Please give me your best Christmas salad recipe! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Please give me your best Christmas salad recipe!

Last post Dec 13, 2008 10:23 PM by cookguy . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Please give me your best Christmas salad recipe!
    I'm to make a salad for our Christmas meal and I'd like a really good, knock-em-dead recipe for a salad. Molded jello or not, one that will be delicious and refreshing to counterbalance that rich meal. TIA. Lorraine
    False
  • Re: Please give me your best Christmas salad recipe!

Strawberry Salad

l bag of mixed greens

l bag of spinach

wash and mix in a decorative bowl, toss in 1/2 cup of almonds or walnuts, add 1 quart sliced in half strawberries. Right before your ready to serve toss in a bottle of chilled raspberry vinegerette dressing.

False

JELLO ICE CREAM SALAD  
    1 (3 oz.) pkg. Jello
    3/4 c. boiling water
    1 pt. vanilla ice cream
    1 c. crushed pineapple
    1/2 c. chopped nuts
    Dissolve Jello, add ice cream until melted. Add nuts and pineapple; mix well. Pour in mold. Chill until firm.

False

My daughter made this for our Thanksgiving dinner and it is now a tradition at our house - it was very good!

Strawberry Pretzel Salad

1-1/2 sticks margarine, melted
    1-1/2 cup pretzels, crushed
    1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons sugar
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
    1 large carton Cool Whip
    1 (6 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O
    (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries, thawed

Cream 3 Tablespoons sugar and butter; add pretzels, mix well, press into 9 x 13 pan.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
    Cool.

Combine cream cheese and 1 cup sugar; cream until smooth.
    Fold in Cool Whip.
    Spread over cooled crust.

Dissolve strawberry Jell-O in one cup boiling water.
    Add 1/2 cup cold water, stir in strawberries, let chill partially, spread over cream cheese filling.
    Chill overnight.
    False
    Here is the recipe for the salad:
    Walnut Jewel Salad (from the 70's)
    6 oz. strawberry gelatin
    1/2 t. salt
    2 c. boiling water
    1 can crushed pineapple, pineapple tidbits, or pineapple chunks (save juice)
    2 T. lemon juice
    cold water
    2/3 c. sliced fresh cranberries (I freeze extra at Thanksgiving and Christmas and slice them frozen as I need them)
    1/2 c. diced celery (original called for 1/4 c. celery)
    1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Dissolve gelatin and salt in boiling water. Drain pineapple. Combine pineapple juice, lemon juice, and enough cold water to make 1 2/3 cups water. Combine cold water mixture into hot mixture. Chill until slightly thickened. Fold in all other ingredients. Chill until firm. This is a good salad. The strawberry jello keeps the cranberries from being too tart and I like the pretty colors and the crunch. I have tried it with cranberry jello, but did not like it as well. I am not having much luck at getting people to try this. It is yummy. Really! And you can make it with sugar free jello and it is just as good
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

It's become a tradition for me to make this salad every Christmas.  I make the whole recipe because it's so popular.

Normal 0

MOM’S CRANBERRY SALAD

(Recipe can be cut in half)

2 - 3 oz. pkgs. Lemon Jell-O Lite (for Kevin)

1 - 19 oz. can crushed pineapple (drained - keep juice)

2 cups ground cranberries

2 cups ground apples with peel

1-1/2 cups sugar

Put cranberries and apples through chopper or food processor:

Add crushed pineapple and sugar.  Mix well.  Let sit to combine flavours.

Dissolve Jell-O light using 2 cups boiling water.  Add pineapple juice and cold water to make 1-3/4 cups.

Put Jell-O in frig. until consistency of egg white.  (3/4’s of an hour?)

Combine and return to frig.

