A Pretend Contest:You can ONLY submit 1 cookie recipe. Must be fabulous. Which one would it be? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

A Pretend Contest:You can ONLY submit 1 cookie recipe. Must be fabulous. Which one would it be?

Last post Dec 03, 2008 10:30 PM by motherchic . 65 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 5 (66 items) 12345
  • A Pretend Contest:You can ONLY submit 1 cookie recipe. Must be fabulous. Which one would it be?

Here is the game: You submit only one recipe. Your MOST ABSOLUTE favorite. If someone else already submitted the recipe you would have chosen. Tell us which one.
    The recipe I would submit are date nut pinwheel cookies.
     Date-Nut Pinwheels

1 lb. chopped dates
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 c. water
    1 c. chopped walnuts
    Dough:
    1 c. butter or margarine
    2 c. brown sugar
    2 eggs
    4 c. flour
    1 t. baking soda
    1 t. vanilla
    1/2 t. salt

Combine dates, sugar and water in saucepan, cook over medium heat until thick. Stir in nuts; set aside to cool.
    Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, soda and salt; add to creamed mixture. Chill for at least 1 hour. Roll out about 1/2" thick; spread with date mixture to within 1/2" of edges. Roll up, slice about 3/8" thick, place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes at 350º; remove to wire racks to cool.

False
  • Re: A Pretend Contest:You can ONLY submit 1 cookie recipe. Must be fabulous. Which one would it be?
    Praline Butter Cookies
    America's Best Recipes 1989
    {*****}
    1 cup butter softened
    1 cup sugar
    2 egg yolks
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    2 tablespoons praline liqueur
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup pecan halves
    {**********}
    Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed of an
    electric mixer. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition,
    Stir in vanilla and praline liqueur.
    Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to creamed
    mixture, mixing well. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart
    on ungreased cookie sheets. Press a pecan half into center of each
    cookie. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
    Cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen

Note: I have made them with Macadamia nuts and Macadamia Liqueur.
    False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

• Re: A Pretend Contest:You can ONLY submit 1 cookie recipe. Must be fabulous. Which one would it be?

These are my favorite--

WHITE CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES

1 cup butter, at room temperature (2 sticks; use butter only)

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 ½ cups old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked

1 pound white baking chips or chopped white chocolate (2 2/3 cups)

2 1/4 cups dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter with sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and oatmeal. Add to butter mixture and mix well. Stir in white chocolate and dried cranberries.

Place spoonfuls of dough on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 13 minutes, or until very lightly browned.

These cookies have a high ratio of baking chips and cranberries to dough. If you prefer a less sweet cookie, reduce the amount of baking chips.

"My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance!"

False

These are too easy but my absolute favorite!

Melting Moments

1 yellow or white cake mix with pudding

1 sm box instant butterscotch pudding

1 c oil

1 egg

Stir cake mix and pudding mix to remove lumps; stir in oil and egg.  Mix well.  Drop by teaspoonful on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. 

Jo

False

I have made and shared this cookie recipe , time after time.  They never fail me.  Fully loaded and crisp and yes they do contain everything but the kitchen sink ~   Janie ~

Kitchen Sink Cookies ( Martha Stewart) No mixer involved ~ Yes

Ingredients

1 cup unsalted butter( 2 sticks)

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp each baking powder and salt

2 cups old fashioned oats

2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

1 cup sweetened flaked coconut

1 cup raisins

1 cup coarsley chopped walnuts

Oven set at 350.  Line baking sheets with silpat or parchament paper  In a large bowl beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar ( by Hand) until smooth and crteamy about 2 minutes.  Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended.  Stir in the vanilla.

Sift together the next 4 ingredients, flour, baking powder and soda and salt.  Gradually stir into the butter/sugar mixture.  Add  all remaining ingredients.  Stir till well blended.

Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto the parchament paper. ( you can use a 1-oz ince cream scoop or a cookie scoop ) Place about 2" apart and  using the bottom of a glass, press down on  the top of the  cookies  to slightly to flatten them.

Bake for about 16-18 minutes.  Cool for 2 minutes then place on a rack ~

Make about 4 dozen ~

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

This is also one I have posted on this board.  It is DH's favorite cookie and quickly becomes a favorite of everyone who tastes it - on either side of the Atlantic.  "My" recipe is very similar to the one for Kitchen Sink Cookies except mine replaces corn flakes for chocolate chips.  I know - not a fair exchange (cereal for chocolate) but it works very very well in this recipe.

Dunking Platters 

2 c. melted butter

2 c. brown sugar

2 c. white sugar

4 eggs, beaten

2 tsp. vanilla

2 c. rolled oats

2 c. corn flakes

4 c. flour

2 tsp. soda

2 tsp. baking powder

1 ½ c. raisins

1 c. nuts

1 c. coconut

Melt butter, stir in sugars until blended.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients and stir in raisins, nuts and coconut.  Chill the dough for a couple of hours.  Drop by tablespoon on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes, depending on whether you like soft or crunchy cookies. 

This makes a lot  of cookies - probably 6-8 dozen depending on the size you make them.  I use the small ice cream scoop and it makes a nice-sized cookie.  Diana

False
    Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away! Click for Manchester, United Kingdom Forecast

FUDGE PUDDLES

1/2 c. softened butter or margarine
    1/2 c. creamy peanutbutter
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 t. vanilla
    1 1/4 c. flour
    3/4 t. baking soda
    1/2 t. salt
    Fudge filling:
    1 c. milk chocolate chips
    1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
    1 can sweetened condensed milk*
    1 t. vanilla
    Chopped peanuts

In mixing bowl, cream butter, peanut butter and sugars, then add egg and vanilla. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt, then add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Mix well. Chill for 1 hour. Shape into 48 balls, 1 inch each. Place in lightly greased mini-muffin pan and bake in a preheated 325F oven for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from oven and make wells in the center of each by lightly pressing with melon baller. Cool in pans for 5 minutes and then carefully remove to wire racks.
    For filling, melt chips in double broiler (I use microwave), stir in milk and vanilla. mix well. Fill each shell with filling, sprinkle with chops nuts, if desired. Leftover filling can be stored in refrigerator and served over ice cream.

This is the first recipe I ever copied from the BB.

Tammy

False

I created this recipe when I had extra cashews on hand. These cookies became an instant favorite of my husband. (Great for leftover holiday cashews... if you have any.)

Vicki - dutchmom4

================================

CASHEW WHITE CHOCOLATE COOKIES by dutchmom4

2-1/4 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup Imperial margarine, softened
    3/4 cup white sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups white chocolate, coarsely chopped
    2 cups cashews, slightly broken or chopped *

- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    - Stir together, flour and baking soda. Set aside.
    - In large mixing bowl, combine margarine, white sugar, and brown sugar.
    - Add eggs, one at a time - beat until incorporated. Add vanilla.
    - Gradually, mix in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate and cashews.
    - Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined OR ungreased cookie sheets.
    - Bake 6 to 8 minutes, OR until edges are just turning brown. Do not overbake.
    - Cool 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool on rack.

*Cashews - put cashews in a ziplock bag. Close. Use a rolling pin to break cashews into medium to large pieces.

False

Chocolate Caramel Thumbprints

1/2 cup of butter, softened
    2/3 cup of sugar
    1 egg, seperated
    2 tbsp of milk
    1 tsp of vanilla
    1 cup of flour
    1/3 cup of cocoa
    1/4 tsp of salt
    1 cup of finely chopped pecans

Filling

12 - 14 caramels
    3 tbsp of heavy whipping cream
    1/2 cup of chocolate chips
    1 tsp of shortening

In a mixing bouwl, cream butter & sugar. Beat in egg yolk, milk & vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa & salt, add to the creamed mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour ro until easy to handle.

