ISO - CRUSTY COB - bread recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO - CRUSTY COB - bread recipe

Last post Mar 31, 2013 7:08 PM by Alliea . 29 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 12
  • ISO - CRUSTY COB - bread recipe
    • Idea [I]

I have heard about this yeast bread, and want to give it a try.  Would someone please share the recipe?

~~Vicki

False

• Re: ISO - CRUSTY COB - bread recipe

I found this Vicki-I am wondering if the term refers to  Bread shape like the kind of Loaf one puts Spinach Dip into?~Alliea

Cob

Cob is a term that refers to a large, rounded, plain loaf that can be made with various types of flour. Cob is a term that usually describes rounded loaves in Britain, while boule is a term that describes similar bread shapes in France.

Boule Bread

A term that refers more to the shape of the bread than any particular type. The French word boule means ball or round, so “boule” may be used to describe a variety of breads that all have the boule shape in common. A typical French boule is a hearty, country bread with a chewy crust, an open crumb, and a moderately soft interior and is baked in many different sizes. It is most often prepared with white bread flour made into a similar type of dough used for a French baguette, however a variety of flours and other ingredients can be used.
    Boule Bread

I bet a dip in the center of a Homemade loaf would be Delicious.~Alliea

(from the recipetips site)

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Recipe: Simple Crusty Bread -

NYTIMES SITE-Published: November 21, 2007Adapted from “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day,” by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François (Thomas Dunne Books, 2007)

Time: About 45 minutes plus about 3 hours’ resting and rising

1 1/2 tablespoons yeast

1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt

6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, more for dusting dough

Cornmeal.

1. In a large bowl or plastic container, mix yeast and salt into 3 cups lukewarm water (about 100 degrees). Stir in flour, mixing until there are no dry patches. Dough will be quite loose. Cover, but not with an airtight lid. Let dough rise at room temperature 2 hours (or up to 5 hours).

2. Bake at this point or refrigerate, covered, for as long as two weeks. When ready to bake, sprinkle a little flour on dough and cut off a grapefruit-size piece with serrated knife. Turn dough in hands to lightly stretch surface, creating a rounded top and a lumpy bottom. Put dough on pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal; let rest 40 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it.

3. Place broiler pan on bottom of oven. Place baking stone on middle rack and turn oven to 450 degrees; heat stone at that temperature for 20 minutes.

4. Dust dough with flour, slash top with serrated or very sharp knife three times. Slide onto stone. Pour one cup hot water into broiler pan and shut oven quickly to trap steam. Bake until well browned, about 30 minutes. Cool completely.

Yield: 4 loaves.

Variation: If not using stone, stretch rounded dough into oval and place in a greased, nonstick loaf pan. Let rest 40 minutes if fresh, an extra hour if refrigerated. Heat oven to 450 degrees for 5 minutes. Place pan on middle rack.

False

Thank you, Alliea.  Someone needed advice on this bread, and I needed to make it in order to help.

~~Vicki

False

Alliea - Its on the first rise.  Smile

~~Vicki

False

CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO.  Wish I had seen it before I baked the first loaf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMxJgIpe38Q

False

What a Great video Vicki- Very informative and lots of uses for the bread too! (Pizza Dough etcSmile)

Alliea

False

This is a Must try for next week Vicki

.I am thinking of doing one with a Spinach Dip over the Holidays. Usually most  families just get a store bought loaf~ This sounds like a good treat to make with Homemade and chunks of dipping bread on a Platter~Alliea

False

for belled

False

Bump per Pm request.

~Alliea

False

Thanks Vickie,

The video really explains how easy it is to make the dough,going to try & get the book,

Wattle Paradise

False

Wattle Paradise

Thenks for the recipe and video Alleia nad Vickie. Might try this one day soon. Got a wicked cold right now and feel like i've been run over by a Mac truck LOL.

False

THE AMERICAN'S CREED I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a Republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect Union one and inseparable, established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots scrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to suport its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect it's flag, and to defend it against all enemies. Proud member of The Daughters of The American Revolution

DAR lady
    Got a wicked cold

I hope you feel better soon.

~A

False

Very Cool Recipe.

Easiest Bread I ever made!!

I was leaving the house yesterday around 3 PM . I threw this together in a plastic popcorn container I had bought at the Dollar store . This took  less than 5 minutes.

When I returned about 3 hours later I put the container in the fridge  overnight covered with a metal pan lid and forgot about it.

This Morning-I pulled off a Grapefruit sized piece of dough and pinched it into a round ball.  I Slashed the top  a couple times with a knife and let this sit on a pan dusted with cornmeal for about 40-50 minutes.

I heated my Pizza stone in a 450 degree oven and popped the dough  onto the stone. In the oven with it was a pan of hot water for steam.

20 minutes later:

a great looking small puffed loaf reminiscent of a sourdough loaf one would receive at a nice restaurant with their meal. I brushed the top of mine with Melted Butter and we enjoyed warm slices of fresh bread for Lunch today.

The video ia a quick study asset. Definitely makes this super easy to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMxJgIpe38Q

Definitely is a Keeper recipe.

Most  similar recipes from the authors  are available on line so I will not personally purchase the book.

For those that would like it though , it is relatively widely availble.

False

Thanks Alleia, first time I've been sick in 4 years. I actually think it's allergies from sleeping with my doors open night before last cause i'm really careful about taking care of myself. It just got so hot in the house from baking the scones, and it was so nice and cool outside, I turned my fan on and opened the doors. Won't pull that trick again LOLIck!

False

THE AMERICAN'S CREED I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a Republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect Union one and inseparable, established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots scrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to suport its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect it's flag, and to defend it against all enemies. Proud member of The Daughters of The American Revolution