Jenny-O turkeys on sale - anyone know anything about this brand? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Jenny-O turkeys on sale - anyone know anything about this brand?

Last post Nov 24, 2008 12:31 PM by harguthm . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Jenny-O turkeys on sale - anyone know anything about this brand?

They are on sale for $.69 per pound for the frozen Jenny O brand. This is a great price, but only if the turkey is good. I've never tried any but the Butterball, but will switch if you ladies have good reviews. TIA

Lynne

False
  • Re: Jenny-O turkeys on sale - anyone know anything about this brand?

I saw those too, Lynne and wondered about them.   I can't use any of the "enhanced" turkeys - like Butterball - plus many others are "enhanced" also.   I brine my turkey and they don't recommend that type.   I suspect the "Jenny-0" is "enhanced".  

I generally buy the fresh Honeysuckle Whites but haven't seen those at all this year.   I saw and add for the frozen Honeysuckle White so I'll probably just get one of those.  I generally buy the fresh but according to "Cooks Illustrated" - they say the frozen works just as well as the fresh when you brine.

Maybe someone will give us a hint.

False
    Tria

I have used Jennie-O before and had good results with it.  I saw an article that mentioned that Jennie-O had an "oven-ready" line this year.  They are already cleaned, gizzards removed and bagged, so all you have to do is take out of the freezer and put in the oven.  Might be worth checking out.  If it says "oven-ready" then you know what it means.

Amy Marie

False

Always great results with Jenny-O here as well.

Excellent product, highly recommend.

False

I was hoping for good reviews too.  I've got 2 in the freezer.  Last week, local grocer had them for .48 # with a $25. purchase.  I went in twice to get one.  I got each one for around $7.  Otherwise would've been like $16.  Couldn't resist that deal.  Also had .99 sugar with $25 purchase, got 2 of those too.  I'll be making one of the turkeys for Thanksgiving and the other will taste good sometime this winter.

False

photo easterbabiespatti_141.gif

They are a high quality turkey.  I live very near where this company started in MN from the ground up.  Recently hormel bought the company.

Marlene

False

I've never used them but the TV commercial cracks me up. The woman is trying to get the giant turkey out of the sink and drops it on the floor and then it flies out the window and knocks her husband in the head.  She reminded me of myself. I've dropped them on occasion. LOL The ad is for the oven ready, I think.

False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey

I have used Jenny O brand for years. Had excellent results. Walmart had them two weeks ago for .84. I have two in my freezer. I also fixed one at the first of the month as we usually go away for Thanksgiving dinner. I don't put stuffing  in mine but do put butter, herbs, and spices in the cavity and butter the outside.

False

We like Jenny-O and Butterball equally.  Very moist and tasty.

False
    we like these and a store near us started carrying another brand--I think it was norwalk or something like that. Anyway, either the N-brand or the jenni-o have this pop-up valve. I never go by that--go by your times and check it. By the time the valve goes off, it's overdone. Sometimes that valve thing goes off 20 min after it's been taken out of the oven. I won't let a piece of plastic tell me what to do!
    False

I also bought this brand this year. I liked it before so bought another one when it went on sale last week.  

Now on the flip side once I bought one they had in a can that was a process turkey...gross!!!

But the fresh/frozen birds are really good!!

False

Thanks for sharing your good results with Jenny-O turkeys. I think I will buy 2 - one for Thanksgiving and one for the week after Christmas when the whole gang will be together.

False

Sounds like it would be quick and easy - and you sure can't beat the price.   I've had such good luck brining for a number of years - but - I still just might try these after these reviews.   I've never had a problem with the pop-up timers, though.   They've always been pretty accurate for me as my turkeys are always moist - but very tender.   A couple of the store brands (that are not enhanced) have the timers and they have worked fine.   Turkeys ('specially the fresh) are a bit more expensive this year - so what else is new!

False
    Tria

I am a Bzzz agent also and did a campaign on the ready to cook Jenni-O turkeys last year. They sent me one to try for free and it was very moist and tender. I loved that it could be cooked either from frozen or thawed. I also bought just a turkey breast in the ready to cook line this summer and it was also delicious.

chefly

False

Not a thing wrong with the Jynny-O turkeys. I've used them a lot as they usually had good prices.As far as I'm concerned the Butterballs are not worth the price they charge for them. Kinda like Starbucks....just a lot of hype, a lot of commercials but no better than the competition. 

Aubie2....were you thinking of Norbest turkeys? That's what I bought this year at WinCo for $.26 a lb. We won't be home to cook it so in the freezer it went.

Elizabeth

False