Roll into 1 inch balls. Beat egg white. Dip balls into egg white & coat with nuts. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make 3/8 to 1/2 in. indentation in the center of each ball. Bake at 350*F for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, melt caramels with cream over low heat, stir until smooth. Using about 1/2 tsp of caramel mixture, fill each cookie. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening. Drizzle over cookies.

TOH 2005 Annual Recipes

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

I will add one later after narrowing it down to one, but I didn't want to lose this post.

Thank-you everyone for your contributions!

Yum~

False

This recipe has to be over 65 years old. That's how long it's been in our family. Where it was before that, I don't know! The cookie is similar to the Mexican Wedding Cakes but IMHO is the best of its kind! It is so short it just shatters in your mouth and melts away. Do try it.

Snowy Butter Crescents

1 cup butter, room temperature
    2 cups cake flour
    10 Tbsp. powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 Tbsp. water
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    Additional powdered sugar

Cream butter until consistency of whipped cream. Gradually work in sifted dry ingredients including nuts. Add vanilla and water (using more water if necessary). Shape into crescents and chill thoroughly. (Dough may be easier to handle if it is chilled 15-20 minutes before shaping.) Place crescents on cooky sheets and chill thoroughy. This step prevents the cookies from spreading too much.

Before removing from refrigerator, preheat oven to 400 degrees. It is important for the oven to reach this temperature before putting in the cookies, again to prevent ecessive spreading. Bake cookies until delicately browned at the edges, about 8 to 10 minutes. Watch carefully. While still hot, roll in additional powdered sugar. Makes about 3 to 3-1/2 dozen cookies.

Because the crescents are so very fragile, we lost a number of them to breakage. (Those were OURS!) We began forming the dough into balls which were far less fragile so we didn't have to make as many batches!

False

I got this recipe from a friend a few years ago and just love them. I usually only make them at Chistmas though. They make my tongue tingle!!!

Pepecocker

1 c, Marg

1 1/2 c white sugar

1 tbsp corn syrup

2 eggs

3 tsp cinnamon

3 tsp ginger

3 tsp cloves

2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

3 cups flour

Mix ingredients and roll out on a floured surface. (not too thin) Cut with cookie cutters and sprinkle with coloured sugar. Bake @ 350 for 10-12 minutes.

False

These are fantastic--

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies

1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 egg
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 jar maraschino cherries (about 1 10-ounce jar)
    1 (6-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

In a mixing bowl combine flour and cocoa; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or till softened. Add sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat till well combined. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Gradually beat in the flour mixture.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on un-greased baking sheet. Press down center of each ball with thumb. Drain maraschino cherries, reserving juice. Place a cherry in the center of each cookie. In a small saucepan combine the chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk; heat till chocolate is melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons of the reserved cherry juice.

Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. (Yes, this is done BEFORE baking)! (Frosting may be thinned with additional cherry juice, if necessary.)

Bake in 350 degree oven about 10 minutes or till done. Remove to wire rack; cool.

Makes 48 cookies.

False

Butterscotch Cookies

Quick Cooking January/February 2003

1 Cup butter or margarine, softened

2/3 Cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup sugar

2 eggs

3 cups quick-cooking oats

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup butterscotch chips

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, beat well. Combine the oats, flour, dry pudding mix and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture.

Stir in the butterscotch ships (dough will be stiff).

Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375º for 9 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

YIELD: 3-1/2 dozen.

**These are DH's favorite cookies!

False

Cream Cheese Cookies

1 lb margarine, softened (I use butter)
    8 ozs cream cheese, softened
    2 cups sugar
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup chopped nuts

Cream margarine and cream cheese with sugar until light and fluffy.
    Stir in flour and chopped nuts.
    Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
    Flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
    Bake at 350 degrees F for 7 to 10 minutes, until light brown around the edges.
    For chewier cookies, do not flatten.
    False