***GREAT Inexpensive HOMEMADE Silver Jewelry Cleaner Recipe*** | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

***GREAT Inexpensive HOMEMADE Silver Jewelry Cleaner Recipe***

Last post Aug 07, 2012 12:25 PM by leeta_bell . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • ***GREAT Inexpensive HOMEMADE Silver Jewelry Cleaner Recipe***

Someone on KC requested a recipe to clean  silver jewelry......I did a search then felt obliged to try what I posted.

Man am I glad I did. Amazing Shine- chains, earrings, bracelets etc..... !0 Minutes ,,,,, no buffing . And.... You likely already have all the ingredients.

Saves Time. money $ and even renewed some pieces I never wore since they looked so Lacklustre.-Alliea

Check it out and see.

http://www.recipezaar.com/180133

Jewelry Cleaner Recipe #180133

This recipe is from wire-sculpture.com. I couldn't believe how dirty my watch and silver jewelry were when I tried it. Yuck! This saves money and is safe for you and the environment. The solution can be very drying to your hands so consider using rubber gloves or even tweezers to handle the jewelry.

10 min | 5 min prep

SERVES 1 , 1 bowl of cleaning solution

1. Heat water in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes.
    2. Cut a piece of aluminum foil that roughly covers the bottom of a small bowl (like a cereal bowl).
    3. Pour hot water into bowl. Place salt, soda, and dishwashing liquid into bowl. Place jewelry on top of foil and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse jewelry in cool water and dry jewelry completely with soft cloth. Discard solution after use and make a new batch next time.
    4. According to wire-sculpture.com, "this works well for gold-filled, brass, german (nickel) silver, and sterling silver. I have even cleaned jewelry with freshwater pearls, shell cameos and mother of pearl with no problem.".

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

• Re: ***GREAT Inexpensive HOMEMADE Silver Jewelry Cleaner Recipe***

This sounds really great.  Some of my silver tarnishes so quickly or like you said looks a little dull, whereas some stays shiney for a long, long time.  Thanks for posting this, I'm going to give it a try!

Heidi

False

Gm AllieaCoffee,  Thanks for sharing~  I don't have too much silver but I do have a silver bangle that I will try it on~ my dil loves silver ~  I'll be sure to pass this one on~ Janie ~ 

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

I had a friend whose Grandmother made her polish all her good silverware by hand. A tedious , boring job.  Linda hated it.

This can be used on a slightly larger scale with silver flatware.........  Just lay your sliverware flat in this mixture for 10 minutes.  No  hand polishing.

Yesterday I used it on  some gold chains also since there are  no harsh chemicals-

Shiny Results There too.Big Smile

False

Bumping for Chris

False

Thank You Alliea,I will sure try this on my jewelry.Have a good day~Betty

False

Alliea - thanks so much for the great info--silver polish is getting more expensive every time I buy it!  Can't wait to try this....another great tip is, after you polish your sterling silver flatwear, if you wrap it in aluminum foil it will stay very nice.  thanks again.

False

SCARLETT IN FL

O.F.G. Rainbow over the River

yeah i followed your directions completely and got black spots on all my jewelry i think maybe the salt didnt dissolve all the way ? it ruined only one of the 3 chains i cleaned i was able to scrub off with soap and water the black off the other 2. 

False

I  and many other people have used this method many times with no problem at all.This is the first time I have heard of anyone having issue with it.

I have however gone to a similar but even simpler "green" method of cleaning all my silver jewelry and silverware.

Check this out and try it on the one you had problems with.

GREEN NATURAL METHOD FOR CLEANING  SILVER JEWELRY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=laZzYkvtDzQ&NR=1

False

I was hesitant to try this as I love my silver jewelry. My custom made bear claw pinky ring is now black,sure hope I can clean it. I'll stick to regular polsh from now on. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Depo!!!

False

photo Cowboys-ws.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I just tried it on a bracelet i haven't worn in five years that was so tarnished it was almost black it worked wonders on it.

False