freezing rum balls | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

freezing rum balls

Last post Nov 19, 2008 2:31 AM by _FOOTSIE . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • freezing rum balls

Would like to make my rum balls now and freeze them until until I make my Christmas baskets.  Can you do this or will they get dry and lose flavor?  Thanks for the input.  

Chief 

False
  • Re: freezing rum balls

NO! Don't freeze them! 

There's no need to freeze them. They'll keep for a year in an airtight container (cousin found that out by accident lol) I always make my rum balls at Halloween because the longer they sit undisturbed, the better they are, and by making them at Halloween, they're great by Thanksgiving and out of this world by Christmas.

False

I would love the recipe for your rum balls. I have never had or even heard of them. Thank you

Karla

False
    Karla

Thanks Footsie - I've wondered about that too. I'll get my recipe out and start on them soon.

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields

RUM BALLS

1- 12oz. box vanilla wafers, crushed 

1 C. finely ground walnuts

2 T. cocoa (heaping)

1 C. confectioners' sugar

1/4 C. light Karo syrup

1/2 C. rum (I start with 1/3 cup and then add the rest as needed. If they get too sticky, just let them air dry a couple hours before storing)

Granulated sugar

Mix all ingredients well. Roll into 1" balls and roll in granulated sugar. Store in airtight container.

These taste better the longer they age. I make mine around Halloween & forget them until the holidays.

Footsie Note: You can use bourbon or whiskey in place of the rum.

I've also made cream de menthe balls and rolled them in powdered sugar instead of granulated. You can make the cream de menthe balls with or without the cocoa.

False

I use the same recipe as Footsie except I use pecans instead of walnuts. If I am making them for the holidays I roll in the red and green sugars or in the Christmas sprinkles.  If you are fond of coconut, try using Malibu rum.  

Footsie, I will be starting mine this weekend.  I am thinking of making some using Celtic Crossing, it is a honey based Irish whiskey  liqueur.  It is very thick and I thought I might have to adjust the amount of syrup.  What do you think?

Thanks for all the input.

Chief

False

I would mix everything together except the karo syrup and rum, then take a cup or two of the mixture and add just enough of your liquer to hold it together. Taste it. If it needs the corn syrup (which I doubt) then you can add a little at a time. If you like the results, mix it in with the rest of the nut/crumb mixture.

False

DO you crush the cookies into powder or chucks? Because chucnks don't sound good.

False

finely ground crumbs

False