Bratzeli Cookies | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Bratzeli Cookies

Last post Dec 19, 2013 8:24 AM by veronaqueen . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Bratzeli Cookies

Bratzeli Cookies
    Presented by Jan Olpin from Dairy Keen, 199 South Main St., Heber

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 egg, beaten
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 tsp. lemon or almond extract
    4 cups all-purpose flour

Instructions:

Cream together butter, sugars, and eggs, add cream.
    Combine dry ingredients and add to butter mixture.
    You may need to add additional flour to make a soft dough that you can form into a ball. Refrigerate overnight.
    Form into balls about the size of walnuts and press in either a Bratzeli, Krumkake, or Pizzelle iron.
    Follow directions of you iron.
    Makes about 60 cookies.
    Serve them plain or with ice cream.
    You could also make them into a cookie bowl by placing over a cup when they are hot.
    When the cookie is cool remove from cup and you have a cookie bowl perfect for ice cream or fresh fruit.
    Note:
    These are the cookies they sell at Midway, Utah - Swiss Days Celebration held the
    Friday and Saturday before Labor Day. They are delicious, paper thin, Swiss cookies.

False
  • Re: Bratzeli Cookies

Makes me wish I had a Pizzelle maker!

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

This is interesting.  My Mother was Swiss, and her recipe is very different than this one.  It uses a dozen eggs, 7 cups of flour, a pound of butter and only white sugar.  The only flavoring is vanilla.  She spelled it BRATZELE.

False

Hmmmmmmmmmm where did I store my pizzelle iron at!!

False

I was looking to try a different recipe than my family's recipe and thought I would give this one a try. The flour needs to be cut way back, I ended up with a dry mess. I added two more eggs and still had way too dense of a dough. If I try this recipe again, I would only use 2 cups of flour to start and add until I got a soft dough.

False

Tigger56
    I would give this one a try. The flour needs to be cut way back, I ended up with a dry mess. I added two more eggs and still had way too dense of a dough. If I try this recipe again, I would only use 2 cups of flour to start and add until I got a soft dough.

Tigger56 thank you for your feed back - I have not tried this recipe - I may have received this recipe from the recipe group through email or it might have been copied from the website.

False

These do remind me a lot of pizzelles.....I went poking and found a couple more recipes for them-they sound delicious. Like pizzelles-there's a bunch of recipes out there for them.  I do have a pizzelle iron and have a bunch of variations of the basic recipe-and still collect more.  I love my pizzelle iron!

Carol

False

I agree very different then the recipe my Swiss family has been making since 1920's.  Our's sounds much more like yours.  I am reading these as I am sipping my tea and eating a fantastic hazelnut version my sister came up with.  These are the best cookie ever!

False