Metal bread baking tubes???? (heart, star, scallop shapes) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Metal bread baking tubes???? (heart, star, scallop shapes)

Last post Apr 02, 2012 12:29 AM by Margielou_wa . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Metal bread baking tubes???? (heart, star, scallop shapes)

Yesterday, at the Salvation Army thrift store, I picked up a box of 3 baking tubes. It did not contain any instructions on the use of these tin shapes or recipes to go with them.

Have any of you fine folks ever used this type of baking tubes? If so, would you mind posting any advice, tips, baking times, how to's for me"

Baking Tubes

You can make star, heart and flower-shaped sandwich breads with these tubes.
    False
  • Re: Metal bread baking tubes???? (heart, star, scallop shapes)

I got mind at the Goodwill store...no instructions. I just got the heart & the scallop one-no star.  I think you're supposed to bake a firmer yeast dough in them...I have made banana bread in them.  My 1st attempt was when I discovered the runny dough was dribbling out the bottom as I was pouring it in the top.  So, the next time I used heavy-duty aluminum foil pressed around the bottom & then capped it...that worked...think I baked it about 45 min.  Maybe someone here got them new w/the instructions.  I've just made the quick breads in them...just make sure the bottom is firmly covered.  Mine don't have any kind of a vent.

False

They are Pampered Chef products. Maybe you could go online to see of they have recipes. I seem to remember baking a refrigerated tube of French Bread in one. I think you can use them for 'can breads.' I used mine ofr cookie cutters and sandwich cutters moe than anything else.

False

Product Use and Care
    #1565 Scalloped Bread Tube

Use our exclusive Scalloped Bread Tube to make attractive scallop-shaped canapés, breakfast breads, miniature sandwiches and desserts. Made of tinned steel for even heating, the top lid features a vent for steam release during baking.

How to Use
    • Wash prior to first use.
    • Use to bake packaged refrigerated bread dough or frozen bread dough that has been thawed. Bread tube is not recommended for use with brownie, quick bread or cake batters, cookie dough or gelatin mixtures.
    Using a one pound loaf of frozen bread dough
    1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
    2. Lightly spray inside of bread tube and lids with nonstick cooking spray. Place lid (without vent hole) on bottom of bread tube.
    3. Cut about 2 inches of dough from one end of loaf.
    4. Place dough in bread tube. Place top lid (lid with vent hole and marked “TOP”) on top of bread tube.
    5. Immediately place bread tube upright on lower rack of oven. Bake 50-60 minutes, until ends are golden brown.
    6. Remove bread from bread tube and place on cooling rack; cool completely, then slice.
    NOTE: When using bread tube with softened ice cream, yogurt or sherbet mixtures, it may be necessary to line bottom lid with Parchment Paper to prevent leakage. Fold a 15-inch square sheet of Parchment Paper into fourths. Place between lid and bottom of bread tube; cap with top lid before freezing.

Other Creative Uses
    • Use as a form for creating frozen dessert treats. Fill bread tube with softened ice cream, frozen yogurt or sherbet; place lids on top and bottom and freeze 4-6 hours or overnight. To unmold, wrap a warm, damp kitchen towel around tube 1-2 minutes to loosen frozen mixture. Remove lids from bread tube; push contents out onto cutting board and cut into slices. (Do not store frozen food in bread tube for extended periods of time.)
    • Cut decorative shapes from rolled-out cookie dough, biscuit dough, pie crust or puff pastry.
    • Cut shapes from sliced bread, cheese or deli meats, then assemble to make miniature snack-size sandwiches.
    • Create crispy rice cereal and marshmallow treats. Spray bread tube with nonstick cooking spray. Fill with warm cereal mixture, pressing evenly to fill tube; place lids on top and bottom and cool completely. Remove lids from bread tube; push cereal mixture out onto cutting board and cut into slices. Decorate, if desired.
    How to Clean
    • Hand wash; rinse and towel dry immediately.
    • Bread tube is not dishwasher-safe. Rusting will occur if bread tube is left to soak in water.
    Guarantee
    • Manufacturer’s 3-year guarantee covers product repair or replacement only.
    False

