Klausen Dill Pickles | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Klausen Dill Pickles

Last post Sep 11, 2008 5:14 PM by moly . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Klausen Dill Pickles

Can anyone tell me how they make such good pickles?  Are they canned?  Anyone out there know the secret?

I canned 17 quarts of dill pickles Saturday - slices, whole, spears and my pickles always turn out very good, but I really would like to know what Klausen does.  They are so tasty and crunchy. 

Mine always turn out crunchy as I don't boil them to death, but I sure do like the Klausen that you buy in the refrigerator section.

False
  • Re: Klausen Dill Pickles

I googled this recipe, I have never made them. 

Here is a recipe that I have used. Found it in the files at UCD. Do not alter the ratio of salt to vinegar to water. Another tip.....don't wash the cucumbers...just wipe off the obvious dirt. They need the bacteria for the fermentation process.

Hope this works out for you.

Fermented Dill Pickles – Refrigerated “Clausen” Type

1 Gallon Jar
    Pickling Cucumbers
    12 Fresh Dill Flower heads, or
    2 Tbsp Dried dill weed and
    2 Tbsp. Dried dill seed
    10 to 12 Cloves Garlic
    6 to 8 Peppercorns
    1/4 Cup Vinegar
    1/2 Cup Salt
    1 1/2 Quarts Water

In 1 gallon jar add pickling cucumbers Rinse but do not wash the cucumbers. Add Dill flower heads or dried dill weed and seed, garlic, peppercorns, and vinegar. Dissolve salt in water and add to jar. Fill jar the remaining way with water. Add weight to keep cucumbers under brine.

Fermentation sequence
    1. Clear brine – no cloudiness for 1 to 3 days
    2. Cloudy brine with gas formation, 2-3 days
    3. Cloudy brine – no gas formation, 5 to 6 days

Pickles ready to eat after 10-11 days.
    Refrigerate pickles if you do not want to process them.

To process the pickles
    Fill clean, sterilized quart jars with pickles to within 1/2inch of the top. Wipe, seal, and process in a hot water bath at 170 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove and place on towel in a draft free area. Let jars stand for 12 hours. Label and date. Store in a dark, cool area.

False

I have made these and they are very good. One of the guys at work thinks they are so yummy that he drinks some of the juice-yuck. Anyway, here is the recipe. You can make less and put it in a smaller crock.:

Deli-Style Half-Dill Pickles

1/2 bushel small pickling cucumbers

1/2 bunch dill

3 gallons water

2 cups pickling salt

5 garlic cloves, sliced

3/4 cup mixed pickling spice

Wash cucumbers. Remove blossom ends carefully to remove soil. Place cucumbers in large crocks. Distribute the dill heads evenly. Make a brine of the remaining items and add to the cucumbers. Cover with a heavy plate and weight down with a glass jar filled with water.

Store at moderate room temperature (70 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit). If scum forms, remove it daily. Pickles may be eaten after third day but well done pickles need a 1-week fermentation. After 1 week, pack the pickles into clean jars and refrigerate to halt fermentation. These pickles must be kept in the refrigerator.

False

Thank you both for sharing your recipes~   Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

uh...I'd be careful about not washing your cukes...the family Clostridium has two baddies: tetanus and botulinum. The reason we pressure cook beans is because they aren't acidic enough to inhibit the bacterium and the spores are killed at a higher temp. They are basically bacteria with armored suits on. I would assume (not really sure) that the fermentation is from wild yeast and not bacteria since you start out with salt and vinegar and the CO2 production (like bread). I was curious, so I looked up about sauerkraut, but it's a different process than for the claussen pickles (which I LOVE and am glad you started this thread-THANKS!) Here's some info I found for you: Clostridium botulinum spores cannot hatch in strong acid solutions of pH 4.6 or below. (Some sources claim pH 4.7.) Botulism spores remain dormant under high acid conditions. Fruit is
quite high in acid but also contains a lot of sugar, so the fruit still
tastes sweet. Vinegar is added to vegetables to pickle them. You can can
foods like this in a boiling waterbath. However, the concentration of acid
(ionic strength) is also very important, so you want to use vinegars of a
known strength (5% or 5 grain); add the recommended amount of vinegar, citric
acid, or ascorbic acid described in your recipe; can just-ripe fruits. For
safety's sake, you shouldn't cut down the amount of vinegar in a recipe, take
a cue from fruit and add a little bit of sugar to cut down the extreme acid
taste. Vegetable pickles should be immersed in the vinegar or brine. Here's an interesting article about the sauerkraut-- http://www.jlindquist.net/generalmicro/324sauerkraut.html
    False

I think you are correct Aubie, it is the wild yeast that gets the fermentation going and produces the lactic acid. I always wash my pickles before putting them in the crock and the grape leaves too when I use them.

False

So now I'm interested. Has anyone made the Fermented pickles? Did you have any problems? I'd love to try this.

My daughter buys pickles at a farmers market that are made this way and then processed. they are delicious, but expensive!

Any advice would be welcomed. Barbara 

False

Yes, I have made the recipe I posted above and full sour dills. I'll post that one here. I didn't have any problems.

BRINED DILL PICKLES

Layer in a crock:

Grape leaves

Dill

Mustard seed

Mixed pickling spices

Chili peppers

Garlic cloves

Add all of the cucumbers (3" to 5")

Repeat the layer of spices. garlic, and, peppers ending with grape leaves.

Make sufficient brine to cover pickles:

3/4 c canning salt

1 gallon hot water

1 cup cider vinegar

Add the salt to the hot water to dissolve. Stir in vinegar. Cool and pour over pickles in crock. Make extra brine to fill an oven roasting bag. Seal and place over the pickles so it fits well against the sides of the crock. Let sit in a cool place until the pickles are well flavored and an even color throughout. Skim scum if any develops. 

To can :

Brine:

½ c salt

¾ c cider vinegar

2 ½ quarts water

Drain pickles and rinse. Combine salt, vinegar, and water and bring to a boil. Pack pickles in jars adding one dill head, ½ t pickling spice, and garlic as desires. Cover with brine. Process in a simmering water bath for 10 minutes for quarts.

False
    Moly, how long did you leave them in the brine bath and were they crunchy after you water bathed them? Thanks!
    False

Aubie,

The half sour dills from the first recipe are pretty crunchy but they only ferment three days to a week. After that they have to go into the fridge to stop the fermentation. The second recipe makes ful sours. They are firm but not crunchy. Both are very tasty.  

False