Blueridge/Lin_65 Favorite Recipes from 1968 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Blueridge/Lin_65 Favorite Recipes from 1968

Last post Apr 27, 2011 9:47 PM by innkitchen . 268 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 18 (269 items) 12345Last >
  • Blueridge/Lin_65 Favorite Recipes from 1968

Blue Ribbon Recipes from 1968

A page for the Cover of the County Fair Cookbook

"The corn is shocked.

Deep-yellow pumpkins bulge with ripeness.

The harvest is in and the silos packed.

Berries, fruits, vegetables--and everything that can be dried or canned--

has been carefully stored away in the cellar.

The air is electric with holiday emotion.

It's time to meet with neighbors and old friends.

It's time to head to the county fair!"

False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

• Re: Blueridge/Lin_65 Favorite and Best Recipes from my 1968 cookbook, "Blue Ribbon Recipes"

Angel-Flaked Biscuits (Best Recipe Ever!)

Blue Ribbon Cookbook 1968

These are wonderful!Used to make 200 per day, 7 days a week, at my home, for a local restaurant.

1 pkg. yeast

5 T. lukewarm water

3/4 cup Crisco

5 cups flour

5 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. soda

2 tsp. salt

3 T. sugar

2 cups buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in water; set aside.Blend Crisco in dry ingredients with pastry cutter.Mix yeast mixture with buttermilk; add to flour mixture to make stiff dough.Place in covered container, refrigerated.Pinch off amount needed; form into biscuits, place on greased baking sheet in cold oven.Turn oven to 450º. Biscuits will rise and bake.Dough may be kept up to 2 weeks.

From Harrisburg, Arkansas, Poinsett County Fair.

lin_65

False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

• Re: Blueridge/Lin_65 Favorite and Best Recipes from my 1968 cookbook, "Blue Ribbon Recipes"

Angel Biscuits

made November 1990

2 packages dry yeast

1 cup lukewarm water

2 T. sugar

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. soda

3/4 cup oil

2 cups buttermilk

8 cups self-rising flour

Dissolve yeast in water; add sugar.Add rest of ingredients.Pinch off amount needed; bake as any biscuit.This will keep in refrigerator 1 week; use as needed.

From Lubbock, Texas, Panhandle South Plains Fair

lin_65

False

Baking Powder-Cheese Biscuits

3 cups flour

3 tsp. baking powder (1 T.)

1/4 tsp. salt

1 T. sugar

1/4 cup shortening

1/2 cup milk

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup Feta cheese or farmer-style cottage cheese (or choice)

1 egg yolk mixed with water to make paint

Mix dry ingredients in bowl.Cut in shortening to consistency of meal.Pour milk and eggs in slowly; add crumbled cheese.Turn onto floured board; knead lightly 5 times.Roll to desired thickness and cut.Paint tops.Bake @425º 20-25 minutes.Makes 16.

From Carmel, CA, Monterey County Fair.

lin_65

False

Carrot Ring or Muffins

1 cup Crisco

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 beaten egg

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1 T. hot water

1-1/2 cups flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking powder

1-1/2 cups grated carrots

Cream shortening and sugar; add egg.Dissolves spices in water; add to mixture.Mix dry ingredients with carrots and mix into mixture.Bake in a greased ring or 12 muffin tins.Bake @350º, ring needs 1 hour.Muffins would be 20-25 minutes depending on doneness of carrots.

From Lewistown, Montana, Fergus County Fair.

lin_65

False

Crusty Corn Bread or Muffins

1 cup flour

1 tsp. salt

4 tsp. baking powder

2 T. sugar

1 cup cornmeal

1 egg, beaten

1 cup milk

1/4 cup shortening, melted

Mix dry ingredients.(Put in bowl and use whisk.)Mix egg, milk, and shortening.Add to dry ingredients just until moistened.Pour into greased 9" square pan.Bake @425º 25 minutes.Serves 9.

From Clay City, Indiana, Clay City 4-H Fair.

lin_65

False

Mazie's Vinegar-Milk Biscuits

4 T. vinegar

3/4 cup sweet milk

1-3/4 cup flour

3/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. soda

2 tsp. baking powder

3 T. oil

Add vinegar to milk; set aside.Sift dry ingredients in bowl.Add oil and milk mixture.Beat hard with a spoon.Turn out on waxed paper sprinkled with flour. Knead, pat out to 1/2" thickness.Cut biscuits and put in well greased pan. Grease tops with oil.Bake at 450º 10 minutes.Reduce heat to 400º and bake about 10 minutes longer.Makes 6-12 biscuits.

From Tulsa, Oklahoma, Tulsa State Fair.

lin_65

False

Batter-Way Rolls

1-1/2 cups warm water

2 pkg. yeast

4 cups flour

1/4 cup sugar

1-1/2 tsp. salt

1/3 cup shortening

1 egg

Dissolve yeast in water.Add 2 cups flour and remaining ingredients.Beat by hand or medium speed of mixer, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add rest of flour by hand; stir about 2 minutes or until flour disappears.Scrape down bowl; cover with damp towel and let double, about 30 minutes.Grease 2 muffin tins.Stir batter 20-25 strokes; spoon into pans 1/2 full.Let rise about 20-30 minutes. Bake @375º 10-15 minutes.Makes 24 muffins.

