CrockPot Hot Dogs | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

CrockPot Hot Dogs

Last post Aug 14, 2010 9:24 AM by c3clark . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • CrockPot Hot Dogs

A while ago, someone (I'm sorry, don't remember who) wrote that hot dogs done in a slow cooker taste like the ones you buy at events.  I finally tried them today and we really liked them.  I put 8 Ball Park hot dogs in a small slow cooker on high for 3 hours (they were fine after 2 hours, but I left them in because they were getting so nice and brown) and they plumped up and were so juicy.  I know it seems silly to cook them for 3 hours when you could boil them in a couple of minutes on the stove, but they were so good this way.  From now on until it's grill time again, I'm going to cook them this way.

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

• Re: CrockPot Hot Dogs

I think that was me, Carole, as I did post about them.   I used to make them all the times when I hosted parties for my teen-agers - and - I sold them at my son's gymnastics meets when we were raising money.   They were always very popular and so good!   Much better than the "boiling" preparation!

Glad you tried them.   I think the method used to be in one of the old Rival manuals.

False
    Tria

TriainAtlanta--Thanks for clearing up who posted about them.  And thanks for your original post...I'm so glad I saw it.  Sure do like those slow cookers!

carole

False

-Will Rogers

Do you just put the hot dogs in the crockpot - or do you add some liquid? 

False

Just put them in the crock pot---no liquid.  I used a small crock pot, so I did mix them up every now and then so that the top ones could get a little browner.  And they were so juicy!!

carole

False

-Will Rogers

Thanks!    Anna

False
    Making Hot Dogs in a Crock pot

You don't have to add any water. I got the idea, originally,
    from an old Rival recipe.

I used to make them for Gymnastic meets when my boys did gymnastics in high school.
    Actually - we sold them at some of the meets.

I would also make hot dog chili to put on them sometimes - or at least when we had
    a smaller gathering or a party for the kids.

You just pile the hot dogs in the crock pot and cook it on high for about an hour.
     If you are going to leave them longer - turn them to low.
    I do them the way Tria says

. It's what my crockpot cookbook says, too. Just throw them in. No water or anything needed, and cook on low.

They will brown as they touch the sides of the crockpot. They are easy and good.

Tip: Put chili in another crockpot and they can make chili dogs!!

Posted by: arelabs

Hot dogs in one crock pot and chili in another. That's definitely a winning combo. Good idea Tria. Chili dogs!

Original Flint, Mich. Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce

1TB butter
    1TB margarine
    1-1/2 lb LEAN ground beef
    2 md onions minced
    1 clove garlic minced
    3 TB chilli powder
    1 TB prepared mustard
    1 (6oz) can tomato paste
    1 (6oz) can water
    4 / 5 cheap skinless hot dogs
    salt and pepper to taste

Do NOT brown beef before using!!

Combine all except hot dogs and simmer until thick.
    Grind the hot dogs [or chop in food processor] stir in and cook 15 min longer.

Store in frig or freeze some.

Use over GOOD casing type hot dogs with chopped onions and mustard. The big secret in this recipe is the
    ground cheap hot dogs.

This is the original Flint [MI] Coney Island sauce. Best around anywhere.

False

This sounds great. I never thought of putting hot dogs in a crock pot. Thanks for posting.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

Thanks can't wait to try it.

False

This is very easy entertaining for a kids or Teen party.   The chili even appeals to the adults.   I like cole slaw with my "dogs" and chopped onions - plus mustard.   Many like catsup and pickle relish also.   Nowadays - you might want to use the turkey hot dogs (I don't like them) but definitely use good hot dogs - I prefer the Kosher or all beef hot dogs.   They really do taste more like the ones you buy at the ball parks!

False
    Tria

Yes  up

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

I cook hot dogs that way all the time. DH likes Brats cooked that way too.  I just throw in hot dogs and brats. Make chili sauce, cole slaw and dice onions. A great meal with frys on the side.

False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    Hi There! I am making hot dogs for 30 people and have a pretty big crock pot. I would like to keep them warm for a 3-4 hours. Do you think it will work? How did they look when you took the last ones out? Thanks so much for your time! Lisa
    False

I'll bump this so that someone can answer Lisa's question. 

False

I never thought of cooking dogs in the crockpot!  I love this idea!  Thank you! :)  

False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/