??? re old-fashioned boiled coffee with egg | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

??? re old-fashioned boiled coffee with egg

Last post Jan 29, 2009 12:22 AM by dreyfuss . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • ??? re old-fashioned boiled coffee with egg

When I was a little girl (a long time ago), I remember women in the ladies aid would make great pots of coffee.  They would mix the grounds with a raw egg (if I remember correctly) and then actually let the coffee boil for a length of time (I think).  Then by the time it was ready to serve, all the grounds had settled to the bottom, leaving really great coffee.  Is this basically correct?  Did the coffee actually boil for several minutes or did it just come to a boil and then was turned off?  Does anybody remember the proportions of coffee:water:egg and did the egg shells go into the pot as well? 

Thanks for your help!

Diana

False
    Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away! Click for Manchester, United Kingdom Forecast
  • Re: ??? re old-fashioned boiled coffee with egg

Egg Coffee For A Crowd

Source: Marlboro Country Cookbook

Heat 8 qts cold water to boiling in a large coffee pot; let water boil 2 minutes.

Put 1 cup ground roast coffee and 1 egg in the center of a square of cheesecloth. Bring up edges like a sack and tie tightly around coffee and egg. Make 3 more coffee and egg bags. Break eggs in cheesecloth bags and using hands, muddle together with coffee.

Drop sacks of egg-moistened coffee into boiling water. Boil 4 minutes.

Remove coffee bags and discard. Add 1/2 cup cold water to settle the grounds.

Makes 32 cups of coffee.

False

I didn't know they used the entire egg. I'd always heard they used the shell to "settle the grounds". We used to have an electric perculator and it perked for a few minutes.

False

My mother-in-law always did this when there was a crowd.  I can't call her at the moment, but I found the following online.

~~Vicki

False

I remember the ladies making the coffee with egg in the church basement when I was a little girl, and those who are still around say it was the best coffee. I have never tried it, and I wonder if they'd still say it's the best coffee, now that we have much more convenient ways of making quantities of coffee, because I do remember the coffee with egg in it was made in the big graniteware pots where you decanted the cofee into those fancy urns to serve it.

Even so, here's one recipe I found in our town's 1925 ladies civic club cookbook:

Coffee for 25 persons:

1 pt ground coffee into which stir one egg. Put into thin cloth bag. Add enough water to boil. Boil 5 minutes, then add 1 gallon boiling water. Keep hot, but do not boil. Ready to serve in 15 minutes.

The "Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook" first edition, 8th printing, 1953 says:

"Boiled" Coffee
    Actually there is no such thing as "boiled" coffee. Even though it is brought to boiling and simmered or steeped, coffee chemists advise not boiling it for even a minute.

Use 2 level tablespoons all-purpose grind to 1 standard measuring cup water. Eggs help to clarify; mix slightly beaten egg with dry coffee, using 1 teaspoon beaten egg to every 2 tablespoons coffee.

Place coffee in pot; add cold water; slowly bring to a boil, stirring occasonally. Immediately remove from heat; add 1/4 cup cold water to settle grounds; let stand in warm place 5 minutes. Strain into serving pot

My old favorite Betty Crocker says about it:

for 40 cups of coffee: mix 1 egg (shell and all) into 1 lb coffee. Add 1 cup cold water. Tie coffee in cheesecloth bag large enough to allow room for coffee to swell. Measure 7 qt cold water into large coffee pot. Immerse coffee bag in water, bring to boil. Remove pot from heat. Leave bag of coffee in water 3 to 4 min, remove and stir. Keep hot. If preferred, use boiling water to start, bring to boil. Stir. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 min. Remove coffee and stir.

False

from cooks.com

BOILED COFFEE (OLD-TIME) 
    1 c. med. ground coffee
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    8 c. boiling water
    1 c. cold water

Combine the coffee grounds with the egg. Stir together to moisten. Put into bottom of coffee pot. Add the 8 cups of boiling water and bring to a boil over medium heat. simmer for 4 minutes. Remove pot to low heat and add the cup of cold water; keep hot but do not boil; allow to stand for 10 minutes and serve.

False

dutchmom4MI
    I remember the ladies making the coffee with egg in the church basement when I was a little girl, and those who are still around say it was the best coffee. I have never tried it, and I wonder if they'd still say it's the best coffee, now that we have much more convenient ways of making quantities of coffee, because I do remember the coffee with egg in it was made in the big graniteware pots where you decanted the cofee into those fancy urns to serve it. 

Thanks, Vicki!  It sounds like we were "little girls" about the same time lol.  If you see this post again, can you tell me something?  I'm wondering whether this method of making coffee was typically mid-west (Minnesota) since that is where I remember seeing it or if it was the way people made "company coffee" all across the States at that time?  Are you from the midwest? 

Diana

False
    Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away! Click for Manchester, United Kingdom Forecast

Thanks, Footsie!  I don't remember the part about putting the coffee and egg into a bag but that makes sense.  Otherwise you'd probably have bits of egg white floating around even though the grounds settled to the bottom.  Yuck!

Diana

False

Diana,

Yes, I am from the midwest (now, Michigan and previously, Minnesota), but I've also lived in other states, as well.  However, I remember seeing coffee made this way in New Mexico, too.  So, the method may be the "pre-percolator"method for a large group.  (Also, used outside over coals when no electricity is available.)

I recall asking about the grounds getting in the coffee (when it is made without a cheesecloth bag).  My mother-in-law and grandma-in-law said the the egg with egg shells served as a binder that kept the coffee and egg/egg shells from being poured into cups.  The coffee and egg with egg shells would stay on the bottom.

~~Vicki

False

10 to 12 cups Water

1 Cup Regular Grind Coffee

1 Egg

1/8 Cup Water

1 Cup very cold water

Bring to a boil in an old fashioned Coffee Pot or large kettle the 10 to 12 cups of water.  In a separate bowl, mix the coffee, the egg and 1/8 Cup Water.  Remove the Coffee Pot from the heat and add the coffee mixture.  Stir and set back on heat bringing to a boil and boil for 2 to 3 minutes.  Take off heat and add the 1 Cup of very cold water.   The cold water settles the coffee grounds to the bottom.  This makes a very good clear coffee.  If you like your coffee weaker, reduce the amount of coffee.

False

interesting

False