How do I measure 1 lb powdered sugar from a 2 lb bag? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do I measure 1 lb powdered sugar from a 2 lb bag?

Last post Dec 19, 2008 10:17 AM by dreamwhip . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • How do I measure 1 lb powdered sugar from a 2 lb bag?
    When recipes call for 1 lb of powered sugar I always have a hard time figuring out how much that would be from a 2 lb bag without using scales which i dont have. I usually just sorta hold the bag in the middle and dump it out and that works ok for recipes that dont require exact measurments. But for the Buckeyes it makes a big difference in the dryness of the filling. I know that 4 8oz cups should equal 2 lbs but there are more than 4 cups in a bag. Of course that is dry measure vs. wet. How DO you measure out 1 lb dry? Karla
    False
    Karla
  • Re: How do I measure 1 lb powdered sugar from a 2 lb bag?

I think I would measure out the whole bag to see how many cups of sugar it contains, then use half of it.

False

According to my measurement chart, 3 3/4 cups of powdered sugar equals 1 pound.

False

Thank you Avid and Nanny, will be interesting to see if 3 3/4 cup IS half the bag.

Karla

False
    Karla

I would eyeball it -- about 1/2 the bag. 

I'm a baker at an elementary school.  If a recipe calls for 5 lbs of flour, and I have a 10 lb bag, I'm going to estimate.  I don't think you'd be off that much that the recipe would suffer.

False
    Well, that is old age for you. You can't hear sounds that everyone else can hear and you can hear sounds that no one else can hear. Not really a bit problem until you begin to hear voices that no one else hears.

I'm a long-time master of buckeye-making, and I've always used 3-1/2 cups unsifted powdered sugar as the equivalent to 1 pound of powdered sugar.  It's the documented equivalent in 3 of my best cookbooks.  Otherwise, if in doubt, take a look at the back of your powdered sugar bag... it should tell you how many cup servings are in the 2-lb. bag... halve the amount it dictates, and you'll be fairly close.  Good luck!

False

Thank you ! I will use the 3 1/2 cups next time.  I eyeballed it trying to just dump in half the bag and the dough was so dry it was crumbly. I had to melt some extra butter and peanut butter adding until i felt it was the right consistancy. Ok now if I could just figure out how to get this darned underline thing off....

Karla

False
    Karla

It's too late now, but the best solution is to weigh it out.

False

This is the C & H site.  It has a lot of good information.

http://www.chsugar.com/Consumer/substitutions.html

False

Thanks for the link, Nancy.  I'm so pleased to see substitutions for some things I can't get over here. 

Diana

False
    Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away! Click for Manchester, United Kingdom Forecast

deranger, would you share the recipe you use at school for those wonderful yeast rolls we used to eat

in school? I sure would appreciate it.

False