How do you keep apple slices from turning brown? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you keep apple slices from turning brown?

Last post Oct 25, 2014 1:44 PM by OWENSSHERRYO . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • How do you keep apple slices from turning brown?

I'm taking a caramel dip to a gathering this week.  I will be slicing apples to go with it?  I  know that apples slices that have lemon on them will keep from turning brown.  How much lemon do you use and is it fresh or constituted? 

Caramel Apple Dip  Recipe

1 - 8 oz. block cream cheese, 3/4 cup brown sugar.  Soften cream cheese and mix in 3/4 cup of brown sugar.  Add 1 tspn. vanilla.  Serve with apples, grapes, bananas.  This is good.

False
  • Re: How do you keep apple slices from turning brown?

I was at a meeting last week and the person who brought apples tossed the apples with a little orange juice.  Much preferred over the tart lemon juice.

~~Vicki

False

I found this in a Paula Deen magazine some time ago and it worked like a charm.  I put them in a zip lock bag and poured sprite over the slices.  When I was ready for them several hours later, I just drained them well and blotted with a paper towel.  Looked like they were freshly sliced.  I think any lemon/lime soda or ginger ale will work.

Carolyn

False

Thank you.  Those are great suggestions.

False

The Sprite or 7-Up works better than anything else I've ever tried.

chefly

False

chefly

The Sprite or 7-Up works better than anything else I've ever tried.

chefly

Dog  I have never heard of this & hopefully will remember this tip the next time I need to use it.  Thanks so much for posting this.

False

Soaking the slices in Sprite is the best!  I slice the apple while making breakfast and leave it to soak until it is time to take the kids to school (20 minutes), drain and bag.  On the rare occasion that they do not eat all of their apples they are just barely brown after school.

The caramel dip sounds very good! 

False

I sprinkle Fruit Fresh over mine. 

False

I use Lemon juice or Fruit Fresh.

False

Hi there,

I always sliced my apples and then drizzled lemon juice over all the apple slices. I would say about 1- 2 teaspoons depending upon the amount of apples.

PatsyCooks

False

What a great idea! I will try this great tip!!

False

I have to second that what the others said,about   7 up. When I was over there in 2006-7 I saw it done, when I came back to Australia I was able to try it with a bottle of 7up and it was great "It really works"

Bren

False

Click for Geelong, Victoria Forecast

Okiegirl7

I'm taking a caramel dip to a gathering this week.  I will be slicing apples to go with it?  I  know that apples slices that have lemon on them will keep from turning brown.  How much lemon do you use and is it fresh or constituted? 

Caramel Apple Dip  Recipe

1 - 8 oz. block cream cheese, 3/4 cup brown sugar.  Soften cream cheese and mix in 3/4 cup of brown sugar.  Add 1 tspn. vanilla.  Serve with apples, grapes, bananas.  This is good.

The best method I have found for keeping apples or pears from turning brown for a fruit tray is to slice them into a bowl of salted water for a few minutes.  Doesn't take much - maybe 1/2 tsp to a quart of water, let them sit for about 3 to 5 minutes and then drain.  They will stay fresh for hours and you cannot taste the salt, either.  We have used this method for years.

False

Forgive me but Sprite is nothing but sugar and Chemicals why would you add that to fresh fruit? Or any kind of soda (including so called all natural ginger ale)

False

I soaked mine in apple juice for about 30 min. Worked great and didnt change the flavor. You can use anything with vitamin c in it or you can crush up a vitamin c pill in 1/2 gal of water and soak.

False