Help, please...fresh spaghetti sauce for canning or freezing | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help, please...fresh spaghetti sauce for canning or freezing

Last post Sep 15, 2008 5:35 AM by my3sons61_WI . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Help, please...fresh spaghetti sauce for canning or freezing

Our nephew called tonight and asked if we had a recipe for sauce made with fresh tomatoes. Their garden has been abundant and they have lots of tomatoes.

My Mom used to make and freeze her own sauce. I can't find her recipe. I know she ran the fresh tomatoes through a mill to separate the skin and and seeds, and then cooked the pulp and juice down with herbs, maybe some paste, sauteed onion and garlic.

Can you help me with a tried and true easy basic recipe to give to my nephew and his wife?

Thank you.

False
  • Re: Help, please...fresh spaghetti sauce for canning or freezing

This site has alot of recipes for canning tomatoes.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can3_tomato.html

False

Big Batch Spaghetti Sauce

1/4 Cup olive oil

3 medium onions, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 28 oz. Cans whole tomatoes

2 28 oz. Cans crushed tomatoes

3 12 oz. cans tomato paste

3 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 Tablespoon dried oregano

4 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons dried basil

1 teaspoon dried black pepper

Heat oil in large pan. Saute onions and garlic until tender. Add rest of ingredients. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours. Stir occasionally. After it has simmered, cool completely and store in freezer bags or containers in increments that you find best for your family. When ready to use, thaw and heat. Favorite ingredients can be added like sliced mushrooms, cooked/drained sausage, hamburger, etc. This sauce is great for any Italian dish. We use it as a sauce for several types of pasta and as a pizza sauce.

Fresh tomatoes may be substituted for large cans. You will still need to include the tomato paste. Peel, core, and chop enough tomatoes to make approximately 12 cups. The rest of the recipe remains the same.

False
    In loving memory of Suzy

I don't can sauce nor do I make it with fresh tomatoes, but, if you go to Recipezarr.com they have over 1300 canning recipes and I saw a couple there while I was going through them. The reviews, if any, are also posted there for your help and information. I've gotten some really good canning recipes there. To save time, I type in "canning recipes" in my search engine and find the jone for recipezaar and just click on the link. Takes ya right to them. HTH's

False

foodguy, this was posted by minestrone today. It's from Aug./Sept. '95 TOH.

deb

Meatless Spaghetti Sauce

4 medium onions, chopped

1-1/4 teaspoons pepper

1/2 cup vegetable oil

12 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes

4 garlic cloves, minced

3 bay leaves

4 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

Hot cooked spaghetti

Directions:

In a Dutch oven, saute onions and pepper in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, salt, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Add tomato paste and brown sugar; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour longer. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti.

Yield: 2 quarts.

Editor's Note: Browned ground beef or Italian sausage can be added to the cooked sauce if desired. The sauce also freezes well.

False

The Meatless Spaghetti Sauces you'll come across here are all excellent. As an Italian cook of many years, let me add a few hints. First, you really don't have to peel the fresh tomatoes as long as you chop them up fine (use a food processor if you have one). When you're starting the sauce in your saucepot, using one with a heavy bottom so it doesn't scorch while simmering, use olive oil and about 1 or 2 Tbs. of saltpork. This may sound strange, but in certain parts of Italy, cooks have used this for flavoring for years and it imparts a wonderful flavor. Just render it out in the olive oil, then add chopped onion, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper. (You don't have to add meat, but if you want to, add it now - Italian sausage, or beef chuck or ground beef, and brown it well). If not adding meat, add the chopped tomatoes now and simmer until thickened. If you want a stronger tomato flavor, add tomato paste and some water or broth, and herbs such as marjoram, basil. I prefer marjoram to oregano as oregano can be too strong, but it's a matter of taste. Cover partially with a lid while simmering on low heat for an hour or longer. If it contains meat, cook it longer to develop the flavor. It tastes better if made the day before and refrigerated.

False

Foodguy, I believe Depo mentioned he was canning spaghetti sauce. He may see this and respond. I've used Mrs. Wages (sp) before but I didn't like it.

False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey

I am 5 timing this recipe and will put in the freezer.

I use it for lasagna, anything that calls for spaghetti sauce. 

My family loves it.

SPAGHETTI SAUCE

Serves:  8

Effort:  average

Comments:  Recipe made up LaDonna . I’ve also made this to where I use no ground beef.  I just double the mushrooms.  My meat loving man loves it like this. 

Ingredients: 

2 lbs. hamburger

1 onion, diced

46 oz. tomato juice

29 oz. tomato sauce

1 (12 oz.) tomato paste

1 c. finely grated carrots

4 tablespoon Italian spice

2 packages mushrooms, fresh & diced

5 cloves garlic, minced

salt & pepper to taste

Instructions: 

Cook hamburger & onion til done. Drain grease.

In big pot add remaining ing. & hamburger.

Simmer 2 - 3 hours on very low heat.

Serve over spaghetti or whatever recipe calls for spaghetti sauce.

For the tomato juice I like to use fresh tomatoes blended up when tomatoes are in season.

For really good sauce, take you cooked hamburger that has been chilled, mushrooms and carrots and run them through the food processor.  Makes for a super sauce

"Laughter is the brush that sweeps away all the cobwebs of the heart"

False

Foodguy, I have been making this recipe for over 20 years now. So good and quite easy if you use a food processor. 

arabella

I freeze this in the small size freezer bags for a taste of summer in the winter. I use it as the base for my red sauce.

Fresh Marinara Sauce
    6 lbs. ripe tomatoes
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 lg. onions, chopped
    3 or 4 carrots, chopped (DH doesn't like carrots, so I leave them out)
    2-3 tbsp. vegetable oil
    2 tbsp. dried basil
    1 tbsp. drired oregano
    salt & pepper to taste

I do all my chopping in the food processor. Drop tomatoes into boiling water for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into a large bowl of ice cubes and water. The peels will slip right off. Core, cut into chunks and put in a collander. I usually do about 6-8 tomatoes at a time. Give them a few squeezes to remove some of the liquid and seeds. Drain a minute. Chop or process.
    In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic in the oil. Add the tomatoes- should be about 11 or 12 cups after chopping. I do this in batches and just keep adding tomatoes to the pot until I have 12 cups. Add the basil and oregano. Simmer briskly until reduced by half, stirring occaisionally. I wait til it starts reducing before adding salt and pepper, since the flavors will concentrate. Let cool completely before freezing. I lay the bags flat and they take up very little space in the freezer.
    Enjoy!
    False

Thought I'd add my recipe.  This is the one I use every year. 

Patti's Spaghetti Sauce

12 pts. tomatoes, peeled and diced

5  12oz. cans tomato paste

4 tsp. minced garlic

¼ C. olive oil

3 TBSP pickling salt

¼ C. brown sugar

2 tsp. black pepper

2 TBSP oregano

2 TBSP italian seasoning

1¼ C. sugar

3 TBSP minced onion

Mix all together.

Cook till thick and desired consistancy.  (usually a couple hours)

Put into sterized jars, seal and hot water bath for 15 min.

Makes appox. 9 pts.

Enjoy!

patti

False

photo autumnthymepatti_163.gif