Canape French Bread
     Ingredients:
    1   package (11 ounces) refrigerated French bread dough
     Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray inside of Scalloped Bread Tube and lids with nonstick cooking spray. Place lid on bottom of bread tube; fill tube with dough. Place lid on top. Bake, upright, 50-60 minutes. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes.
    2. Remove bread from tube to Stackable Cooling Rack; cool completely. Cut bread into 1/4-inch-thick slices with Serrated Bread Knife.
    Yield: 24 slices (1 loaf)

Nutrients per serving: (Light) (2 slices): Calories 60, Total Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 11 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 160 mg, Fiber 0 g

Cook’s Tips: One (1-pound) loaf frozen bread dough can be substituted for the refrigerated bread dough. Thaw dough according to package directions. Divide dough in half using Serrated Bread Knife; reserve one half in refrigerator for later use. Place dough half in prepared Bread Tube; place lid on top of Tube. Allow bread dough to rise in a warm place for 2-3 hours or until Bread Tube is 2/3 full. Bake and cool as directed above. Repeat with reserved dough half, if desired.

If using homemade bread dough, place enough dough in prepared Bread Tube to fill approximately half full; place lid on top of Tube. Allow bread dough to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until Bread Tube is 2/3 full. Bake and cool as directed above.

The Scalloped Bread Tube can be used as a large cookie cutter. You can also use it to cut out crisp rice cereal treats. Spray the tube with a little nonstick cooking spray to avoid sticking.

For sandwiches that are fun to eat, simply assemble sandwich ingredients as usual and cut out the center with the Scalloped Bread Tube. Crusts get cut off, and the sandwich is instantly transformed into a neat shape!

To toast bread slices, preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange slices in a single layer on flat Baking Stone. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely.

Variation: Cinnamon Swirl Bread: Remove bread dough from package; unroll dough onto flat surface. Brush dough with 1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine using Pastry Brush. Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over dough. Starting at long edge, roll up dough. Place dough in prepared bread tube. Bake as directed above.

False

Cucumber Party Canapes
    Ingredients:
    1   package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    1/4   cup sour cream
    1   teaspoon dried dill weed
    1   teaspoon lemon zest
    1   cucumber
    1   loaf Canape French Bread, sliced
    1   cup cherry tomatoes, halved

Directions:
    1. In Small Batter Bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, dill weed and lemon zest; mix well. Cut cucumber crosswise into 3 equal sections. Peel, seed and coarsely chop one cucumber section. Add to cream cheese mixture; mix gently. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
    2. Thinly slice remaining cucumber sections using Ultimate Slice & Grate; cut each slice in half. Slice canape bread into eighteen 1/2-inch slices using Serrated Bread Knife.
    3. To assemble canapes, place 1 scoop cream cheese mixture onto each bread slice using Small Scoop, spreading evenly. Top each canape with 1 cucumber slice and 1 tomato half. Serve immediately.
    Yield: 18 canapes

False

Garden Pizza Appetizers
     Ingredients:
    1   package (10 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
    2   garlic cloves, pressed
    1   tablespoon olive oil
    1   package (8 ounces) block mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
    1   medium tomato, thinly sliced
    1/2   cup chopped green bell pepper
    2   tablespoons chopped green onion
    1/2   teaspoon dried basil leaves
    1/2   teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    salt and ground black pepper to taste
     Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray Bread Tube with vegetable oil spray. Place pizza dough in tube; bake upright 55-60 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from tube. Cool completely. Cut bread into 15 slices with Serrated Bread Knife. Arrange bread slices on Large Round Stone.
    2. In small bowl, combine garlic and oil. Brush oil mixture over bread slices using Pastry Brush. Cut cheese into 15 slices; cut each slice in half. Arrange two halves on top of each bread slice. Place tomato slice on top of cheese. Top with bell pepper and green onions. Sprinkle with basil and oregano.
    3. Salt and pepper to taste using Salt and Pepper Mill. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
    Yield: 15 servings

