will get soft but still retain its shape.  If I'm in a hurry for the chocolate to set-I pop the cookies onto a tray and into the refrigerator OR take them out to the table on our screened in porch-winter in New England makes my porch a great second refrigerator!

The only thing I added to these cookies was a touch of black pepper.  You can't taste it in the cookie but it adds another level of warmth with the other spices.

These cookies are FABULOUS!  I made the dough a few days ahead and popped it in the refrigerator so it was ready when I started my cookie bake-a-thon.  I love the blend of white chocolate with the gingerbread flavor......absolutely delicious.

Thank you Barbara for sharing another great recipe-this one is going into my favorite cookies file for sure!

Carol

WHITE CHOCOLATE KISSED GINGERBREAD COOKIES
    (Source: Adapted from McCormick and Barbara Bakes)

3 c. all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. ground ginger
    1 tsp. ground Saigon cinnamon
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
    3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/2 c. molasses
    1 large egg
    1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    1/4 c. granulated sugar
    55-60 white and milk chocolate swirled kiss-shaped candies, frozen solid, unwrapped

Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and pepper in large bowl; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar on medium speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla; mix well.

Gradually add the flour mixture, beating on low speed until well mixed.

Place the cookie dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough into 1" balls; roll in granulated sugar to coat. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown. While the cookies are baking, unwrap the amount of candy kisses needed, place the unwrapped candy in a small bowl or on a plate and return them to the freezer while the cookies are baking.

Remove the cookies from  the oven and immediately press a frozen candy kiss into center of each cookie. Let cookies sit on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes, then remove the cookies from the pan to wire racks to cool completely and allow the chocolate to set. 

Store cookies in airtight container up to 5 days.  Makes 55-60 cookies.
    False

I always shied away from making cut out cookies until I found this recipe.  It's been my GO TO recipe from the first time I tried it.  I LOVE the idea of adding instant pudding mix to the cookie dough. 

Cyndy had sent me a couple boxes of instant gingerbread pudding mix that she found on vacation last year and I LOVED it.......well, I was beyond happy when I heard that Jell-O reintroduced it and it was in our area along with an instant candy cane pudding mix.........of COURSE my grocery store didn't carry them, but I finally did track them down at the local K-Mart after doing some online searching.  I stocked up on plenty of both because I had plans for them. I kept a box of each out for Christmas baking and tucked the rest of them away in the freezer.......just in case they disappear from the shelves forever.

I had made snowflakes with this same dough last year and used the gingerbread pudding mix-they came out great. My youngest grandson just loves gingerbread men so this was going to make it easy.  Then I saw a cute idea on Pinterest about turning the gingerbread man upside down and making reindeer cookies with them.  Lofty goals had I......half of the gingerbread men would be decorated right side up, the other half upside down.

I added some ground cloves to the cookie dough to amp up the spices-it added a nice touch. I made the dough on Thursday and tucked it in the refrigerator for my big baking day on Sunday.  I baked off all of the cookies on Sunday and decorated them on Monday.

What fun!  I've included a link for the Royal Icing recipe I use and love.  I'm no decorator that's for sure but that icing sure makes me feel like I can do it! I used a #2 round tip for all of the piping.

I was really pleased with the way they both came out.  I used the Mini M&M baking pieces for the buttons on the snowmen and candy sprinkle hearts made the "cheeks." The nose and holly berry on the reindeer are the mini M&Ms and mini chocolate chips made the eyes in the center of the drop of royal icing. I didn't want to fool with tinting icing and changing decorating tips, so I rolled some gumdrops thin and cut triangles for leaves.  For ease in cutting them, wet your knife with warm water, then dip the cut edges in granulated sugar.  Each piece of candy on both cookies was "glued" on with royal icing.

I had a lot of fun making these and they taste delicious too.  I also love the whimsy they added to my cookie tray.

This recipe is so versatile. Depending on how thick you roll the dough, you'll get chewy cookies or crisp cookies if the dough is rolled thinner. And the taste?  Delicious.

I switched it around and made another cut out cookie with a different flavor pudding this year too.  Have fun making your own recipes using the instant pudding mix that's your family's favorite!

Carol

GINGERBREAD MEN AND REINDEER
    (Source: Adapted from Best of Country Cookies cookbook)

1/2 c. butter (no substitutions), softened
    1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    1 (3.4 oz.) pkg. instant gingerbread pudding mix*
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon 

Cream butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg.

Combine flour, dry pudding mix, baking soda, ginger, cloves and cinnamon; gradually add to the creamed mixture beating on low speed just until mixed.

Gather dough and form into a square disk, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to roll. I always make the dough a few days ahead of time.

Remove dough from refrigerator; let sit 15-20 minutes to soften slightly.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/8" thickness for chewy cookies, 1/16" thick for crisp cookies. Cut into desired shapes with your favorite cookie cutters.  Reroll the dough scraps Place 1" apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden. Let cookies sit on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
    Frost and decorate cookies as desired. The amount of cookies you get from this dough depends on the size cookie cutter you use.  I got about 4 dozen cookies using the gingerbread cookie cutter I have.

