HELP!!!! I NEED HOME CANNING RECIPES! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HELP!!!! I NEED HOME CANNING RECIPES!

Last post Jun 10, 2012 9:39 PM by TKates . 30 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 123
  • HELP!!!! I NEED HOME CANNING RECIPES!

Hello. I need / want some new home canning or preserving recipes. I would love to have your favorite, or speciality. Pickles, relishes, vegetable, jellies, whatever. We have a big garden each year and Ii would love to have something new to try. Thanks   Becky

False
  • Re: HELP!!!! I NEED HOME CANNING RECIPES!

Welcome to the board!!!!!!!

You will love it here.

Zesty Red Onion Jelly.

1 cup of diced red onion

2 tsp of lemon zest

3/4 cup of white vinegar

3 cups of granulated sugar

1 package of pectin

Cut red onion into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into 1/4 inch dice. Measure 1 cup into a large; deep stainless steel saucepan. With a sharp knife or lemonzester remove 2 tsp of paper thin peel from a clean lemon.Add to saucepan. Stir in pectin powder and mix very well.

Bring the contents of pot to a boil. Add in the sugar and stir to disolve. Stirring often bring the pot to a full rolling boil. Allow to boil hard for 1 minute.

Remove from heat and ladle into hot stearlized jars. Add lids and caps and place in a boiling water bath. Bring to a boil and process of 10 minutes up to 1000 ft. I process mine for 15 minutes

Remove and allow to cool and set for 24 hours on the counter.

Makes apporx. 3 250 ml jars.

**NOTES: I add 1/2 tsp of butter to all my jellies to prevent bubbly scum from forming from the boiling process and I really never have to skim my jellies anymore!!!!!

For a nice vibrant color in my jellies I will use a drop or 2 of food coloring for show stopping colors! This is completely fine and food safe!

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

The best resource for trusted canning recipes is the Blue Ball book.  It is a paperback and it wasn't expensive, I use it every year and trust it a lot.

Janet

False

Strawberry Jalapeno Jam

3 3/4 cups of crushed strawberries

1 cup of finely chopped jalapeno peppers

1/4 cup of bottled lemon juice

7 cups of sugar

1 package of pectin powder

Wash, hull and crush strawberries, one layer at a time measuring 3 3/4 cups. Place in a deep saucepan. Add lemon juice and pectin. Stir to combine throughly. Bring to a boil and add the sugar. Stir well to disolve. Bring back up to a boil and boil hard for one minute.

Remove from heat and ladle into hot sterilized jars, aplly lid and bands and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Remove from canner and allow to cool and set for 24 hours.

**NOTES: I add 1/2 tsp of butter to all my jellies to prevent bubbly scum from forming from the boiling process and I really never have to skim my jellies anymore!!!!! I add this after the first boil.

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

Habanaro Gold

1/3 cup of finely sliced dried apricots
    3/4 cup of white vinegar
    1/4 cup EACH: finely chopped red onion, red bell pepper & seeded habanero or Jalapeno peppers
    3 cups of sugar
    1 pouch of liquid pectin

In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine apricots and vinegar. Cover and let stand at least 4 hours.

Add red onion, red and habanero peppers and sugar. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down. Stir in pectin. Boil hard, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim off foam and stir to disperse peppers. Ladle jelly into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch of headspace. Heat process jar in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

False

Mustard Pickled Beans

4 quarts of green beans
    3 cups of sugar
    ½-¾ cup of flour
    ½ cup of mustard
    1 tbsp of celery seed
    1 tbsp of tumeric
    3 cups of white vinegar

Wash and cut the beans into inch pieces and boil in salted water until tender.

Make the dressing using the sugar, flour, mustard, celery seed, tumeric and vinegar. Boil until thick, then add beans and mix well. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal. Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Makes 9 500ml jars.

You can replace half of the beans with cauliflower pieces and also add some pearl onions.

False

Yum Yums

Combine the following and let stand for 3 hours.

6 quarts of sliced cucumbers

1 quart of sliced onions

4 green peppers

2 red peppers

1/2 cup of pickling salt

4 quarts of cold water

At the end of 3 hours, drian and discard water. Add:

6 cups of vinegar

6 cups of sugar

1 tsp of tumeric

1 tsp of celery seed

1 ts of mustard seed

Bring to a boiling point. Put in hot jars and seal with lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes

False

Dilled Carrots

head of dill, 1 per pint
    small clove of garlic, 1 per pint
    baby carrots or large ones cut into fingers, to fill 1 pint
    pickling salt, 1 Tbsp. per pint
    1/3 cup boiling white vinegar per pint
    Boiling water, to fill jar

In a bottom of a hot sterilized pint jar, place head of dill and garlic. Fill with carrot sticks to within 1 inch of the top. Measure salt over carrots to within 1 inch of the top. Add vinegar. Fill with water to within 1/2 inch of top. Place sterilized metal lin on jar and screw metal band on securely. Process in a boiling bath for 20 minutes Let stand 6 weeks before serving.

