How to make crispy homefries? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to make crispy homefries?

Last post Oct 24, 2008 11:52 PM by sugarbug . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • How to make crispy homefries?

I grew up on homemade french fries.  they were good, but a lot of work.  So I've feed my family fries from the freezer section.  Now I got a gadget that slices up my potatoes into french fries!  But homemade french fries are not crisp like the boughten ones.  And we are doing a fish and chips fry this weekend, and DH has an outside deepfrier for the homefries.  Is there anyway I can get my fries to be crispy?

False
  • Re: How to make crispy homefries?

Here is Emeril's method. I've heard that the 2 fryings are the key. If you Google it, there are several suggestions, but this is better than coating them with flour!!! as suggested in a couple of recipes.

For the French Fries:

• 4 large russet or kinnebec potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 by 1/4-inch thick batons
    • 2 quarts peanut oil
    • Salt and pepper

Rinse cut potatoes in a large bowl with lots of cold running water until water becomes clear. Cover with water by 1-inch and cover with ice. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.

In a deep-fryer, heat the oil to 325 degrees F. Be sure not to fill the oil beyond the maximum fill line.

Drain ice water from cut fries and wrap potato pieces in a clean dishcloth or tea towel and thoroughly pat dry. Add fries, a handful at a time, to the hot oil. Fry, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are soft and limp and begin to turn a blond color, about 6 to 8 minutes. Use the basket to carefully remove fries from the oil and set aside to drain on paper towels. Let rest for at least 10 minutes or up to 2 hours.

When ready to serve the French fries, reheat the oil to 350 degrees F. Transfer the blanched potatoes to the hot oil and fry again, stirring frequently, until golden brown and puffed, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to paper lined platter and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.

False

Char, I'd definately go for Emirel's recipe! and be sure to cut them small ( the 1/4" dice) I dont' do much deep frying, but if I ever do FF's again, I'm gonna use this recipe.Big Smile I don't think you could go wrong with it and be sure and use the peanut oil, I'm pretty sure it has the highest smoke point and that grease needs to stay hot.

False

The oil has to be hot and they take a long time to get crisp but they will. It also depends on the type of potato you are using.

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose

Thanks for the recipe, that will be the one I will use.  Unfortunately, where I live, all you can get for peanut oil is about a 250ml bottle of it for outrageous price!  I hear you can buy it in much larger, and much cheaper quantities in the US.  I'll use the same oil that I do for deep frying turkeys, that will work, but wont' give quit as good flavour I'm guessing.

False

Char you can bake them & get them crisp.  If you use a hot pan (preheat it in the oven) and toss your fries with some seasoning and a little cornstarch - they will crisp up.  Cooks Country has a recipe for Oven Roasted potatoes that I follow - I just cut the potatoes into fries instead.  Tomorrow I'll look up the recipe for you.  I need to look in the book, lol - I stopped subscribing to the website.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Homemade Crispy Seasoned French Fries

SUBMITTED BY: Cassie PHOTO BY: Tara

"My family loves French fries and with 4 children the bag fries from the store just weren't enough and became too expensive. So I tried batter - after all it makes chicken, shrimp, and onion rings crispy so why not potatoes. Now even my husband can't get enough of these French fries. They even stay crispy when you reheat in the microwave."

• 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 cup water, or as needed
  • 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
    1. Slice potatoes into French fries, and place into cold water so they won't turn brown while you prepare the oil.
    2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. While the oil is heating, sift the flour, garlic salt, onion salt, (regular) salt, and paprika into a large bowl. Gradually stir in enough water so that the mixture can be drizzled from a spoon.
    3. Dip potato slices into the batter one at a time, and place in the hot oil so they are not touching at first. The fries must be placed into the skillet one at a time, or they will clump together. Fry until golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels.

False

Classic French Fries

4-5 large russet potatoes

peanut oil

salt

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

In a large dutch oven heat oil to 320 degrees.

Peel potatoes and EVENLY cut fries into 1/4" x 1/4" strips of equal length.

Place in a large bowl of cold water as you're slicing.

Drain potatoes thoroughly, removing any excess water.

When oil reaches 320 degrees, submerge the potatoes in the oil.

Working in small batches, fry for 2 to 3 minutes until they are pale and floppy.

Remove from oil, drain, and cool to room temperature.

Increase the temperature of the oil to 375 degrees.

Re-immerse fries and cook until crisp and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Remove and drain on roasting rack.

Season with kosher salt.

Once again this is done is small batches and will need to be kept warm in the oven until all potatoes are fried.

False