I use Royal Icing recipe found HERE to decorate the cookies, using 8 Tbsp. water and adding 1 tsp. vanilla extract to the batch.  I cut the recipe in half and had more than enough.

*NOTE: If you can't find the Gingerbread instant pudding mix in your area, butterscotch pudding makes a great substitute.  These are also good with the instant pumpkin spice pudding mix if you have some of that left from the fall.

False

I love recipes that you can easily swap out ingredients for to create something new.  That's how it is with the Gingerbread Men recipe I used this year.  With all the different flavors of instant pudding on the market-I have a kaboodle of flavor variations for any occasion that I want to make cut out cookies for.

Along with the Gingerbread instant pudding I snagged this year, Jell-O also offered Candy Cane instant pudding.  You'd better believe I grabbed some boxes of that too. I knew just what I wanted to make with it. 

I love adding snowflake cookies to a Christmas cookie tray. Last year I did them in gingerbread-this year I opted for peppermint.

I used the same recipe as the Gingerbread Men and Reindeer, swapped the brown sugar for granulated sugar, used the Candy Cane instant pudding and to be sure I had enough peppermint flavor, added peppermint extract along with a touch of vanilla.

I made the dough ahead of time, formed it into a disk, wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator. All I had to do on cookie baking day was take it out of the refrigerator and leave it a few minutes on the counter for it to warm up a bit. The scraps rerolled nicely so there was no dough wasted. 

I'm not great at rolling cookies the same thickness so some came out a little thinner-which made them crispy. That's OK with me. The ones I did manage to get 1/8" thick were chewy-the thinner ones were crispy.  I was happy with both!

I used the same Royal Icing to decorate these as I did the Gingerbread cookies.....the only thing I did differently was as soon as I finished piping, I held the cookie over a dish of sugar and used a spoon to sprinkle sugar over the wet icing, then tapped off the excess. It adds a nice sparkle and a sugary crunch once the icing dries.

The flavor? Delicious. The peppermint isn't overpowering.....Bob even liked the flavor and he isn't a fan of mint. My daughter Robin said this was her favorite cookie on the tray this year-she and I both love peppermint.

If you can't locate the Candy Cane instant pudding at your local K-Mart (that seems to be the only store that carries it and the Gingerbread flavor), I would suggest using vanilla instant pudding mix and adding more peppermint extract to the dough to get the peppermint flavor.  Some finely crushed peppermint candies would add flavor too.

I hope I can find more reasons to make this cookie recipe during the year....I can't WAIT to play with all the other instant pudding flavors. Valentine's Day will be here before we know it........Hmmmmmmmmm.... :)

Carol

PEPPERMINT SNOWFLAKE COOKIES
    (Source: adapted from Best of Country Cookies cookbook)

1/2 c. butter (no substitutions), softened
    1/2 c. granulated sugar
    1 large egg
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp. pure peppermint extract
    1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 (3.4 oz.) pkg. instant Candy Cane pudding mix*

Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla and peppermint extract until well mixed.

Combine flour, baking soda and pudding mix; gradually add to the creamed mixture, mixing until well combined. Cover dough and refrigerate until firm enough to roll-preferably overnight. 

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/8" thickness. Cut with a snowflake cookie cutter or cookie cutter of your choice.  Place 1" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake @ 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate as desired.

The amount of cookies you get from this dough depends on the size cookie cutter you use.  I got about 4 dozen cookies using the snowflake cookie cutter I have.

I use Royal Icing recipe found HERE to decorate the cookies, using 8 Tbsp. water and adding 1 tsp. vanilla extract to the batch.  I made half the recipe and had more than enough to decorate all the cookies I made.  After piping the icing onto the cookie, I held the cookie over a bowl of either colored or plain granulated sugar and sprinkled sugar over the wet icing with a spoon, then tapped off any excess sugar.  Allow the icing to completely dry before storing the cookies. 

NOTE: If instant Candy Cane pudding is unavailable, substitute instant vanilla pudding mix and increase peppermint extract to 1 1/4-1 1/2 tsp.
    False

I like to put a cookie on my cookie trays that will be the perfect mate with a cup of coffee or tea........something simple-rich, buttery and just plain good.

I was going to make some cookie press cookies but flat out ran out of time.  Poking around the Internet, I saw this cookie from Aimee @ Shugary Sweets and I knew this was the one.

I've never had Keebler's "Jingles" cookies but the way Aimee described them, they sounded just like what I was looking for.  What really intrigued me was the mixture of nutmeg and anise extract.  That's one combination I never would have thought to use. 

The dough comes together quickly-I used a little all-purpose flour on one of my flexible cutting boards to form the dough into a log-I made mine 2-2 1/2 inches in diameter.  A tight wrap in plastic wrap and into the refrigerator it went to spend the night.  When I make refrigerator cookies such as these, I place the wrapped dough log in a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels that's slit open before putting it in the refrigerator.  The cardboard forms a "cradle" for the dough and keeps the round shape as it's chilling~works like a charm.

A quick slice the next day, a sprinkle of "Christmas sugar" and into the oven they went. 

