REC: Tastefully Simple Clone Recipe for Cinnamon Muffin Melts | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

REC: Tastefully Simple Clone Recipe for Cinnamon Muffin Melts

Last post Sep 21, 2009 7:18 AM by Alliea . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • REC: Tastefully Simple Clone Recipe for Cinnamon Muffin Melts
    • Stick out tongue [:P]

I have been looking for some clone recipes for my favorite Tastefully Simple items and did find a few.  Recently I came across this one, but DID NOT have a chance to try it yet.  So I thought I would post it here and if anyone else tries it, please post a review so I know whether it's worth my time.  Thank you!  Enjoy!

***********************************************************************************************************

http://www.chellisms.com/chellisms/2008/08/recipe-wednes-2.html

Recipe Wednesday: Cinnamon Muffin Melt Knock Off's

When Ashley came out in April she made the mistake of introducing my mom and I to Tastefully Simple. That was really an evil thing to do. Online food products? How evil-ly delicious.

I secretly like to call them Tastefully Expensive...

So, my pocketbook and I have this love hate relationship with Tastefully Simple. I love some of their products but my pocketbook weeps when it is time to checkout. I figure if I can find a way to re-create a few of their items at home then I can stock up on the ones that I can't and absolutely love. Last time my mom and I placed an order, my mom ordered the Cinnamon Muffin Melts. They were super yummy, but at $5.99 for a mix that makes a dozen muffins that is a bit steep for me.

Ashley googled around a bit and came across this recipe, we decided to try it out and see how it compared.

Dsc03414

Cinnamon Muffin Melt Knock Offs

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour    Dsc03411

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 large egg

3/4 milk

1/3 cup unsalted butter

For Rolling:

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1  teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan. 

2. Mix dry ingredients together, set aside. Beat egg and milk together in small bowl, set aside. Beat softened butter until light and fluffy. 

3. Alternate adding in egg and flour mixtures, mixing after each addition.

4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each cup 2/3 full.

5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes, turn pan over onto a wire rack removing all muffins then turning them over with tops up. Let them cool enough so they may be handled. 

6. Melt the remaining butter. Mix together sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.

7. Once muffins have cooled dip all sides in melted butter then roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on wire rack to finish cooling.

8. May be served warm or cool. Store in an airtight container.

Dsc03418

Note: I noticed something along the way with this recipe, in the original recipe it says the tops should turn golden brown when done. After 22 minutes at 350 degrees mine were as pale on top as when they went in but the sides were browning and the toothpicks were clean. Could it have been my oven? Quite possibly, yes. My suggestion would be not to trust the color of the muffins as a sign of doneness, the color in the pics is simply the cinnamon sugar mixture.

How did these stack up against the real TS Cinnamon Muffin Melts? Let's just say that I will not be buying the boxed mix anymore, this recipe is wonderful. I would rather spend my Tim's hard earned money on the Sweet Pepper Jalapeno Jam instead...

False
     My heart is broken... One of Heaven's Newest Blessings  IN LOVING MEMORY OF PHOEBE ("HeeBee") 1-16-2010  IN LOVING MEMORY OF TOBY ("Handsome Man") 4-12-2008
  • Re: REC: Tastefully Simple Clone Recipe for Cinnamon Muffin Melts

I have made muffins similar to this called French Breakfast Muffins.  I'm not sure if the batter is the same, but they get dipped in butter and rolled in the cinnamon/sugar mixture.  They are good

False

I have made a similar Donut style muffin for many years.

They are delicious - especially when warm~Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Thank you for posting this recipe!  Charter

False

Wow, you shuld have seen the lightning speed with which I hit the Add to Favorites button. lol I can't wait to try these.

False

Thanks Karen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big Smile

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

I love Tastefully Simple. I think I know what's for breakfast tomorrow!

False
    Thanksgiving is good but thanks-living is better. Matthew Henry 1662-1714

I am so glad I am not the only one who LOVES these things.

Sitnsew, do you have the recipe handy?  I'd be interested in comparing it to this one when I do get a chance to make them.  Thank you.

Nix-Mom, did you get a chance to make them?  What do you think?  I'm anxious for your review.

Have a great day!

Karen

False
     My heart is broken... One of Heaven's Newest Blessings  IN LOVING MEMORY OF PHOEBE ("HeeBee") 1-16-2010  IN LOVING MEMORY OF TOBY ("Handsome Man") 4-12-2008

But to see if Nix-Mom made them and can give a review!

Have a great day!

False

bumping this wonderful recipe

False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/

This is my knock off recipe of their Beer Bread, I did a blind taste test of theirs against mine and everyone liked mine better

Beer Bread

List of Ingredients

3 cups self rising flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 (12 oz.) beer can be non alcoholic or light beer
    1/4 cup melted butter

Recipe

Stir together first 3 ingredients, pour into a lightly greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Pour butter of top of dough. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or till golden brown.

You can add chives, bacon, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, onion powder or anything to make it a different taste .................................

homecookingBlnk2.jpg picture by wargofive

False

sitnsew
    I have made muffins similar to this called French Breakfast Muffins. 

I have made these many times as well. Great served warm for guests.Smile

~Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009