Substitute for Hoisin Sauce? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Substitute for Hoisin Sauce?

Last post Sep 25, 2011 2:58 PM by Lenleo . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Substitute for Hoisin Sauce?

I see this condiment listed in many recipes recently.  I have not seen it in my grocery stores, so I looked online, but still don't know what to substitue in recipes.  Any idea?  Also, in the same recipe calls for tamari, another thing (spice??) I am not familiar with.  any subs on that one?  The Lo Mein recipe sounds easy, and I'm sure it's good, but I definetely cannot leave out those ingredients!!  Help please.
    False
  • Re: Substitute for Hoisin Sauce?

char, tamari is a darker, thicker version of soy sauce, a Japanese type condiment, have you looked in the ethnic section of your supermarket? And Hoisin sauce would be located there as well, as you say, using in Asian recipes. I have some in my pantry that I use and I buy it at the commissary (military store) on post. There is are substitue recipes online for making your own Hoisin sauce, but not sure how close they would come to the real thing. Connie

False

Char here is a site that has several Chinese sauce recipes for you to check out, including a jazzed up hoisin sauce and reg. Hoisin sauce, sweet and sour sauce, duck sauce, peanut sauce that many Asia recipes call for and if it is hard to find in your area it might be helpful. Good luck, Connie

http://asiarecipe.com/chisauce.html

False

I found this....

Hoisin Sauce Substitute

Another common Chinese condiment. This one can be used to add flavor to any stir fry as well as in barbecue sauces and other uses.

1 c Soy Sauce Substitute
    1 cl Garlic
    1 Dried Red Pepper,Crumbled
    2 T Low Sodium Catsup
    1 T Water,Boiling
    1 t Dried Orange Peel
    1 t Sesame Oil

In a bowl, combine first 4 ingredients. In a second bowl combine remaining ingredients. Let stand 15 minutes. Pour into soy sauce mixture. blending thoroughly. Pour into jars. Cover and refrigerate.

Yield: 18 Servings

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Here's another,

--------  ------------  --------------------------------
        4       tb           Soy sauce,(dark/light/usual)
        2       tb           Peanut butter/black bean pas
        1       tb           Honey/molasses
        2       ts           White vinegar
          1/8   ts           Garlic powder
        2       ts           Sesame seed oil
       20       dr           Chinese-style hot sauce
          1/8   ts           Pepper

Mix all together in a bowl.

False

Hey Charlene,

I have found it at Superstore. Do you have a Superstore in PG?

In the forgein food isle!

Redawna

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

Thanks everyone, for recipes and all!

Thanks Redawna, been meaning to make a visit to Superstore in PG, now it's on my to-look-for list!

False

Most of these items are usually found in the Asian Food section most grocery stores. I have also found hoisin sauce online at www.asianfoodgrocer.com . That are try finding an Asian Food Store in your area.

False