What a wonderful cookie this is.  The nutmeg flavor stands out~you can't really taste the anise extract , it adds a little something in the background that marries so nicely with the nutmeg.......a "hmmmmm what IS that?" flavor. 

This cookie fit the bill-it's the PERFECT side kick to a nice cup of tea.  It added just the touch I wanted to my holiday cookie assortment.

Thanks so much Aimee for sharing this cookie recipe-it's a winner in my book!

Carol

HOMEMADE JINGLES COOKIES
    (Source: Aimee @ Shugary Sweets)

1 c. unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 c. confectioners' sugar
    1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1/4 tsp. kosher salt
    1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. pure anise extract
    Red/green sugar crystal sprinkles

In a mixing bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar on medium speed of electric mixer until well combined. Beat in anise extract.

Combine flour, salt and nutmeg; beat into butter mixture. Dough will be crumbly. Use your hands to form the dough into a ball. Lay the dough on a piece of plastic wrap and roll it into a log shape. Wrap tightly; refrigerate until well chilled. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheets with parchment paper.

Unwrap the cookie dough log and slice it into 1/4" thick slices.  Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle the top of each cookie with red/green sugar.

Bake @ 350 degrees oven for 13-15 minutes or until cookies are set. Let sit on the cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes; remove to a wire rack and cool completely.

Store in air-tight container. Makes 2 1/2-3 dozen.
    False

I love Biscoff ANY month of the year....but especially when it comes to adding it into cookies.  That flavor just can't be beat.

I had seen this recipe back in February and somehow it got lost in the shuffle of "to try" recipes in my file.  I did have some chocolate hearts frozen but they were swirled with raspberry or strawberry......I preferred sticking with something chocolate for the center.

In looking over the ingredients list,  the first thing that came to my mind to add to the recipe was a little vanilla-then I remembered the Watkin's Caramel Extract I had in the baking cabinet.......caramel and Biscoff?  OHHHH yes that would work. Those 2 ingredients, plus a little cinnamon and a touch of salt and I was all set to get started.

I made the dough ahead of time and refrigerated it for a couple days.  I decided to use Hershey Caramel Kisses that I had frozen in the center, so while the cookies were baking, I unwrapped the amount needed.  From the looks of the photo on Stephanie's blog, I thought they'd be like the peanut butter cookies in my Peanut Blossoms recipe. 

Good thing I looked in the oven partway through baking-those doggone cookies were SPREADING not baking in the nice ball shape I thought they would.  ARGH!   NOW WHAT?   I had some chocolate "stars" frozen so since they were a little wider than the Hershey Kisses, I counted out the amount needed.  They worked fine but I was still disappointed that the cookies spread as much as they did.  I recall the dough being quite soft when I made it but I wasn't worried because I was going to refrigerate it. The recipe calls for rolling it into balls right away-that wouldn't have worked-I would have had  to add more flour. When I make these again-which I will-I will most likely give that a try.

Having said that-the flavor in these is AMAZING. The cinnamon-y flavor of the Biscoff adds a nice touch to the cookie and that little bit of cinnamon and caramel flavor with a hint of vanilla all blended so well.  

Will I make them again?  You bet. Of the new recipes I tried, I think this was Bob's favorite cookie on the tray. They really would have been good with the caramel Hershey kiss in the center-but then, Valentine's day is around the corner-and those Dove hearts will be appearing again. I think I'll be grabbing a few bags of them for the freezer to make these cookies for this year's cookie tray....never hurts to think ahead, right?

Carol

BISCOFF COOKIES
    (Source: adapted from Stephanie @ Plain Chicken)

1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
    1/2 c. Biscoff spread
    1/2 c. granulated sugar
    1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp. caramel extract
    1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    Granulated sugar for rolling
    Milk chocolate "stars", Hershey Kisses or Dove chocolate hearts, frozen solid and unwrapped

In a large bowl, cream butter and Biscoff spread with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg, vanilla and caramel extract; beat until well mixed.

Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture, beating until well mixed.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Shape dough into 1" balls; roll in granulated sugar. Place 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake @ 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes.

While cookies are baking, unwrap candy and place in a small bowl; return to the freezer. Remove cookies from the oven; immediately press one frozen chocolate candy into each cookie. Cool on pan for 1-2 minutes; remove from pan to wire racks and cool completely.  Makes about 3 dozen.
    False

This is the last new cookie recipe I tried for my cookie trays this Christmas.  It's another one that has been sitting in the "to try" folder for some time.  I needed one more cookie to round out the tray-something in chocolate would be nice-and since I'd been making dough all day, something easy would be even nicer.

This recipe fit the bill nicely......and since it has Nutella in it?  How can it NOT be a good one?

I had stashed some of the 18.25 oz. cake mixes in my freezer when I realized that all the companies were downsizing their mixes so I grabbed a chocolate one along with the jar of Nutella.  I've made a lot of variations on the Gooey Butter Cookies but never one with Nutella. I used a heaping half cupful of Nutella and just to add another level of chocolate, I added 1/2 tsp. chocolate extract along with the vanilla.

