HELP PLEASE!! My lettuce keeps turning brown | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HELP PLEASE!! My lettuce keeps turning brown

Last post Apr 14, 2010 6:57 AM by GreyBirder . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • HELP PLEASE!! My lettuce keeps turning brown

My iceberg head lettuce always turns brown and I figured someone must know the remedy for that. I don't use any silver or stainless steel on it. I've heard that will turn it brown. When I get a head of lettuce, I bang the core end on the counter and then twist the core out. I fill it with water and then turn it over and let it sit in the sink til the water drains out. I then put it in a plastic bag in the crisper of my fridge. We like to have the iceberg on hand for sandwiches. We use the spring mix for our salads. Any help would be appreciated! Oh yes, and my DH uses the iceberg to bait his gopher traps!! LOL And it works, too!

Donna

False
  • RE: HELP PLEASE!! My lettuce keeps turning brown
    There is probably too much water staying in there - and iceberg hates water. It will turn brown in a heartbeat! Break it apart and let it dry or put it in a salad spinner. Then layer it with paper towels and put it in plastic bag - but don't seal the plastic bag. I have even wrapped it in clean dish towels to soak up the moisture and get it crisp.
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    Do you have a salad spinner? You can get one at Wal-Mart for under $3.00. It will dry out the lettuce and keep in the refrigerator much better.

C.J.
    False
    Donna, there are only two of us so it takes forever to use a head of iceberg lettuce (which I love on sandwiches). I do what you do essentially, bang the core out, but lightly rinse the head of lettuce. Then I put it in the best investment I ever made - a tupperware lettuce holder, after laying down a couple of paper towels. The lettuce stays fresh for weeks! I'm sure if you don't have a tupperware lady around that you can get one comparable from Wal-Mart or Target.

Tria, I've always wanted a salad spinner, but never remember to pick none up.
    False
    Ooh, my grammar - never remember to pick "one" up....
    False
    Buy a dome shaped lettuce keeper, remove the core, do not put water in it, set it core side down in the bowl , put the lid on and refrigerate, it will surprise you how long it keeps. When I run out of lettuce, I wash the bowl, put the lid on and store the empty bowl in the frig till I get more lettuce, then I put it in the cold bowl. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

I have the solution! I got it from this BB about a month ago. I only wish I remembered her name!
    "Wrap your iceberg lettuce in a piece of alum. foil & refrigerate it." I believe she said to core it first, but I didn't do that. I only washed off the outside (did not open it up at all), dried it off well, then took a large piece of heavy duty alum foil & wrapped it up tightly & put it on a refrigerator shelf. Each time I use it for either a few leaves or slices, I re-wrapped it tightly again & put it back on the shelf.
    I am STILL using that same head 3 weeks later!
    Tam
    False
  • Re: HELP PLEASE!! My lettuce keeps turning brown
    I remove the core, rinse it with water, drain it in a colander and wrap it in a paper towel. Only use plain white onesI Then I put it back in the bag I purchased it in and it always stays crisps and never browns. The paper towel should remain moist to keep the lettuce crisp.
    False