ISO: Homemade dumpling recipe..like bisquick but don't have bisquick to use. Please help. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: Homemade dumpling recipe..like bisquick but don't have bisquick to use. Please help.

Last post Jun 10, 2004 6:44 PM by Homestyle . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • ISO: Homemade dumpling recipe..like bisquick but don't have bisquick to use. Please help.
    Hi!

I am making a chicken dumpling casserole tonight for dinner and it calls for bisquick to use to make the dumplings and I have always used that but I found that I am out and I don't plan to get to the store before dinner. Does anyone have a recipe similiar to bisquick that I could make my dumplings out of just using flour, baking powder and whatever else would go into it? Thanks so much! :) ~cydnee
    False
  • RE: ISO: Homemade dumpling recipe..like bisquick but don't have bisquick to use. Please help.
    ~cydnee~
    This is an Amish recipe for dumplings you might want to try:

Dumplings

1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 egg
    1/3 cup melted margarine
    3 Tbls milk

Mix all dry ingredients and then add egg and milk and stir just until moistened. Drop dough from teaspoon into boiling broth. Cover tightly for 15 minutes. Do not uncover until ready to serve.

Susie
    False
  • RE: ISO: Homemade dumpling recipe..like bisquick but don't have bisquick to use. Please help.
    Dumplings:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    Ice water
    To prepare the dumplings: Mix the flour with the salt and mound together in a mixing bowl. Beginning at the center of the mound, drizzle a small amount of ice water over the flour. Using your fingers, and moving from the center to the sides of the bowl, gradually incorporate about 3/4 cup of ice water. Knead the dough and form it into ball.

Dust a good amount of flour onto a clean work surface. Roll out the dough (it will be firm), into a thin thickeness. Cut strips about 1 inch wide and use as desired.
    False
    Thank you ladies so much! I posted just as I was leaving to pick up my son from school and it is so nice to get back and check and have my problem solved! Thanks a bunch!! ~cydnee
    False
    I have stew and dumplings on the stove as we speak. I have used this mix for years, it is wonderful. Linda

BISCUIT MIX

9 cups all purpose flour
    1/3 cup baking powder
    1 cup powdered milk
    ¼ cup white sugar
    1 tbsp salt
    1 lb (454g) pkg shortening

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly, as for pastry. Store in containers with tight fitting lids. No refrigeration necessary.

Biscuits – 2 cups mix, ½ cup milk or water. Mix with fork, knead gently, roll out, bake 450º 8-10 minutes. Makes 8-12 biscuits, depending. You can add grated cheese or raisins, add a bit of sugar if using raisins.
    Dumplings – 2 cups mix, 2/3 cup milk. Drop onto hot stew, cover, cook 20 minutes, no peeking until time is up.
    Pancakes – 2 cups mix, 1 egg, 1 1/3 cups milk. Beat until smooth.
    Shortcake – 2 1/3 cups mix, 3 tbsp sugar, 3 tbsp margarine, melted & cooled, ½ cup water. Knead 8-10 times, roll ½” thick, cut or leave whole, bake at 450º 10 minutes.
    False
    DL53, your mix would be great to use the new Crisco 0 trans fat product!
    False