Urgent! Need Sara Lee Banana Cake Recipe for wedding | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Urgent! Need Sara Lee Banana Cake Recipe for wedding

Last post Aug 06, 2008 5:30 PM by evie11342 . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Urgent! Need Sara Lee Banana Cake Recipe for wedding

I'm doing a wedding cake and side cake for my friend's wedding next weekend.  They have asked for the side cake to ba a sheet cake of Sara Lee's Banana Cake and frosting.   Can anyone help me please??  I would be eternally grateful!!

Deb

False
  • Re: Urgent! Need Sara Lee Banana Cake Recipe for wedding

Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

This recipe, from the Fannie Farmer Baking Book

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    3 eggs, separated
    1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium sized bananas)
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    Cream-Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)

Directions:
    1. Use only bananas that are soft and sweet. This is a moist cake that keeps well for at least four days.
    2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13 x 9 inch pan or 2 9" rounds.
    3. Cream the shortening, then slowly add the sugar, and beat until the mixture is smooth. Beat in the egg yolks, then the mashed banana and buttermilk, and mix well. Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, add to the banana mixture, and beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they are stiff but moist. Plop the beaten whites on top of the batter and begin folding them in. Continue folding until blended.
    4. Spread evenly in the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Let cool in the pan. Frost with Cream-Cheese Frosting.
    5. Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
      4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
      2 cups confectioner's sugar (sifted, if lumpy)
      1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Combine the cream cheese, butter, confectioner's sugar, vanilla and lemon juice in a mixing bowl or the bowl of a food processor. Beat well or process until perfectly smooth and spreadable. You will have enough to fill and frost an 8-inch two-layer cake.

False

This came from a New York Times article talking about Banana Cake with Anne Byrn...aka "The Cake Mix Doctor"....I'm sure you could substitute vanilla extract for the butter extract in the Cream Cheese Frosting.......

BANANA CAKE
    Adapted from ''The Cake Mix Doctor'' by Anne Byrn (Workman, 1999)
    Time: About 1 hour

Solid vegetable shortening
    Flour
    1 package (18 1/4 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 ripe medium-size bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    3 large eggs
    2 teaspoons crème de banane liqueur, optional.

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with shortening, and dust with flour. Shake out excess flour.

2. Place cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add mashed bananas, 1 cup water, oil, eggs and, if desired, liqueur. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed 1 minute. Stop mixer and scrape down side of bowl with rubber spatula. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed until well blended, scraping side again if needed. Pour into prepared pan, and place on center rack of oven.

3. Bake until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 16 servings.

BANANA CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
    Time: 5 minutes

4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
    4 tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
    1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
    3 to 4 drops LorAnn banana creme flavor, or 1/2 teaspoon imitation banana flavor.

1. Place cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Add confectioners' sugar a bit at a time, and blend on low speed until well incorporated, 1 minute. Add flavoring, and blend at medium speed until fluffy, 1 minute more.

2. Use at once to frost top of cake.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups.

False

Here is one I use and is requested often for family birthdays......

Moist Banana Cake

2 ½ cups flour

1 ½ cups sugar

½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

½ cup vegetable oil

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

2 teaspoons vanilla

3 large ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 pan.

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat on low speed with electric mixer about 1 minute to combine. Increase mixer speed to medium and continue beating 2 minutes until batter is smooth.

Pour into pan.

Bake 35-45 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool completely.

When cool, ice with the following:

Frosting

1 lb. confectioner's sugar

¼ cup vegetable shortening (such as Crisco)

¼ cup butter or margarine

1 teaspoon vanilla

Pinch of salt

¼ cup milk

Combine ingredients in mixer bowl. Beat on high 3-5 minutes until creamy.

False

I am pretty sure the frosting on Sara Lee's Banana Cake was Browned Butter Frosting. I loved those cakes.

Browned Butter Frosting

1/4 cup Butter (no substitute)

2 cups confectioners sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 tablespoons milk

In medium sauce pan, heat butter over medium heat until delicate brown; remove from heat. Beat in the confectioners sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth and of spreading consistency.

False