Do you cover your turkey with foil in the end of cooking? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you cover your turkey with foil in the end of cooking?

Last post Nov 16, 2008 6:15 PM by royalpita1 . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Do you cover your turkey with foil in the end of cooking?

the past couple of years Ive been making my turkey in a bag.     This year I want to do it without one.   I went to a site to refresh my memory on how to cook a turkey and they say to put it in the oven until golden brown and then to cover it with foil to prevent over cooking.      I  think I use to put foil on from the start and then take it off to brown.    How do you do yours?

False
  • Re: Do you cover your turkey with foil in the end of cooking?

Leesa - I've always done it the way you do, foil first - think that maybe it helps to keep it from drying out.

Paulette

False

I have a big roaster and cook with the lid on and then take it off to brown.  Keeps the big bird moist.

False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey

Glad I came here to double check,   thanks.

False

I cook in a roaster until brown,,,,THEN I do put the foil on so it doesn't over brown....Done this for 30 plus years....

False

Butterball site

When the turkey is about 2/3 done, loosely cover the breast and top of drumsticks with a piece of lightweight foil to prevent overcooking

False

I always do foil first and then take it iff to brown.

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

In the 50 years I've been cooking turkey's , I make a tent out of foil , attach it to the sides of the roasting pan, about an hour before its done I remove the foil and let it brown, always a moist turkey. Judy

False

IN GOD WE TRUST

I do mine the same as Zakons.

No foil  and no cover at first......then near the end of the baking time,,,,,,, I place the foil where needed for perfect even browningYes

How to Roast-Butterball website

It’s easy with the Butterball® Open-Pan Roasting Method.

1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Remove turkey from bag. Drain juices and pat dry with clean paper towels.
    2. Place turkey lifter across full length of flat rack in a shallow roasting pan, 2 to 2 1/2 inches deep.
    3. Tuck wings back to hold the neck skin in place. Place thawed or fresh turkey, breast up, on the turkey lifter. Rest loops on turkey, not over edge of pan during roasting.
    4. Brush the skin with vegetable oil. Further basting is unnecessary.
    5. Insert oven-safe meat thermometer deep into the lower part of the thigh, not touching the bone. (Thigh should reach 180°F. If the turkey is stuffed, move thermometer to center of stuffing. Stuffing should be 165°F when done.)
    6. Place your turkey in the oven.
    7. When the turkey is about 2/3 done, loosely cover the breast and top of drumsticks with a piece of foil to prevent overcooking.
    8. Start checking for doneness about 30 minutes before end of recommended cooking times.
    9. Turkey is done when the meat thermometer reaches the following temperatures:
      • 180°F deep in the thigh. Juices should be clear when thigh is pierced deeply.
      • 165°F in the center of the stuffing, if turkey is stuffed.
    10. Lift turkey onto platter and discard turkey lifter.
    11. Let your turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Foil first then off to brown, always have a very moist turkey...except for the year my Grandmother decided to check how done it was and took a fork and kept poking it...so the juices would run and she would know it was done. We still think she did it on purpose so that my MOm would have a dry turkey. Women can be vindictave
    False

Denise