What size turkey? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What size turkey?

Last post Nov 12, 2008 9:16 PM by murphysmom . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • What size turkey?

I will be cooking a turkey with all the fixin's for 10 people on Thanksgiving.  A couple are not huge eaters, but my sons are real big eaters........how large a turkey should I get?  The butcher recommends 1 1/2 lbs person, more if you want leftovers, which would be nice.  I was thinking about 2 lbs a person....and getting a little over that and get 24 lbs.   Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BBC

False
  • Re: What size turkey?

That sounds good but it's great to buy a turkey breast in addition to the whole turkey. There's alot of meat and you definetly have leftovers.

NancySmile

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero

Hello BBC...I think your calculations will be just fine...you have to remember your having all the fixings too so that should be plenty for your crowd...

False
    Photobucket
    Size of Turkey (In Pounds) Serves
    8 to 12 lbs. Up to 4 people
    12 to 16 lbs. 5 to 7 people
    16 to 20 lbs. 8 to 10 people
    20 to 24 lbs. 10 to 15 people

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6287.asp  24 lbs sounds like a Great choice for 10 people.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I'd go with a 24 lb turkey, nothing like leftovers you know, or that cold turkey sandwich and a glass of milk for a snack. And if you have the big eaters, better to have to much than not enough. Connie

False

Thanks to everyone for thier reply.  I am always afraid of not having enough!  I'd rather have a ton of leftovers and know that there was plenty....besides, after all that cooking I can take a day or two off!

24lbs it is!

Thanks!

BBC

False