A Question - can I peel and cut up sweet potatoes and refrigerate in a bowl of cold water overnight? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

A Question - can I peel and cut up sweet potatoes and refrigerate in a bowl of cold water overnight?

Last post Nov 22, 2008 8:43 PM by Margielou_wa . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • A Question - can I peel and cut up sweet potatoes and refrigerate in a bowl of cold water overnight?

I often peel white potatoes, cut into pieces, and refrigerate in a bowl of cold water overnight to keep them from turning brown and to save time in dinner preparation the next day.  Can I do the same with sweet potatoes/yams?  Thanks in advance for your help with this one.

False
  • Re: A Question - can I peel and cut up sweet potatoes and refrigerate in a bowl of cold water overnight?

I don't know but I will tell you what I do. I put my sweet potatoes in the oven when I put the turkey in and let them bake until done, then I peel them when they cool down and proceed with my casserole. I think they are easier to peel and cuts down on some time.

Salbo

False
  • Re: A Question - can I peel and cut up sweet potatoes and refrigerate in a bowl of cold water overnight?

Yes you can do that, or at least I've done it several times with great success.

Sometimes when I'm cutting them up to fry them, I'll cut up a bunch when I know I'm going to work late two days later,  then DH just drains them, pats them dry and fries them.  You can't even tell the difference.

False
    Thanks for your replies, Salbo & StayHomeMom!  I am using a recipe that I found yesterday on the Betty Crocker site.  You peel them, cut into chunks, and cook them in crockpot with various other ingredients (including applesauce) on low.  It got good reviews.  I'm desperate for a way to do them while the turkey occupies the oven. 
    False
    Here is a great recipe you can do on the stovetop. I make these every holiday and have shared the recipe many times here on the board. They have gotten good reviews. Subject: Sticky Gooey Candied Yams Posted by: Margielou_WA Replies: 13 Posted on: 9/26/2003 10:43:48 AM #T236074 This is an old fashioned candied yam recipe I got from a Southern friend years ago. My family really enjoys yams done this way. 6 medium sized yams 1/3 cup dark Karo syrup 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed 1/4 cup water 1/4 pound butter Cook the unpeeled yams in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool until you can peel them. Cut in half lengthwise. Melt butter, sugar, Karo syrup, and water together in a large skillet. Lay yams cut side down in this syrup and cook on low heat, turning occasionally and basting occasionally so yams candy on both sides. Keep heat low so they do not scorch. Cook slowly until yams are tender and syrup flavor has permeated the yams. Takes about 30-45 minutes, depending on how much you precooked your yams. I like to use this recipe since the yams are cooked on top of the stove so the oven can be used for other things for holiday dinners.
    False

Hopefully this version will print correctly.

This is an old fashioned candied yam recipe I got from a Southern friend years ago. My family really enjoys yams done this way.

Candied Yams

6 medium sized yams
    1/3 cup dark Karo syrup
    1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 pound butter

Cook the unpeeled yams in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool until you can peel them. Cut in half lengthwise. Melt butter, sugar, Karo syrup, and water together in a large skillet. Lay yams cut side down in this syrup and cook on low heat, turning occasionally and basting occasionally so yams candy on both sides. Keep heat low so they do not scorch. Cook slowly until yams are tender and syrup flavor has permeated the yams. Takes about 30-45 minutes, depending on how much you precooked your yams.

I like to use this recipe since the yams are cooked on top of the stove so the oven can be used for other things for holiday dinners
    False