As with all of the cookies I make that have to be rolled in confectioners' sugar, I first roll the dough balls in granulated sugar, then immediately in confectioners' sugar.  The granulated sugar helps seal some of the moisture into the cookie which allows the confectioners' sugar not to "bleed" into the baked cookie and turn a grayish color.  Since there's cream cheese in these and the cookies are so moist, the confectioners' sugar doesn't hold on the outside as well as some but I think it does a better than if the dough is rolled directly into the confectioners' sugar without a granulated sugar base.

The taste of Nutella isn't overpowering-I'd call it more of a background taste.  I'd almost be afraid to add more Nutella to the dough because it may make it too soft to roll into balls.  I was very happy with the cookie flavor-they're soft , chocolatey and almost melt in your mouth.  They're just what I wanted for my cookie tray collection.

I know I'll be making these again.......someday.  For now? I think I'm pretty "cookied out"!  That's OK-I'll be ready and rarin' to go when the holidays roll around again. :)

Carol

NUTELLA GOOEY BUTTER COOKIES
    (Source: adapted from Stephanie @ Plain Chicken)

1 (18.25 oz.) pkg. chocolate cake mix
    1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 c. unsalted butter,  softened
    1 large egg
    1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp. chocolate extract
    1/2 (heaping) c. Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)
    Granulated and confectioners' sugar for rolling

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth, light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg, vanilla and chocolate extract until well mixed.  Add the Nutella; beat until well combined.  Add the cake mix; beat until well mixed.

Cover the bowl and refrigerate the batter for at least 2 hours or until very well chilled (I do the batter a couple of days ahead of when I want to bake).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Roll the chilled batter into 1-1 1/4 inch balls.  Roll the balls of dough in granulated sugar then roll them in confectioners' sugar.

Place the dough on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.  Bake @ 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes. The cookies will remain soft. Makes about 3 dozen.
    False

I honestly didn't know if I was going to participate in this week's challenge.  Cranberries aren't something I reach for that often after Thanksgiving and Christmas, and if I do, it's usually dried cranberries for baking.

Since I'm pretty much "baked out" after making cookies for Christmas, and we're ready to get onto a weight loss spree this week, I wanted to avoid any baked goods appearing in this house.

How was I going to work around that???????

One of the "Kitchen Goals" I set for myself this year is to start using some of these cookbooks I have in this house. My plan is to pull  a cookbook off the shelf and try at least one new recipe out of that book. 

I happened across this cookbook while looking for something else and since it was a Thanksgiving one, thought maybe it would have some new ideas using cranberries of some kind.  Did I ever hit the jackpot!  The photo of this salad called my name and I had pretty much everything in the house to make it.

I didn't have Bibb lettuce as the original recipe called for, but had some Romaine lettuce that would work nicely. 

We're not fans of Brie cheese, so I chose to substitute creamy, smooth Monterey Jack in its place.

I thought about using a mix of Gala and Granny Smith apples but when I saw I had 2 perfect Gala apples waiting, I decided to use just those.

A few handfuls of dried cranberries, the last of the fresh celery and some toasted walnuts and I was well on my way to a finished salad.

I opted to use white balsamic vinegar in the dressing over plain white vinegar. For me, sometimes white vinegar can be a little "harsh" in flavor, especially in homemade salad dressings.  The white balsamic turned the dressing more of a pink color than the red dressing shown in cookbook photo.  That's OK-the taste is still wonderful.

I was a little leery as to what Bob would think of a cranberry vinaigrette.  He usually sticks with a Caesar or Italian based dressing. One taste and he was hooked.  He said more than once how good the dressing is.  It's the perfect addition to the slight sweetness of the apples and dried cranberries.  We love the creaminess of the cheese and the crunch of the celery and walnuts....and the crispy Romaine worked beautifully.

I'll be making this salad a lot this winter.  It's so hard to find good salad mix ins during the winter like tomatoes and such-and it's always fun to think outside the box with different salad creations.  We've always loved fruit added to salad and this one is no exception.

Thanks for the challenge, Sue-it got me to think outside my cranberry comfort zone and try something new!

Carol

APPLE-WALNUT SALAD WITH CRANBERRY VINAIGRETTE
    (Source: adapted from Pillsbury Thanksgiving cookbook)

CRANBERRY VINAIGRETTE:
    1/2 c. jellied cranberry sauce
    1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
    2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
    1 Tbsp. grated orange peel
    2 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
    2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
    1/4 tsp. kosher salt

SALAD:
    2 medium Gala apples, cut into bite-size pieces
    3 medium stalks celery, sliced
    3/4 c. dried sweetened cranberries
    8 c. torn Romaine lettuce
    3/4 c. cubed Monterey Jack cheese  
    1/2 c. chopped walnuts, toasted

For the dressing, place the cranberry sauce, olive oil, sugar, orange peel, vinegar, orange juice and salt in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process for 15-20 seconds or until smooth. The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 2 days; let stand at room temperature about 1 hour before serving.

For the salad, place about 1 cup of lettuce on 8 medium plates.  