False

I am eating this right now, and it is so delicious . . . and beautiful.  Get the cranberries ASAP, as they are so short sessoned, they may already be gone.  CeCe

Apple Walnut Salad With Cranberry Balsamic Dressing

Pick up a bag of cranberries while they are in season, to freeze and use all winter for this absolutely delicious salad.  Be sure and use white balsamic vinegar, not the dark kind.
     DRESSING:

½ c.        fresh cranberries

¼ c.        white balsamic vinegar

1 T.         sugar

c.        red onion, chopped

1 T.         Dijon-style mustard

1 c.         vegetable oil

salt and pepper to taste SALAD:

10 c.       mixed salad greens

2              Honey Crisp apples, or                 Asian pears, peeled,                 cored, and chopped

½ c.        blue cheese crumbles

½ c.        dried cranberries or                 pomegranate seeds

1 c.         walnuts

c.        brown sugar

In a food processor or blender, combine the cranberries, vinegar, onion, sugar, and mustard.  Process until smooth.  Slowly add the oil.  Season with salt and pepper. In a salad bowl, toss together the greens, apples, blue cheese crumbles, and sugared walnuts.  Add just enough of the dressing to nicely coat it.  Toss and serve. For sugared walnuts, put about cup of brown sugar in a microwave-proof bowl.  Add 2-3 t. water and 1 cup whole walnuts.  Mix up and microwave on high for 2 minutes.  Stir, and microwave another 1 minute, watching carefully so they do not burn.  Immediately spread out on a sheet of waxed paper to cool.  When cooled, put into a zip-lock bag and roughly break them up with a meat hammer.    

False

I really enjoy frozen cranberry salad.  A tea room in my area serves this and it is so good.  When I make it I freeze it in  a paper lined muffin tin for individual servings. 

FROZEN CRANBERRY SALAD

1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
    2 tbsp. sugar
    1 can jellied cranberry sauce or whole berry
    1 can drained, crushed pineapple or tidbits
    1/2 c. chopped pecans
    1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip
    Cream together cheese and sugar. Fold in cranberry sauce, pineapple, and nuts. Fold in Cool Whip. Freeze until firm. Best to take out of freezer 15 minutes before serving

False

Here's another favorite. Posted by Casslepier. 

Great Cranberry & Grape salad for the holidays

I posted this last year and don't know if anyone tried it but this one is SOOO good! I look so forward to this every year when my sister's MIL makes it!
    Kim

CRANBERRY GRAPE SALAD
    1 bag cranberries, ground up
    1 cup sugar
    1 can crushed pineapple, drained
    1 1/2 cups grapes (preferably red seedless), cut in half
    Cool Whip

Mix cranberries, sugar, pineapple, and grapes together. Let sit for one day in the refrigerator. Drain off any excess liquid. Add cool whip when ready to serve.

False

When I saw your post I just had to send you this recipe. It is a jellied Vegetable Salad recipe that not only tastes great but gives a very impressive presentation.It is not hard to make but it is time consuming. The best part is you can make it the day before.

Tri Colored Vegetable Salad

3 Cups Boiling Water

3 Pks. Lemon Flavord Gelatin (3 oz. each)

2 Cups Cold Water

1 1/4 Teas. Salt. (I use just a pinch)

2 Cups Shredded Carrots

1/2 Cup Mayonaise

1 1/2 Cups Chopped Cabbage (I almost Mince mine)

2 Cups Chopped Fresh Spinach or Cauliflower

1 Teas. Grated onion

In a medium bowl pour boiling water over the gelatin and stir til dissolved. Stir in cold water, vinegar and salt. Meausre 1 3/4 Cups into a small bowl. Set aside remaining gelatin. Place bowl in a larger bowl of ice and water. stir until it thickens then fold in carrots. Spoon into an 8 cup mold and refrigerate til set but not firm.Meanwhile measure 1 1/2 cups of the remaining gelatin  into a small bowl. With mixer or wire whisk beat in mayonaise until smooth. Stir over ice til it thickens then fold in cabbage and spoon over carrot layer.Chill until set but not firm. Meanwhile stir remaining gelatin over ice til thickkened. Fold in spinach and onion. Sppon over cabbage layer. Chill at least 4 hours. Unmold on a glass plate or leave in a clear glass bowl.

We have asso. meetings and meals and a lady brought this to the dinner. Everyone raved about it. I was lucky enough to get her recipe and have been making it for Christmas's ever since. Hope you like it, I know everyone else will!!

False

Here is my favorite Christmas salad.  It is very pretty and tastes really good.

