ISO - potato for a crowd to make ahead! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO - potato for a crowd to make ahead!

Last post Jul 18, 2008 1:32 PM by hmarshak . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • ISO - potato for a crowd to make ahead!

I hate the search engine in the this site I can never find "stuff" like I could before the bb changed.  I am looking for a potato recipe that will feed 25 to 30 people to serve with ham and turkey.  Something different.  We have used the cheesy potato recipe too much lately.  I really don't want to make gravy and do mashed potato's.  Gail

False
    "I expect to pass through this life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, for I shall not return this way again." William Penn
  • Re: ISO - potato for a crowd to make ahead!

How about doing baked potatos?

sweet potatos?

potato salad?

red potatos w/lemon, butter and parlsey?

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

I did think about baked potato's.  I could do a lot of them in my roaster and not heat up the oven.  Not a bad idea, now that I think about it.

Thank you! 

False
    "I expect to pass through this life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, for I shall not return this way again." William Penn

Bump for more responses!  (Thank you in advance)

False

Golden Mashed Potatoes

Country Woman - try a FREE ISSUE today!

Meet the Cook: When there's no gravy with the meat, this is great to serve in place of regularly mashed potatoes. I make it often to take to picnics and church socials. My husband even made it for his family's reunion one year when I couldn't go! We have a grown son, a 17-year-old son and a 12-year-old daughter. -Cindy Stith, Wickliffe, Kentucky

SERVINGS: 10-12

CATEGORY: Side Dish

METHOD: Baked

TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.

Ingredients:

• 9 large potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
    • 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
    • 8 green onions, thinly sliced
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the potatoes and carrots in boiling salted water until tender; drain. Place in a mixing bowl; mash and set aside.
        In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add to potato mixture. Add sour cream, salt and pepper; mix until blended.
        Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10-12 servings.

False

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Creamy Red Potatoes

Quick Cooking - try a FREE ISSUE today!

In Topeka, Kansas, Sheila Schmitt can please a crowd with this rich and creamy side dish. "It's easy to double, and I always receive compliments when I take it to potlucks," she assures.

SERVINGS: 4-6

METHOD: Slow Cooker

TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 8 hours

Ingredients:

• 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
    • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
    • 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix

Directions:

Place potatoes in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, soup and salad dressing mix until blended. Stir into potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 4-6 servings.

False

Roasted Root Vegetables

Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook
    Try a FREE ISSUE of Taste of Home!

This dish's pretty harvest colors make it any eye-catching addition to the Thanksgiving table. It's a fix-it-and-forget-it favorite of mine. —Cathryn White, Newark, Delaware

SERVINGS: 16-18

METHOD: Baked

TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups pearl onions
    • 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
    • 3 tablespoons olive oil
    • 4-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
    • 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen brussels sprouts, thawed
    • 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced

Directions:

In a Dutch oven or large kettle, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add the pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; peel.
        In a large roasting pan, combine the onions, potatoes, rutabaga, parsnips and carrots. Drizzle with butter and oil. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
        Cover and bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Uncover; stir in brussels sprouts and garlic. Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16-18 servings.

False

Sweet Potato Casserole to feed a crowd

I know it's early to be posting recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but here's a keeper for those of you who have a lot of folks at the groaning board. I can't give you a number that this will feed:(, but we've had as many as 16 people and it was plenty.

3 - 1 lb cans sweet potatoes, drained
    1 - 20 oz can apple pie filling
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
    1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/4 cup molasses
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 beaten eggs)
    1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Beat potatoes and add pie filling. Mix well. Add spices, mix well, then add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Spray a 3 qt casserole or 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray, pour in sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350º 50-60 minutes.

False

At my church they often make the funeral potatoes or hash brown casserole type poatoes. The ones with frozen hash browns, sour cream, soup, cheese etc. There are lots of variations and can be made up ahead of time ready for the oven.

False

Another option would be the make ahead baked mashed potatoes. I make these a lot for potlucks.

make ahead potatoes

10 large potatoes, peel and quarter

1 cup sour cream

1- 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened

6 Tablespoons butter, divided

2 Tablespoons dried minced onion

1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt

paprika

Cook potatoes and mash. Add sour cream, cream cheese, 4 Tablespoons butter, onion and salt; mix well until cream cheese and butter melt. Spread in lightly greased 9"x13" baking dish. Melt remaining butter and drizzle over top. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature then bake, covered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes more.

Serves 12.

False

This is a nice recipe as you can make it ahead (it is better as it sits!) and you do NOT have to worry about keeping it cool as it is supposed to be served warm.  Got it from a german girl I worked with and it is awesome!

Schwabian Potato Salad

12 medium-large potatoes
    1 1/2 cups water
    3 beef buillion cubes
    1 medium red onion
    2 tsp. salt
    6 tblsp. oil
    6 tblsp. vinegar
    1 tsp. pepper
    2 tblsp. parsley or chives
    6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled

Boil unpeeled potatoes in saltwater for 30 minutes or until almost tender.

Make broth with water and buillion cubes. I put in microwave for 4 minutes
    til cubes dissolve.
    Peel potatoes and slice into large bowl. Add diced onions, salt and slowly
    add warm broth to bowl.
    Toss like a salad and add oil, vinegar, pepper and parsley. Toss again and
    add bacon.

Toss before serving.

Serve at room temperature. DO NOT REFRIGERATE!!!

False
    The WeatherPixie

Hello Gail,

I was searching for the very same thing all afternoon. What I came up with is basicly the same as those posted here already. The interseting thing I did find was that someone suggested using buttermilk which would have the same effect as using sour cream except it would have less fat, but same flavor.

I have decided to use it with my mashed red potatoes for this Sat..

Cherie - IN   †

False

Make the baked potatoes in your large crock pot - cook them on high for about 4 hours - then they will "hold".    I rub scrubbed potatoes - dry them - oil them and roll them in salt - then wrap in foil.   They are great and so very convenient - also freeing up your oven for other things.

False
    Tria

Cherie - Thank you for the info on the buttermilk.  Great idea, I think I'm going to do that or the baked potato in my roaster. 

Thanks again.

Gail 

False

I just wanted to say "Thank You" to all that replied to my request.  I got some great ideas and recipes.  I really enjoy this site and the help from some wonderful people.

Gail

False