Stir together the apples, celery and cranberries; divide the mixture evenly among the salad plates. Sprinkle the top of each salad with with cheese and walnuts.

Serve with the cranberry vinaigrette. 8 servings.

NOTES: Brie cheese may be substituted for the Monterey Jack.

Cut up pears can be substituted for the apples, or use a combination of both.

Toss the apple cubes in a little orange juice to keep them from browning.

False

Sue-the "Cole Crop" challenge you posted today couldn't have come at a better time....I just made a great recipe using a vegetable on the list.

We love homemade macaroni and cheese-it's our, shall I say, DOWNFALL?  Comfort food to the maximum.  I don't make it often because it's hard for both Bob and I to control our portion size...it's just too darned good to stop eating! 

We love broccoli too....a lot. 

In keeping with my plan to use these cookbooks I have here, I grabbed a book off the shelf the other night to see what recipe-or recipes-I could find to make for dinner.  Given we haven't been grocery shopping for almost 3 weeks, I had a limited supply of ingredients on hand to pick from-especially fresh ingredients.

When I saw this recipe, I went looking in the refrigerator to see if I had what I needed and sure enough, it was all there waiting.  One quick trip downstairs to my canned goods shelf and I was in business.  This was the perfect side dish to go with the new roast pork recipe that was baking in the oven.

I didn't have any elbow macaroni, but I did have a box of mini pasta wheels that I thought would work nicely in this casserole.  I love using the mini pastas in different shapes in casseroles....there are so many fun shapes to choose from to add variety to casseroles, soups or whatever other recipe small pasta is used in.

This dish is so easy to put together.  I chose to briefly steam the broccoli florets rather than add them to the water the pasta was cooking in.  Since the dish was going to spend a little time in the oven baking off, I didn't want the broccoli to become too soft.  A quick 2 minutes in the steamer and it was good to go.

While I was waiting for the pasta water to come to a boil, I put together the cheese sauce.  I didn't have quite enough cheddar cheese so added some Colby-Jack cheese to give me the 2 1/2 cups.

I would have loved to use the cornbread crackers for the topping, but I wasn't about to run to the store and buy a box of them just for this recipe.  I had some wheat crackers here-just enough, in fact-so I crushed them up to sprinkle over the dish before it hit the oven. 

This is one decadent delicious velvety macaroni and cheese.  The evaporated milk gives you a rich, silky smooth sauce. The broccoli was cooked perfectly after the baking time-cooked through but not overly soft-and the crushed crackers added a nice crunchy topping. 

When I make this again, I'll stir all the cheese into the sauce rather than hold a cup of it back to sprinkle over the top with the cracker crumbs. I'm just as happy having all the cheese in the macaroni mixture.

This recipe has been marked 2-thumbs up for us. I'll make it every so often when we want to have a "cheat night" and give ourselves a nice helping of comfort food.

Thanks for the challenge, Sue-there are quite a few "Cole Crops" that we love.  I hope the grocery store has some nice fresh cauliflower, broccoli and/or cabbage this weekend so I can poke around for some more new recipes using one or more of our favorites,

Carol

BROCCOLI MAC AND CHEESE BAKE
    (Source: adapted from The Best of Country Cooking 2011)

3 c. uncooked small pasta, such as mini wheels, shells, or elbow macaroni
    4 c.  fresh broccoli florets
    1/2 c. butter, cubed
    3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/8 tsp. salt
    2 (12 oz. each) cans evaporated milk
    2 1/2 c. (10 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
    1/2 c. crushed wheat crackers

Steam the broccoli florets for 2 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a 9" square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

For the sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan. Stir in the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and salt until smooth; gradually stir in evaporated milk. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. cook and whisk for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Remove from the heat; stir in 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese.

Cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain. Return the  cooked pasta to the pot it was cooked in; stir in the steamed broccoli. Pour the cheese sauce over top; stir until well mixed.

Spread the pasta in the prepared baking dish; sprinkle with cracker crumbs and the remaining shredded cheese.

Bake, uncovered, @ 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.  12 servings.

False

I don't know how I missed these gems, especially the Bourbon Chicken Thighs.

These have my name all over them. Only thing, my pressure cooker is at home so I won't be able to make them until we return home. Thanks for all the hard work. All that typing certainly takes a great deal of time. latinrose

False
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes their way alone, All that we bring into the lives of others, Comes back into our own. "Guiding Light" latinrose

Thanks latinrose-I'm glad you're finding some new recipes to try-and those Bourbon Chicken Thighs are delicious!  I hope you enjoy them. :)

What? TWO new recipes for this challenge? Yes indeed......

I was filing away magazines yesterday and happened to thumb through the October/November Taste of Home just to see what I'd dog-eared.  Lo and behold.....in the contest winner section, there was a photo staring back at me of a side dish using all of the ingredients I had on my "use it up" list for dinner. 

We've been in love with Brussels sprouts since I made them using the recipe Rosie shared a few years ago.  I've been meaning to branch out and try other recipes for them but none ever really "spoke" to me until last night-probably because this one fell right into my I-HAVE-to-use-these-vegetables-TONIGHT plan.