False

Savory Vegetable Mini Quiches
     Ingredients:
    1   package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
    1/2   cup milk
    2   eggs
    4   slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and chopped
    1/2   cup finely chopped zucchini
    1/2   cup finely chopped mushrooms
    1   green onion with top, sliced
    1/2   cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
    1   garlic clove, pressed
    Dash of ground black pepper
     Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Let pie crusts stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Lightly spray Deluxe Mini-Muffin Pan with vegetable oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Whisk milk and eggs in Classic Batter Bowl.
    2. Chop bacon, zucchini and mushrooms using Food Chopper. Add bacon, zucchini, mushrooms, green onion, cheese, garlic pressed with Garlic Press and black pepper to batter bowl; set aside.
    3. On lightly floured surface, roll one crust to a 12-inch circle using Baker's Roller™. Using Scalloped Bread Tube, cut out 12 pastry pieces. Press one pastry piece into each muffin cup using Mini-Tart Shaper. Repeat with remaining crust to fill remaining muffin cups.
    4. Using Small Scoop, fill each muffin cup with a rounded scoop of vegetable mixture. Bake 17-20 minutes or until crusts are light golden brown. Cool in pan 2 minutes; carefully remove mini quiches from pan. Serve warm.
    Yield: 24 appetizers

False
    VALTROMPIA HORS D'OEUVRES BREAD

3 cups bread flour
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 pkg. yeast
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 cup plus 2 tbsp. warm water, 105-115 degrees
    1 pkg. Dilly Dip Herb Mix (or herbs of your choice)

Processor Method:
    Put flour, salt and herbs in work bowl with metal blade. Proof yeast in water plus sugar. While processor is running, pour in yeast mixture. Process 40 seconds from time it starts to blend.

Hand Method:
    Proof yeast and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in flour, salt and herb mix. Turn out on floured canvas cloth. Knead 10 minutes.

Let rise until double in a greased, covered bread rising bowl. About 1 hour.

Divide dough in half. Roll into log shape about 7-inches long. Place in well greased Valtrompia mold (star-shaped bread tube). Cap ends. No need to rise a second time.

Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 60 minutes.
    False

NORTH STARS

1 package (10 ounces) refrigerated dough
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
    1//2 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 package (0.7 ounce) dry Italian salad dressing mix
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray Star Valtrompia Bread Tube with vegetable oil spray.

Place bread dough in tube and bake 50 minutes. Let cool before thinly slicing with Serrated Bread Knife.

Combine cheese, mayo, sour cream and Italian dressing in Batter Bowl.

Drop about 1 teaspoon of cheese mixture on bread slices with Stainless Steel Scoop. Sprinkle with peppers.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or till slightly crisp.

Yield: 28 to 32 appetizers.
    Source: Pampered Chef
    Submitted by Mary de Frank

False

red_savage1...I'm so glad you asked this question....I've been using mine wrong.  I can say that capping the bottom w/foil + the cap has allowed me to bake nut breads...I've made them for dessert platters at a bridal shower & were pretty sliced into flowers & hearts.  But now I've gotten lots more information & ideas for using them.

False

I remember years ago I bought Rhode's frozen dough loaves and baked them in those tubes.  I think they were put in frozen, then when they rose they filled up pretty much the whole tube (but make sure you grease the inside really good).

Here's a couple of sites that give you hints.

http://baking.about.com/b/2008/05/22/decorative-baking-tubes.htm

http://baking.about.com/od/breads/ht/bakingwithtubes.htm

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

Wow!! Post a question. Go do laundry and tend a sick kid, come back and you folks gave me all kinds of tips, recipes.

A big THANK YOU to each and every one of you for the information and time you took to answer my question.

Beverly

False

red_savage1

Yesterday, at the Salvation Army thrift store, I picked up a box of 3 baking tubes. It did not contain any instructions on the use of these tin shapes or recipes to go with them.

Have any of you fine folks ever used this type of baking tubes? If so, would you mind posting any advice, tips, baking times, how to's for me"

Baking Tubes

You can make star, heart and flower-shaped sandwich breads with these tubes.

False

I have some of these tubes and have never used them.  I'm glad to see the directions and suggestions for using them.

False