How many minutes per lb. for cooking prime rib? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How many minutes per lb. for cooking prime rib?

Last post Feb 06, 2009 5:01 PM by piggykins . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • How many minutes per lb. for cooking prime rib?

Got one cheap at Christmas. It is a six lb roast and according to my Betty Crocker cookbook it says 34 minutes per lb. for med. I want between medium and medium rare so thought 30 minutes. Does that sound right? That would be three hours.

Thanks Elizabeth

False
  • Re: How many minutes per lb. for cooking prime rib?

This is so easy and fool proof. What I do and I sound like you between medium and medium rare is figure the time for rare which would be 30 minutes for rare and 36 minutes for medium. Therefore you cook it 33 minutes turn your oven off, wait and VIOLA! Perfect.  Enjoy....

piggykins

PERFECT PRIME RIB OR ROAST EVERYTIME

prime rib roast with or without bone (any size)

bottom round center cut

Preheat oven to 550F degrees.

Make a rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder and apply to meat. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan fat side up.

Roast at 550 at 5 minutes per pound for RARE, or 6 minutes per pound for MEDIUM and 7 minutes per pound for WELL DONE.

Turn off oven at the end of cooking time and DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR FOR TWO HOURS.

At the end of the 2 hours, remove meat from oven to slice (for a electric stove OR  1 hour 15 minutes for a gas); it comes out perfect every time.

Works the same with Roast beef. Try it you won't be disappointed.

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

This is the method I use, but I've heard some gas ovens won't work.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I have a gas oven, and this method works for me - in my oven.  I won't cook a prime rib or roast any other way.....

piggykins 

False

I have a gas oven, too. Does it really stay hot enough in there with the oven off to cook it? Thanks ladies.

Elizabeth

False

To perfection Stick out tongueYes ....

piggykins

False

Piggykins....I have another dumb question. Why is there a difference between the gas range and electric range as far as the turning off time is concerned? 45 minutes less seems like quite a lot. I presume you use the lesser time yourself beings you have a gas range.

Elizabeth

False

Elizabeth

There is no such thing as a dumb question, only the one that hasn't been asked.  I really don't know why there is such a difference, but all I can think is that is how different gas and electric are.  When I switched from electic to gas i BURNED everything.  I don't anymore....

piggykins 

False

Elizabeth

Your question made me want to find the answer out.  So, Here it it:

Gas - The heat stays the same.

Electric the temperature fluctuates

Therefore, the difference in standing time....

piggykins

False