I  didn't really deviate from the recipe much.  The only ingredient I added was some chopped onion-about 1 cup-I add onion to just about everything that has garlic in it, so this recipe was no exception.

I did cut back on the garlic because the cloves I have here are HUGE......4 did the job nicely.  The packet of bacon that I took out of the freezer to use had 6 slices in it, so that's what I used.  That was plenty for us.  The dish wasn't loaded with it but there was more than enough to impart the bacon flavor.

I had a good size head of cauliflower and a pretty big package of Brussels sprouts.  I didn't measure to see if I had 4 cups of each-I figured if the mixture looked dry when I stirred it with the oil that I'd just add a splash more.  It was fine-all the vegetables coated nicely.

I usually shred Parmesan cheese myself with the Microplane but I also buy a tub of mixed Parmesan and Romano in the specialty cheese section at the grocery store to use when recipes call for grated rather than shredded cheese.  We like the mix of two cheeses-and it worked perfectly in this recipe.

I used my half sheet pan-it's about 18x13x1-inch-rather than two 15x10x1-inch pans that the recipe called for.  It gave me plenty of room for all of the vegetables to spread out in a single layer. 

I love the golden brown edges you get from roasting vegetables-and it brings out a "sweetness" too.  It took about 25 minutes total time in my oven on convection mode to get the sprouts and cauliflower cooked through.  We like our vegetables crisp-tender, so that time worked great for us.  I would suggest if you like your vegetables cooked through more, add the baking time to get them close to the texture you want them before adding the cheese. 

Bob and I give this recipe a big 2 thumbs up.  The bacon adds a nice smoky background to the crisp-tender vegetables and that touch of cheese sends it right over the top.

When there's a good sale on Brussels sprouts and cauliflower at the grocery store, I know just the recipe I'll be making from now on-thank you Patricia!

Carol

ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND CAULIFLOWER

6 strips bacon
    4 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 c. chopped onion
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 Tbsp. butter, melted
    1/4 tsp. kosher salt
    1/4 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
    4 c. Brussels sprouts, halved
    4 c. fresh cauliflowerets
    1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
    Additional grated Parmesan cheese, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Reserve 1 Tbsp. drippings; discard the remainder. Chop the cooked bacon into small pieces; set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the garlic, onion, oil, butter, salt, pepper and the reserved bacon drippings. Add Brussels sprouts and cauliflowerets; toss to coat.

Transfer to (1) 18x13x1-inch  OR (2) 15x10x1-inch baking sheets that have been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 15 minutes. If using 1 pan, sprinkle 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese over the vegetables; if using 2 pans, sprinkle EACH pan with 2 Tbsp. cheese. Return to the oven and bake @ 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

Sprinkle the vegetables with bacon and, if desired, additional cheese.  12 servings (1/2 cup each).

False

Every time out grocery store has whole center cut pork loins on sale, we grab one.  It saves us money per pound on pork AND we get to cut it up the way we want it.  Sometimes we cut part of it into pork chops and the rest into roasts.  Lately, we've opted for pork roasts-I love the versatility of them-they can either be roasted in the oven or do very well in the crock pot AND come out nice and moist.  Pork chops can tend to be on the dry side when they're boneless-at least that's what we find.

This recipe is one I had dog-eared last year and promptly forgot about.  When I pulled the cookbook out the other day, the first page I opened to was this one.....once I saw the photo, I knew what was going to be on the dinner table.

I loved the sound of the mixture in the sauce for the roast-it had all the oriental flavors we love in it including one I had never cooked with but had in the refrigerator-Chinese-style mustard (thank you Cyndy-Bob thanks you too :) )...Bob loves the stuff but I usually shy away from it on the rare occasion we get Chinese food.....it's a must for him.  I couldn't wait to give it a try in this glaze.

The roast was very easy to get ready for the trip to the oven-a simple garlic powder, onion powder rub and into the sauna it went.

While the meat roasted, I mixed together the sauce. I allowed it to simmer for about 20 minutes-I didn't measure to see if I had 3/4 cup-I just eyeballed it until it looked thick enough.

The roast was cooked through in the time the recipe stated-I pulled it out of the oven at 145, lightly covered it and allowed it to rest while the Broccoli Mac and Cheese baked off.

I was so pleased to see how moist it was when I sliced it.  The glaze sent this roast over the top.  It was sweet from the hoisin sauce, honey and ketchup, it had a nice undertone of spice from the ginger, garlic powder and five spice powder and a nice little background bite from the mustard.

What a fantastic recipe this is. We enjoyed it for quite a few meals.....and each night it didn't fail to please. We both pronounced this a keeper for sure.

I hope pork loins go on sale again soon-there are so many more recipes I want to try!

Carol

ASIAN BARBECUED PORK LOIN
    (Source: adapted from Best of Country Cooking 2011)

1 (3-4 lb.) boneless whole pork loin roast
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 tsp. black pepper

SAUCE:
    1/4 c. finely chopped onion
    1 Tbsp. butter
    1/2 c. ketchup
    1/3 c. honey
    1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
    1 1/2 tsp. Chinese-style mustard
    1 tsp. lite soy sauce
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    1/4 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a roasting pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil; set aside.

