substitute for walnuts, pecans | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

substitute for walnuts, pecans

Last post Jan 10, 2009 7:00 AM by Alliea . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • substitute for walnuts, pecans

This could be a tough one. I can't eat nuts. Can I substitute something in baking?  Pretzels? rice krispies? oatmeal? 

I love nutbread, and am fascinated by the cherry pie bread that is on this BB. I know in some recipes I can just leave them out, but it seems like 1 1/2 cups is too much to just omit. (In this case, maybe I can use mini chocolate chips?) 

Yes, I realize it won't be the same. The hardest thing about the 'no nuts' restriction is that I miss the crunch.

By the way, do you know if they make a liquid nut flavoring? It is not in my local store.

False
  • Re: substitute for walnuts, pecans
    I bake for a kids group at church and many of the don't like nuts. I add Grape Nuts cereal in place of nuts. We like the crunch, but it's not nuts. Cheaper than nuts too.
    False

Thanks. Any other ideas? I want to try a few ways to make my grandmother's nutbread.

grandma's nutbread

1 cup sugar

1 cup milk

1 egg

1 cup ground nuts

3 teaspoons baking powder

2 cups flour

pinch of salt

Stir the nuts into the flour to coat. Then mix all ingredients at once. Pour into well greased loaf pan. (This recipe has no shortening)  Bake 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees, till it passes the toothpick test. Check earlier if you have a larger loaf pan. This is a moist bread, not like a cake.

False

There are flavoring out on the market for a nut flavor. But if you are allergic to nuts, you shouldn't use the flavorings either. I know the Walnut flavoring can taste like walnuts.

As for your recipes, I would try any dried fruit or raisins for replacement of your nuts.

Nothing can really replace the taste of the nuts, because nuts is a taste itself alone. But whatever you replace it with will change the flavoring of what you are making.

JMO!

False

Oatmeal, browned in a small amount of butter. Makes an economical substitute for chopped nuts in cookie, cake and pie recipes.

False

It isn't an allergy, but diverticulitis. I will try online for flavoring, I guess. Local store doesn't carry it. I am a 'contast' and "texture' person. I like cold and hot in the same meal, smooth and crunchy, etc. Nuts provide the texture in so many things, and the flavor of nuts is my favorite. I can use smooth butters like peanut butter, for instance, for some flavors....but the crunch isn't there. 

You have each given me a starting point, and I appreciate it. As soon as the icy weather clears, I will head to the store.

False

Red, thank you. I actually have oatmeal...and butter too. I will head for the kitchen, instead.

False

I see Red  Savage beat me to posting what I have used. 

False

Well, I just finished 3 slices of nutless bread. I heated old fashioned oatmeal in a skillet for about 5 minutes with about 1 1/2 tbsp of real butter. Then, I made the bread according to Grandma's recipe, changing nothing other than equal amount of oats instead of the nuts. The batter looked the same. It nearly tasted the same in the batter form. Then I baked. It did not 'peak' or crack at the top like Grandma's, but that is OK. The consistency was similar, maybe not quite as moist, but still held a slice. It tastes good. (See note above where I ate 3 slices) OK. Truth is, I spread real butter on it, and I would likely eat cardboard with real butter on it.

Would I serve it to company? Yes. I am even going to take some to my Mom in a few minutes.

Is it as good as Grandma's? Is anything ever as good as Grandma's? But, if I can find some walnut flavor to add next time, I would not hesitate to call it "Grandma's nutless  bread." I think she would approve. I miss her, and she has been gone for 52 years. Some people create a tremendous vacancy, don't they?

I will try the grape nuts after I get to the store.

cookie

False

I have heard that granola is a good substitute for nuts.  I personally have not tried this, but will in the future.

False

I use almond extract, and I also purchased a nut extract last year to make candy,  try your spice section of your supermarket (especially larger ones) and ask the manager if he can order for you.

Linda 

False

McCormicks, listed a Vanilla Butter nut favor,  and most stores carry McCormicks brand of extracts, and Sauer's listed both a black walnut, and a Vanilla Butter & Nut.  Both of these are brands available at a lot of stores,   Ask your store manager to order for you.

Linda 

False

Thanks Linda. I will have to go on a treasure hunt. I generally shop at Wal Mart, and they do not special order. At least now I know what I am looking for. 

False

cookiecarol, I tried the grapenuts in her recipe last night. It is also a very good substitute. Thank you for the idea. I may try the granola next, but wonder if I need to reduce the sugar in the recipe, or not.

Thank you, everyone

False

http://spicebarn.com/black_walnut_flavoring.htm  

http://spicebarn.com/butter_pecan_flavoring.htm

I would think many nut flavors in liquid form are made mostly or in part from nuts- don't know if that would be a problem for you?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diverticulitis-diet/AN01255 

From this Mayo Clinic article it does not sound like extracts should be an issue.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009