False

Beet Pickles

20-25 large beets
    8 cups of vinegar
    7 cups of water
    5 cups of sugar
    whole mixed spices (in a bag)

Wash beets thoroughly then place in a large pot and cover with water. Cook beets, most medium beets need about 30 minutes. When cooked strain and place in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Peel the skins off and cut beets into cubes, place in a large bowl. In a large saucepan bring all other ingredients to a boil, boil for 5-10 minutes. Remove the spice bag and add the beets, boil for 5 minutes. Ladle into hot jars. Seal at once. Process for 30 minutes.

yield 7 (1L) jars.

Enjoy.

False

Apple Pie Filling

36 cups of sliced peeled apples
    1 tsp of salt
    1 3/4 tbsp of lemon juice
    3 cups of sugar
    1 tbsp of cinnamon
    Fresh Fruit Powder

Wash, peel & core apples. To prevent darkening use Fresh Fruit Powder following the directions on the label. Drain apples & place in a large kettle with the remaining ingredients. Bring slowly to a boil & simmer until all the sugar is dissolved (5 mins.)stirring constantly. Pack into hot jars leaving 5 cm of headspace. Seal & process for 25 mins. For pie: line a pie pan with pastry. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp of cornstarch. Add 1 jar of filling & sprinkle with 2 more tbsp of cornstarch. Cover with pastry, seal edges & cut vents. Bake 10 min. @ 425°F & then reduce to 350°F & bake 30 - 40 mins. more. Yield: 9 - 1 litre jars.

False

Kiwi Daiquiri Jam

2 cups of prepared kiwi friut (8-9 medium kiwis)
    2/3 cup of unsweetened pineapple juice
    1/3 cup of lime juice
    1 pkg. of fruit pectin
    3 cups of sugar
    1/4 cup of rum
    5-6 drop of green food coloring (optional)
    4 half pint jars

Peel and mash kiwi fruit. Measure 2 cups. Combine kiwi, pineapple juice and lime in a large deep saucepan. Gradually add the fruit pectin, stirring until disolved. Bring mixture to a full boil, stirring constantly. Add sugar, return to a full boil. Boil hard for 1 miute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir and skim foam using a metal spoon. Stir in rum and food coloring.

Ladle jam into steilized jars, leaving a 1/4 inch of headspace. Wipe jars and place on the lids and screw bands. Place jars back into the canner and process for 5 minutes. Remove jars and allows to cool for 24 hours.

False

I made the habanero Gold this year for Christmas gifts and got rave reviews on it. And it's soooo pretty withthe red and green flecks in it. Prolly the pretiest jelly I ever made. I'ts a keeper for sure. My guests were eating it by itself on  crackers LOL.

False

Becky a question for you and it might help you even more, but what do you plant in your garden? I know it is early yet, but what zone or area are you in? are you into pickles, jelly's? That sort of thing. A couple have mentioned the Habernaro Gold for instance. Have you tried pepper jelly? One thing many use the pepper jelly for is pouring over a block of cream cheese and heating a bit, eating with a variety of crackers, yummmyyy. But I also used the Ball canning book as recommended, very cheap for great recipes. Welcome to the board, waving from Louisiana, Connie

False

A friend gave me the following recipes and they are wonderful - but, the ingredients won't be coming from your vegetable garden.  Just wanted to pass the recipe along - The breads are a perfect size for two people or to give as gifts! 

Canned Bread (Betty McKnought)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

6 wide mouth canning jars, rings, and disks

2 2/3 cup sugar

2/3 cup solid Crisco

2/3 cup water

4 eggs

2 cups of the following: (any combination)

grated apples

grated carrots

grated zucchini

1 1/2 cup applesauce

1/4 cup pineapple  or banana

Optional: 2/3 to 1 cup dredged raisins or nuts

Cream sugar and Crisco. Add remaining ingredients.

Sift together:

3 1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/4 tsp. cloves

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

Add dry ingredients, mixing well after each addition. Grease the inside of 6 wide - mouthed pint canning jars. Fill each jar with exactly 1 cup of batter. NOTE: Even a single teaspoon too much of batter will ruin your CANNED BREAD!!!!!

Evenly space filled jars on cookie sheet. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Turn off oven - DO NOT REMOVE JARS!

One at a time remove jars, wipe the mouth of the jar, place ring in position and tighten ring. Return to oven. Repeat for each jar. After the last jar has been cleaned, close the oven door. It will take approximately 25 minutes for the jars to seal. Wait for the lids to pop. Remove from oven and cool thoroughly.

Shelf life for the bread is approximately 1 year.

False

WE LIVE IN CENTRAL TEXAS. GREEN BEANS, CUCUMBERS, BLACKEYE PEAS, OKRA,

SQUASH, ZUCCHINI, TOMATOES, PEPPERS,SPINACH, GREENS, AND WHO KNOWS WHAT MY HUSBAND WILL PLANT?? I HAVE A BALL BOOK, BUT I WANTED SOME NEW RECIPES THAT HAVE BEEN TRIED AND LOVED. THANKS BECKY

False