Can you freeze chili? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you freeze chili?

Last post Sep 18, 2011 4:46 PM by JimmyCracksCorn . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Can you freeze chili?

Wondering if you can freeze chili successfully, without having mushy chili beans etc?

Thanks

False
  • Re: Can you freeze chili?

Yes you can.....to avoid mushy beans don't try to 'stir' it when its unthawing....you might also need to add water or tomato juice when reheating......sometimes chili thickens when it get colder....

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

SmileTHANKS!  Will give it a try .  Any more thoughts???

False
    Spices are stronger after the freezing, I think.
    False

Yes... I always had good luck with how it tasted... bdett

False

Yes, you can freeze chili - we freeze red chili and white chili, both with good results.  That's one of the joys of making a big pot of chili or soup.  It makes a simple meal later and sure tastes good on a cold winter evening.  I agree that you should not over-stir the chili when it is thawing out, however, or the beans will get mushy.  Same thing if you microwave it to defrost it - let it thaw slowly.   (Here's a freezing suggestion if you are a coffee drinker:  Freeze your chili in large plastic coffee mugs - the ones with a handle.  Works great!)

False

I always make a lot of soups to freeze at the end of the summer to use up all those tomatoes.  Chili freezes very well, and we think it actually tastes better!  It's so nice to have all those ready made soups to thaw and go along with a sandwich when you have a "lazy" cooking day.

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

I agree with the others, chili freezes quite well. So well in fact that I usually make very large pots full with the intention of freezing some.

If I plan on using the leftovers soon, I freeze it in a plastic bowl with a lid and put a piece of plastic wrap on top of the chili before putting the lid on to cut down on freezer burn.

If however I have a lot left to freeze and I want it in several batches I use vacuum seal bags. I'll freeze a few small quart bags to thaw and use for making chili mac or chili dogs and for topping baked potatoes, burritos and omelets with. I freeze the rest in gallon bags so that we can have bowls of it later.

Of course, liquids don't vacuum seal at all so I put what I want in the bags, fold the top over, put a clothespin on it and put it in the freezer overnight until it's frozen solid, then the next day I take it out and vacuum seal it. It keeps a long, long time that way with no freezer burn. Another nice thing about freezing chili in vacuum bags is you don't crush the beans by stirring it up while reheating. You just pop bag in all in a pot of boiling water big enough to hold it and let it thaw and heat all by itself. No stirring needed.

John

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”

Beans in Chili? Blasphemy !!!

You Yanks need to get over this beans in chili thing....there should be only Beef and / or, Venison, Bison, or Elk meet in chili, no pork, hog, or yard birds, and no veggies other than tomatoes!! - Beans are simple nonsense and have no business in real chili, they are a cheap filler for what should be just meat (and crushed tomatoes + spices and flavorings).

You can freeze true chili and never worry about beans or anything else working against you in the thaw. You can do the same with Carne Guisada and Italian meat sauces.

Potatoes in particular, beans and the like, do not do well after thawing and you will suffer disappointment after the anticipation of the thaw. In the case of Italian meat sauce, mushrooms do really well in the thaw. Make more to take advantages of economies of scale, freeze the rest, thaw in room temp water or the refrigerator when you're ready for another helping.

False