CHRISTMAS SALAD

2 cups small peas (#303 can or 1 lb) (I use 2 cups of frozen peas)

1 can green beans

1 bunch celery, finely cut

1 green pepper, finely cut

1 jar pimento, chopped (I use a jar of diced pimento)

1 small onion, grated (I just chop it up fine)

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/2  tsp salt

1/2 cup vinegar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup water

Mix sugar, vinegar, oil and water together.  Combine remaining ingredients.  Pour liquid mixture over vegetables.  Cover and refrigerate. 

Serves 16-20

False

You have some very good sounding recipes here ~ I’ve made Kim’s….we have that every time fresh cranberries hit the store, very good!

This recipe is one that everyone looks for when we have any of our town or county parties ~ I’m stuck forever making this or might as well just not leave the house. *smiles* It’s on our table for company, holidays or anything special we have planed.

Prepare this ahead, store the peppers etc. in zip locks and assemble before dinner, a snap! This is a beautiful presentation ~ I’ve had people try this just because it stands alone in a buffet line; wishing you and yours blessings over the holidays!

Linda's holiday salad
    Posted by LindaChicken

1 large head of romaine lettuce
    1 large head of red leaf lettuce
    6 green onions
    (1) green bell peppers, (1) red, (1) orange, (1) yellow
    1 small pkg. of dried cranberries

In a large bowl tear up both heads of lettuce then chop up green onions, then sliver bell peppers and add cranberries. ****NOTE – if making ahead place peppers in zip lock (adding the dried cranberries just before serving).

Sauté following ingredients:

(2) packages of broken Ramen noodles (adding the chicken seasoning)
    1 stick of butter
    ½ cup of sesame seeds
    ½ cup sliced almonds
    *you HAVE to watch this it burns easy when browning!

{Drain on paper towel and let cool before adding to salad}

****NOTE – if making ahead store these in a separate zip lock adding just before tossing.

Dressing: (can make ahead)

1 cup of oil
    1/3 cup of vinegar
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup sugar

{Put in jar and mix very well}

To serve: Toss first two steps while drizzling dressing over the salad

False

Photobucket

Orange Salad

1 Small pkg. orange jello

1 1/2 cup hot water

1 small can crushed pineapple, drained

2 cans Mandrin oranges, drained

1 cup miniature marshmallows

1 cup sour cream

grated cheese for garnish

Dissolve jello in hot water. Stir all fruits into jello. Spread marshmallows on top. Let chill until set. Spread sour cream evenly over top. Garnish with grated cheese.

**I use a an oblong Pyrex dish for this and slice in squares to serve.

False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey

Cranberry Salad Supreme

1 3ounce pkg raspberry Jello

1 cup boiling water

1 16 ounce can whole cranberry sauce

1 3ounce pkg lemon Jello

1 cup boiling water

1 3 ounce pkg cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing

1 8 1/2 ounce can crushed pineapple

1/2 cup whipping cream  (to be whipped)

1 cup miniature marshmallows

2 tablespoons chopped nuts

Dissolve raspberry Jello in 1 cup boiling water. Stir in cranberry sauce; turn into 9x9x2 baking dish and chill until partially set. Dissolve lemon Jello in 1 cup boiling water. Beat together the cream cheese and mayonnaise. Gradually add lemon Jello; stir in undrained pineapple and chill until partially set. Whip cream; fold into lemon mixture. Fold in marshmallows. Spread over top of cranberry layer and top with nuts. Chill until set. 12 servings.

False

Cranberry Mousse

Ingredients:

• 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
    • 3/4 cup boiling water
    • 1 can (16 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    • 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
    • 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
    • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:

In a bowl, dissolve gelatin in water. Add cranberry sauce, lemon juice, peel and nutmeg; mix well. Drain pineapple; add juice to gelatin mixture and set pineapple aside. Chill until syrupy. Whisk is sour cream. Add the pineapple and pecans. Pour into an oiled 8-cup mold. Chill until firm. Yield: 10-12 servings

I got this from the Taste of Home Holiday recipe collection. This is really good if you like Jello salads.

False