From Montezuma, Ind., Parke County Fair.

lin_65

False

Butterhorns

1 package yeast

1/4 cup water

1 T. sugar

1 cup milk

3 eggs

1/2 cup sugar

2/3 tsp. salt

1/2 cup melted butter or oil

3 to 3-1/2 cups flour

Scald milk and cool to lukewarm.Dissolve yeast and 1 T. sugar in 1/4 cup water, add to milk, also beat in eggs, sugar, salt, and butter, beating constantly.Add flour but do not make dough too stiff.Cover; let rise until doubled.Turn on floured surface and knead lightly.Divide in 1/2 and roll each to 12" circle. Spread with butter; cut into 16 pie wedges.Roll up from wide end to point.Oil outside lightly; place 2-1/2" apart on greased baking sheet.Let rise and bake @350º 20 minutes.Makes 32.

This dough can be sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon before rolling and can also refrigerate the dough and after preparing, allow to rise 3-4 hours.

From Smithfield, Utah, Cache County Fair.

lin_65

False

Cloverleaf Rolls

1 cup milk

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. salt

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup warm water

2 packages yeast

2 eggs, beaten

5-1/4 cups flour (approx.)

Melted butter

Scald milk; stir in sugar, salt, and butter.Cool to lukewarm.Dissolve yeast in water.Add milk mixture, eggs, and 2 cups flour.Beat until smooth.Stir in enough flour to make soft dough.Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.Let rise, covered, in greased bowl, about 30 minutes, until doubled.Punch down on floured surface and divide in thirds.Roll out each into log to divide into 9 equal pieces.Form each piece into 3 balls.Place each 3 balls into 1 greased cup of muffin tin.Cover; let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.Brush lightly with butter.Bake about 15 minutes @ 400º.Makes 27 rolls.

From Mizpak, Minn., Koochiching County Fair.

lin_65

False

Cracked Wheat Bread

Exceptionally good

1 cup cracked wheat

2 cups boiling water

2 packages yeast

1/2 cup warm water

1/2 cup molasses

1 T. salt

4 T. shortening

2 cups milk

12 cups white flour

Let wheat stand in water 10 minutes.Add yeast to 2nd. water.Let stand 10 minutes.Mix molasses, salt, and shortening.Add wheat mixture and milk.Cool to 110º.Add 6 cups flour and yeast mixture; beat until smooth.Add remaining flour to make firm dough.Put on floured surface; let rest 10 minutes.Knead 10 minutes.Let rise 90 minutes.Form into 4 loaves, let rise 60 minutes.Bake 35 minutes @375º.Makes 4 loaves.

From Tacoma, Washington, Western Washington Fair.

lin_65

False

Crusty Cheese Rolls

2 packages yeast

3/4 cup warm water

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. salt

4 eggs, beaten

4 cups flour

2 T. butter

1/4 cup Parmesan

Soften yeast in water; set aside.Cream butter and sugar; add salt and eggs. Add yeast and flour.Knead 5 minutes; let rise.Divide in half; roll each to 12" circle, 1/4" thick.Spread with butter and sprinkle with cheese.Cut into 8 wedges and roll up from wide end, curve to make crescent.Let rise.Bake @400º 20 minutes.(Sprinkle with more cheese before baking.May be frozen.)Makes 16.

From Topeka, Kansas, Mid-American Fair.

lin_65

False

Crusty French Bread

1 cup warm water

1 package yeast

2 T. sugar

2 T. shortening

1-1/2 tsp. salt

3 cups flour (approx.)

Cornmeal

Dissolve yeast in water.Add remaining ingredients except cornmeal.

(Cornmeal is heavily sprinkled on baking sheet rather than greasing.)

Mix dough until it is well blended.Let rise covered, pushing down 1-2 times.

Shape into loaf.Bake @375º 30 minutes.

From Salmon, Ohio, Lemhi County Fair.

lin_65

False

Egg Bread

2 packages yeast

1/2 cup warm water

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup soft butter

3 eggs, beaten

1-1/2 cups lukewarm milk

6-1/2 to 7 cups flour

1 T. salt

Dissolve yeast in water.Cream sugar and butter.Add eggs, milk and 3 cups flour to a smooth sponge.Let rise 1 hour.Add rest of flour and salt; knead until smooth and elastic.Let double.Make into 2 loaves or dinner rolls.Let double. Bake loaves @375º 45-60 minutes.Bake rolls @350º 20 minutes.Brush tops with butter while warm.

From Dryden, Washington, Chelan County Fair.

lin_65

False

Potato Refrigerator Rolls

1-1/2 cups warm water

1 pkg. yeast

2/3 cup sugar

1-1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup mashed potatoes

2/3 cup shortening

7 to 7-1/2 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in water.Stir in sugar, salt, eggs.Add potatoes and shortening. Blend in flour until smooth and elastic.(Save some for kneading.)Let rise in covered greaded bowl overnight.Punch down as it rises.Remove from refrigerator and knead until smooth and elastic.Work into desired shapes.Let rise about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.Bake @400º 12-15 minutes.Makes 4 dozen.

From Lubbock, Texas, Panhandle South Plains Fair.

lin_65

False