Substitute for Curry Powder??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Substitute for Curry Powder???

Last post Aug 01, 2011 3:10 PM by ChefDidier . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Substitute for Curry Powder???
    Can anyone tell me? TIA
    Susan
    False

• RE: Substitute for Curry Powder???
    Are you out and need to make your own or want to use something different all together?
    False
    None at all. Need to use something else.
    False

Well, I know this probably won't be much help but here is a recipe for a curry sub. I really can't think of anything simple to use in place of curry!!
    2 tbsp. coriander seeds
    1 tbsp. mustard seeds
    1 tbsp. black peppercorns
    1 tbsp. fennel seeds
    1 tbsp. whole cloves
    2 tbsp. cumin seeds
    1 tbsp. cardamom
    1 tbsp. tumeric
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    2 tbsp. ground cayenne
    Roast whole spices in a skillet or 200º oven for 1o minutes. Combine with ground spices and grind together.
    False
    Well, you are correct. I don't have all that! LOL Thanks for your help though, I'll just add some cumin, pepper and a couple of other things. So nice of you to take the time to post that for me. I am making the chicken divan posted by maddymoo.
    Susan
    False

No problem-I don't even have half of that stuff and my spice rack is full!! I hope your chicken is good!!
    False
    We hate curry at our house, too...and I just made the Chicken Brocolli Casserole posted today, and used Garlic Powder in place of the curry and it tasted great!

Curry is not an option for me! I strongly dislike the stuff!!!
    False
    movnspeechGA, the ingredients for the curry powder would depend on what you wish to prepare if it is Fish then use only certain ingredients in the bouquet and if it is meat then there is more ingredient in the powdered spice and usually you do not roast the spice but yet to bring out flavour of the spice you may roast it carefully with out burning the spice..

If you are not using spice on a regular basis ..it would be cheaper and practical if you buy the curry powder instead of buying each ingredient and then making it your self
    False
    bump for linda chicken
    False

Susan -- this is what Curry has in it -- it's a mixture of these spices.

RE: ****Recipe**** ~*~*~Spicy Midnight Soup~*~*~
    Posted by: lindachicken__Oklahoma Posted on: 1/22/2005 8:48:35 AM
    #R5081727

Linda, you said you’ve never cooked with Curry – it has Coriander, Fenugreek, Turmeric, Cumin, Black Pepper, Bay Leaves, Celery Seed, Nutmeg, Cloves, Onion, Red Pepper, and ginger. Hope that helps!

♥LindaChicken
    False

Photobucket

• Re: RE: Substitute for Curry Powder???
    Thanks for the garlic powder idea, I am not a fan of curry at all either.  Rachel Ray has oodles of recipes that sound awesome, but with a lot of curry added.
    False
  • Re: Substitute for Curry Powder???

Curry is basically a mix of every over the top spice in the Idian, Thai, or Islander Kitchen. Depending on what country, and what region, and what county/district or city, or part of city that you are from, curry means a completely differen't taste look and combination of these spices. There is no easy substitute, but that being said, you could take ginger powder, allspice and premixed chili powder and mix to taste, and basically you would have curry powder, South Indian style. The Thai versions tend to be either dramatically sweeter, or hotter, or both.

I hope this helps you!

False