Combine the garlic powder, onion powder and pepper.

Trim excess fat from pork. Sprinkle the roast  on all sides with the garlic powder mixture. Place in the prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, @ 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

Meanwhile, for the sauce, in a small saucepan, sauté the onion in butter until tender. Stir in the ketchup. honey, hoisin sauce, mustard, soy sauce, garlic powder, ginger and five-spice powder. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 20-25 minutes, stirring often.

Brush the sauce over pork. Return to the oven and bake @ 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 145 degrees. Remove from the oven, tent the roast with a piece of aluminum foil and allow the roast to rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing. 8-10 servings.

False

One of Bob's favorite meals is lasagna.  He's always loved it and is one happy guy when he sees it on the dinner table.

I've made all kinds of lasanga and am always on the lookout for new recipes to switch it around.

Janie had done a review on a recipe that Rosie had posted in the Low Carb chat thread a while back and when I took a peek at the recipe, I knew it was something that would fit into our new eating plan.  I asked Bob what he thought about a new twist on lasagna and he was all for giving it a try.

We only go grocery shopping every other week so I try to plan on getting enough fresh vegetables to last us between store visits, using the most perishable items during the first week and then finishing up the rest the week before going shopping again. 

What I LOVE about this recipe is I could adapt the vegetable filling to use up all the odds and ends of our favorite vegetables in the crisper drawer.  I had a few carrots, a small head of fresh broccoli, green pepper, some cremini mushrooms AND zucchini and summer squash that I decided would both go into the dish instead of just zucchini. 

I opted to use our favorite Marinara Sauce recipe rather than use the sauce listed in the original recipe.  It's quick, easy and I'm never disappointed in the end result.  Since I didn't have cottage cheese, but did have a 15 oz. container of part-skim ricotta cheese, and ricotta is what I normally use in my lasagnas anyway, I used that. It was 1 ounce short of the cottage cheese container called for, but it worked out fine.

I didn't have 4 cups of mozzarella cheese here, but did have a package of Provolone cheese that I wanted to use-added to the 2 cups of mozzarella that was in the deli drawer, I ended up with about 3 1/2 cups total of cheese-a very workable amount.

Rather than sauté the broccoli and carrots, I decided to give them a quick steam to pre-cook them before adding them to the vegetable filling. It took no time at all for them to reach the crisp tender stage. I put them in a bowl, then added them to the sautéed pepper, onion and mushroom mixture, stirring them in before adding the marinara sauce.

It's a good thing I sliced and roasted both the zucchini and summer squash.  They were good sized squash, but I actually could have used 1-2 more squash to give a better layer.  I also could have used upped the amount of vegetables in the filling.  A couple more carrots would definitely do it up right as well as another green pepper and more chopped onion.  More mushrooms would be great too...but this was a use-it-up dish so that's what I did.

I can't even begin to describe how good this is.  The aroma when it was baking was enough to make me more hungry than I was when I put it in the oven...then waiting the 30 minutes to cut it?  Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....torture.  It's worth the wait though-it cut beautifully after it rested for the half hour. If there's one thing I hate it's when I cut lasagna too soon and it turns into a puddle.

Do you miss the pasta in this?  Absolutely NOT!  My husband-the man who wants some kind of meat-be it chicken, beef or sausage-in lasagna said he didn't miss having meat in it at all-and that with all the vegetables that are packed into it, there's no missing the pasta either.

A slice of this with a nice tossed salad on the side made for one VERY satisfying dinner.  I did make the full size so we can have leftovers tomorrow night and I'll have some to freeze for another time.

If you're vegetable lovers like we are, and you have one of those "clean out the crisper drawer before grocery shopping" days-do give this recipe a try.  I promise, you won't be sorry-and you WON'T miss the pasta!

Thanks SO much for sharing the link for this one Rosie....off to my favorites it goes.

Carol

NOODLELESS ZUCCHINI LASAGNA
    (Source: adapted from Chow.com-recipe by Lisa Lavery-posted by Rosiewny. Original recipe found HERE)

MARINARA SAUCE
    (Source: adapted from Chef Steve Whiting, culinary arts teacher @ Nashoba Valley Regional Technical High School)

1 Tbsp. olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1 (28 oz.) can Pastene "Kitchen Ready" tomatoes OR 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes or tomato purée (I prefer using the "Kitchen Ready" tomatoes-I like the consistency of the sauce using them)
    2 tsp. granulated sugar, or to taste (feel free to omit the sugar if you like)
    A generous pinch of dried basil, OR fresh basil, chopped
    A generous pinch of dried oregano
    Black pepper to taste
    1/4 c. grated Romano OR Parmesan cheese

FILLING:
    1 (15 oz.) container part skim ricotta cheese
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 c. finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese

VEGETABLE MIXTURE:
    1 1/2 lb. zucchini, ends removed, sliced into 1/4" thick slices
    1 1/4 lb. summer squash, ends removed, sliced into 1/4" thick slices
    1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    1 small head fresh broccoli, cut into florets (about 1 1/2 c.)
    2-3 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick (about 1 1/2 c.)
    1 1/2 c. sliced cremini mushrooms
    1 large green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
    1 large sweet onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
    1 1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

2 c. part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
    10 oz. provolone cheese, shredded

For the sauce, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add the garlic; sauté for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.

Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano, pepper and cheese; cover and simmer over very low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 large baking sheets (about 17x15-inch), with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

For the filling, combine the ricotta, black pepper and Romano cheese in a medium bowl; stir until well combined.  Set aside while preparing the vegetables.

Place the sliced zucchini and summer squash on the prepared baking sheets, overlapping slightly if necessary. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, if desired. Bake @ 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the squash is pliable.  Place the pans of squash on wire racks and let squash sit until cool enough to handle.

Lightly steam the carrots for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Steam the broccoli florets until crisp tender, about 3 minutes.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add the chopped green pepper and onion.  Sauté, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until the vegetables are crisp tender.  Remove from the pan to a medium bowl; add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat until tender, stirring occasionally.  Return the onions and green peppers to the skillet along with the broccoli and carrots.  Sprinkle the vegetables with the flour; stir to coat.  Add enough marinara sauce, about 1 1/2 cups, and stir until the vegetables are well coated.

Place the shredded mozzarella and shredded provolone in a large resealable bag.  Seal the bag and shake to combine; set aside.

Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce over the bottom of the baking dish to coat. 

Spread 1/4 of the vegetable mixture, sprinkling vegetables evenly over the bottom of the baking dish. 

Top the vegetables with 1/4 of the cooked sliced zucchini and summer squash. placing the squash in a single layer. 

With a small spoon, dollop 1/3 of the ricotta mixture onto the zucchini/summer squash; press each dollop with the back of the spoon to flatten.

Evenly sprinkle 1/4 of the mozzarella/provolone cheese mixture over top.
    Make 2 more layers of the vegetable mixture, zucchini/summer squash slices, ricotta filling, and mozzarella/provolone cheese mixture. Make a final layer with the remaining zucchini/summer squash slices, then the vegetable mixture, ending with the mozzarella/provolone cheese mixture. Switching up the order of layering keeps the zucchini from burning under the cheese.

Place the baking dish on a large baking sheet with sides.  Bake, uncovered, @ 375 degrees for 40 minutes until the sauce is bubbling around the edges and the cheese is lightly browned.

Remove from the oven, place the baking dish on a wire rack and let stand for 30 minutes before slicing.  Makes 8-12 servings.

False

We eat a lot of chicken around here so I love finding different recipes to vary the dishes I make with it. 

In keeping with my at least one new recipe a week from a cookbook or cooking magazine I have here, last week I pulled this cookbook off the shelf and thought I'd give it a look through. I'd made a few great recipes in the past from it and noticed  a lot of dog-eared pages.

There was chicken waiting to be cooked in the refrigerator and when I saw this recipe, I knew what was going to be on the dinner table.  It was quick, easy AND it would use up the half basket of cremini mushrooms I needed to find a home for.

I like to add plenty of seasoning to flour when I use it to dredge chicken.  I used my regular trio if garlic powder, onion powder and pepper and added some poultry seasoning to give it a little more flavor. 

I wanted a little bit more flavor to the wine sauce, so decided I'd cook some finely chopped onion and minced garlic along with the mushrooms.  They added a nice flavor with the Marsala.

This went together in no time at all.....I popped a cover on the skillet and let the chicken/mushroom/wine mixture simmer over very low heat while I cooked some whole wheat noodles and steamed some fresh green beans.

The chicken was moist and tender with a wonderful flavor.  I chose not to thicken the pan sauce this time.  I placed a piece of chicken on a small bed of noodles and drizzled the sauce over.

The leftovers reheated well last night-I just added a splash more Marsala and some low sodium chicken stock to the skillet to make a little more sauce-it worked perfectly.

If you like Chicken Marsala, I hope you'll give this recipe a try. It's not the prettiest chicken dish in the world, but it sure does taste delicious. :) 

Carol

EASIER CHICKEN MARSALA
    (Source: Adapted from AllRecipes Easy Everyday Favorites cookbook-recipe submitted by D. Alexander-original recipe found HERE)

1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
    1/2 tsp, onion powder
    1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. ground oregano
    4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
    1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
    1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
    1 1/2 c. sliced cremini OR button mushrooms
    1 c. finely chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3/4 c. Marsala wine
    Chopped fresh parsley, optional

Place flour, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, onion powder, pepper and oregano in a large resealable plastic bag; shake to mix.  Add the chicken pieces, one at a time; seal bag and coat with flour, tapping off the excess.

Heat 1/2 Tbsp. oil and 1/2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Brown the chicken lightly on both sides. Remove the chicken to a platter; keep warm. 

Add the remaining oil and butter to the skillet. Add the mushrooms and onion; sauté over medium heat until the mushrooms are cooked and the onion is translucent, adding the garlic during the last 30 seconds.

Return the chicken to the pan; pour the Marsala over the chicken. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear. 

Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.  4 servings.
    False