What to do with frozen pie crusts, besides the obvious. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What to do with frozen pie crusts, besides the obvious.

Last post Aug 21, 2008 10:34 AM by richlinKy . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • What to do with frozen pie crusts, besides the obvious.

I have some frozen rolled pie crust in the freezer I would like to do something with, but not just simple pie. Any ideas.

thanks

barb

False
  • Re: What to do with frozen pie crusts, besides the obvious.

You can make turnovers, pasties, calzone type sandwiches. Bake it and crumble it on top of cream of chicken soup (I call it pot pie soup). Sprinkle it with cinnamon-sugar and bake it, wrap it around hot dogs or sausages. Top it with a thick cream of tuna or chicken mixture, roll it up jelly roll style, slice it and bake it for tuna pinwheels. Those are just a few ideas.

chefly

False

chefly
    You can make turnovers, pasties, calzone type sandwiches. Bake it and crumble it on top of cream of chicken soup (I call it pot pie soup). Sprinkle it with cinnamon-sugar and bake it, wrap it around hot dogs or sausages. Top it with a thick cream of tuna or chicken mixture, roll it up jelly roll style, slice it and bake it for tuna pinwheels. Those are just a few ideas.

chefly.........YOU are a Genius!!  Thanks for the great ideas!!! I especially like the Tuna roll up!!

False

WOW! some great ideas, things i would never have thought. thanks so much. i think i will try either turnovers or calzones.

barb

False

Puff, My mom would make that when we all lived at home.

I love pie crust.

chefly

False

Chefly, I love your ideas!  Here's another.  Cut it into smaller circles, place in greased muffin tins (mini or regular, just cut circles to accomodate), fill with your favorite filling and bake at 350 for about 15-20 mins.  I'll put taco meat and cheese, pizza filling, or try apple pie filling with caramel sauce and chopped peanuts on top.

False

Amy in WI

I saw a simple "recipe" the other day using pie crust that I want to try.

Spread pie crust with raspberry jam and roll up.  Cut into slices and lay on cookie sheet cut side down - makes a pinwheel.  Bake, drizzle with powdered sugar glaze when cooled.

False

Heart Cup Sundaes with Crispy Hearts

The heart cups for the sundaes can be made up to 8 hours in advance. Store them, covered, at room temperature until you're ready to assemble the dessert.

1 box (15 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts

1 teaspoon sugar

1 pint (2 cups) vanilla ice cream

1/2 cup strawberry ice cream topping

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oven to 425°F. Place 4 (6-oz) custard cups, upside down, on cookie sheet; spray cups and sheet with cooking spray.

2. Remove pie crusts from pouches; place flat on cutting board. With sharp knife, cut out 2 (5 1/2-inch) heart shapes from each crust. Drape each pastry heart over inverted custard cup on cookie sheet.

3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool hearts on cups completely, about 30 minutes, before removing from cups.

4. Meanwhile, with 1 1/2-inch or smaller heart-shaped canapé or cookie cutter, cut remaining scraps of dough into 12 small heart shapes; place on ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 3 to 5 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet; cool completely.

5. To serve, place heart cups in shallow dessert plates or bowls. Fill each with 1/2 cup ice cream. Drizzle each with 2 tablespoons strawberry topping. Top each with 3 heart cutouts.

False

Makes great cookies. Cut into shapes, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake until lightly browned.  My mom called this "railroad bread" - don't know why, I guess that's what HER mom called it! Anyway it's delicious.  My kids always thought it was a special treat.

False