how do I keep bananas from getting too ripe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

how do I keep bananas from getting too ripe?

Last post Jul 17, 2008 7:43 PM by carol1229 . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • how do I keep bananas from getting too ripe?

I am taking bananas for a trip with a bunch of people.  Anybody have any ideas on how to get them to not ripen too fast, so they will last all weekend?  How should I pack them in the car?

Thanks,

Sue

False
  • Re: how do I keep bananas from getting too ripe?

Bananas always turn so fast! I would buy them as green as I can find them and then try to keep them in a cool place out of the sun.....maybe even in the cooler??? Not sure if this would work or not, but thats the only thing I would know to do! :)

Have fun!

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

I put mine in the fridge when the weather gets hot and it works so I think the cooler idea is spot on.

False
    I don't know if this helps or not, but I read recently to separate the bananas from the bunch. It said separate bananas    don't keep ripening like they will connected to the stem  on the bunch. We don't like green bananas, but it is hard to keep them from ripening too soon. I refrigerate mine. the skins turn dark, but the banana lasts longer. Good luck with yours.
    False

Try one of those 'green' bags.  They're on TV but I bought a box from Bed, Bath & Beyond.  They really work well for bananas.  They're by Debbie Meyer.  They're just green plastic bags, but whatever is in them keeps fruits and veggies fresh longer.

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast

I read in a magazine to place each banana in a white paper bag. It also went on to say you could place them in the refrigerator this way. Since you are going on a trip you can not refrigerate, but the white bag should still help.
    False

thanks for all your great ideas!

Sue

False

I can vouch for the separating the bananas hinr...a guy at work told my husband about it and I thought oh what the heck good will that do?  Figured why not try it?  I did-and by gosh it works like a charm!  I've had bananas on the counter 2 weeks or more-the skin turns pretty dark but the bananas inside are still fine......the last ones I had for 3 weeks...thought uh oh-they won't be any good-opened them BEFORE I started making the banana bread and they were PERFECT-yes, real soft and just right for banana bread or muffins but no rotten spots at all!

False